Airfix Dambuster - 1/72 Avro Lancaster B.III

Ace work Tomo. Headed for the RFI. 🏃‍♂️

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful build I know the joy and pain of building a Lancaster and this beauty is one of the best. Hat well and truly doffed. 😃

Jont. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 6:38 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Thank you for the warm words Kalasinar. Hopefully it will serve as an inspiration and source reference for your build; but keep looking, there are some wonderful builds out there in all scales. As for the detailing, I realise you can't see all of it, and I confess to being a little obsessive at times. That said I really do enjoy it, and when I'm immersed in it I find it therapeutic, stress relieving, and love the sense of achievement and satisfaction afterwards. After all it's a hobby to enjoy and each to their own. As modellers we all have our individual quirks and styles and areas of interest. Some like exotic liveries, conversions, paint jobs or aircraft/vehicles/ships they've flown/drove/or sailed in etc. Some like a subject matter with an interesting history or back story. That's the beauty of it.

As for the filtering/weathering. Just keep practising. Try different techniques (plenty to choose from on here), google and YouTube are your friends. Don't be scared to have a go and post your builds up and engage in other WIP threads. The folk on here are a great bunch, plenty of fun banter and constructive advice. After a while you will settle down and establish a technique that suits your style and subject, be it heavily weathered, in service well-maintained look or factory/showroom finish. The most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the hobby.

Tom

Hi Tom

You're right on the money with how relaxing this hobby really is. Yeah sure it is frustrating at times but most art worth doing is. I just really admire the delicacy required to make such small items as you made and I'm wowed by your skill.

My Dambuster is complete now sans the aerial lines. I'm waiting to change my mandolin strings as I think the E strings will be perfect for the cables haha. I'm also planning an airfield diorama for it, so I need to get a display case made and I'm currently working on some select vehicles from the RAF Bomber Supply set. And I also have another Lancaster to make! I've been asked to make one for a family friend whose father flew one in the war. I've been given copies of the reports and debriefs, so this is going to be quite an exciting project. And I can learn from all the mistakes I made with the Dambuster!

Weathering is a tricky thing. How much is too much etc. I'm into this hobby for the history and the relaxation it provides me, otherwise I really don't know much about planes. I didn't weather the Dambuster too much compared to the Spitfires I did last year. I always feel there's a fine line, but as with most things, open to interpretation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, isaneng said:

Ok, please tell me that I was not the only one who had to go and look up Ocarina............

Sadly I suspect it may be a generation thing, I did not have to look them up.  😕

I regret that I am desperately hoping some happy day in the future my loss of faculties may allow me to forget the damned things

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/2/2019 at 8:00 PM, Kalasinar said:

I didn't weather the Dambuster too much compared to the Spitfires I did last year.

I did very little weathering on my Dambuster Lancaster, too. The aeroplanes were almost new when used on the dams raid, so I reckon they'd have had very little staining. 

Edited by Bell209
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi Tomoshenko,

I am very late to this party. I decided to get a last model kit for year 2022 after lugging back a 1/32 Tamiya F16C from my Hokkaido holiday.

The last kit is the Dambuster and this explains  how I ended here. This is one build that I will check back when I start my Lancaster build. 
Looks like there are a lot of detailing to do given the big greenhouse roof over the cockpit. An excellent build and nice weathering. Hope I can build to your outstanding skill.

I am thinking of building this plane flying over the water for a diorama. Would appreciate anyone can point me to any links for pictures and information for this. Thank You.