Airfix Dambuster - 1/72 Avro Lancaster B.III

Well, I'm seriously late to this party, but have spent a very pleasant few hours drinking in all the marvellous work you've done so far Tomo - who would have thought take away tin foil could ever be so versatile?! And those bullets are just brilliant!!

Really good stuff & looking forward to more!

Keith

• Like 1

Blimey Tom, I'm amazed and totally gobsmacked

They let you IN in a Ramones tee shirt?

Boozers in Brum have really dumbed down since the days of the Matador and Toreador opening in the Bull Ring...

Oh yes,the turret?

Jeez mate where did you get the electron microscope that let's you work so miniaturely

Its an absolute work of art, and the micromanipulators you use?

I expect they are missing vital techno-optical gear at one of our Universities

Tut tut

;)

Really delightful model making

As ever

:thumbsup:

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

Those turrets are looking awesome and the work you've done on them so far will give me a good guide for adding detail to mine. I'm replacing the gun barrels on mine with ones from Master. They make a huge difference as they have a lot more finesse about them.

Thanks for sharing,

Mark

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind words gents

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:40 AM, FZ6 said:

Those turrets are looking awesome and the work you've done on them so far will give me a good guide for adding detail to mine. I'm replacing the gun barrels on mine with ones from Master. They make a huge difference as they have a lot more finesse about them.

Thanks for sharing,

Mark

I have checked them out and they do look quite tasty. A wise choice.

Not much to report. I’ve been bogged down in folding little bits of 5 amp fuse wire in an attempt to replicate buckles. Very tedious and not worth showing until stuck onto the harnesses quite frankly.

I did get to sort out the identification lights. There are no instructions with the kit other than where to stick them, but they wouldn’t have been clear I’m sure. A brief trawl on tinternet and a browse on our own Britmodeller threads yielded plenty of contradictory viewpoints. Honestly, I thought it would be a brief bit of research, but I should’ve known better – various colours and order of colours, up there with the different variations of deep sea grey and cockpit green!

Anyroad I stumbled upon this discussion thread:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234953325-advice-3-lights-under-rear-lancaster-fuselage/

So I’ve opted to take the advice of our late colleague Edgar Brooks, whose knowledge of these matters is pretty much as definitive as it gets. Red, green, amber.

As to what they look like I stumbled across this site, with this page pretty much dedicated to lights and bulbs of RAF WWII aircraft. You’ve gorra love the tinternet aint ya. No matter how obscure a subject, be it Communist bee-keeping or bunions through history, there’s bound to be a website for it somewhere. Proved quite useful too.

http://spitfirespares.co.uk/lighting.html

In my attempts at replication I part drilled the rear of the transparency with a 0.3 drill. Small dib of silver, then painted front and back with Tamiya clear red, green and yellow. Finished off with a silver foil backing. Hopefully won’t look too bad when fixed in place and a little better than just leaving them clear methinks.

IMG_1780.jpg

Right back to buckles…

• Like 16

Hello, that looks great!!!! I really like that style. So many things in the kitchen or elsewhere goes into the bin without any notice. Mostly the best things for modelling tiny things. And clear paints seems to be more inevitable and fundemantal for me now to restore my old diecasts ( especially on  Matchbox's with their funny pop paints long ago). Good job!! Cheers :):)

• Like 1

Hi Tom, I'll have to show you a comparison photo of the Master parts compared to the kit barrels. They are a lot finer in diameter.

I came to the same conclusion as yourself with regard to the fuselage lights and installed the red one at the front followed by green and amber as you have.  I ended up using that metallic coloured confetti you can buy in card shops for the lights on mine and fixed it in place with Klear and it looks really effective. I need to update my build thread with more pics...

Regards,

Mark

• Like 1

On 01/02/2017 at 7:33 AM, Tomoshenko said:

Aargh you guys are finding me stuff to do :P You are absolutely right of course, that is the bomb sight they used, and I’m kicking myself because after your prompts I can remember it vividly from the film. Also a brief search on tinternet produces oodles of images. And as I am building Gibson’s stead, which attacked the Möhne Dam, then this would have been used.

Can't remember where I read it but somewhere in the plethora of books I have, there is something which says that they didn't use that bombsight because it was too hard to hold steady in any kind of turbulence. Most opted for a system using a piece of string tied to the securing nuts for the perspex bubble and with a small tab (not sure if it was metal or wood or whatever) attached to the middle of the string which the bomb aimer held against his cheek under his preferred eye. The sighting marks for the towers were drawn on the flat perspex plate with a chinagraph pencil. Keeping the string line taught - and God knows how they could see the pencil marks - they were able to drop their weapons more reliably than with the Y-shaped thingy. I have seen at least one photograph of this system but it gets no attention. I think this was mainly due to the film and the RAF not wanting to let too much detail out.

I shall keep look for it for you.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2017 at 9:43 PM, Tomoshenko said:

IMG_1780.jpg

Tsk tsk! Posting a photo of actual atoms with their electron clouds and thinking that we wouldn't notice. Shame on you Tomo.;)

Tony

• Like 2

I'm nicking that clear paint + foil technique for lamps and claiming it for my very own and I shall deny ever being here if asked. :) 

Seriously?  That's a cracking idea. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

An explanation for the lack of updates. Have some sad news. Recently my mum suffered a massive stroke and passed away having not regained consciousness. She suffered no pain, having lapsed into a deep sleep and passed on peacefully. Obviously a shock for me and dad. Got all the administration sorted and funeral arrangements done, so can now get on with things. Hence not much action on the build. Didn’t quite feel I could carry on here as if nothing had happened, and as Bill (Perdu) said to me recently, although this site is mere electrons and energy, it is a place where we share things and a place to go with people to chat with. Anyroad am feeling better now. Have been back at the bench and will have updates very soon.

Regards

Tom

• Like 7
  • Sad 1