Airfix Dambuster - 1/72 Avro Lancaster B.III

At last!  Effective recycling of foil containers! 

Seriously, the map holders, etc. DO look really good.

Don't forget there's a control wheel which falls naturally to the pilot's right hand mounted just below the pilot's raised floor level.  I can't remember if it's supplied in the kit or not. 

Which individual aircraft are you going to finish your model as? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brian said:

Elevator and rudder trim adjusters and landing gear selector levers

Exactly!  After I posted I looked at my Lancaster manual and there was the photo I was thinking of.  

Something tells me the 'wheel' is red.  I have some photos I took of NX611's cockpit somewhere but can't lay my hands on them just now to check.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I will be adding a couple of levers and control wheel etc. as no they're not supplied with the kit. I will be using the kit decals as per aircraft ED932 flown by Guy Gibson himself. I'm not an expert on the Dambusters but I believe the mine it dropped fell short of the dam, failing to breach it. Sadly I understand none of the original crew survived the war. The aircraft outlasted the war, but was damaged and then scrapped following a take off accident in 1946.

Wow! Great work with the old take away containers there old boy. What punch set do you have if you don't mind me asking? I bought some a month or so ago but they are a bit heavy duty for my needs, and all the model ones seem super expensive.

keep it up Tomo.

Johnny.

• Like 1

Johnny they are the RP Toolz punch and die sets: http://rptoolz.unas.hu/en/spl/427615/Punch-and-die-sets

I have both the circular sets – you can get hexagonal and rivet sets too if you so desire. You are right though, they aint cheap. However, they are quality and will last so in my view it’s worth the outlay to get decent kit you only have to buy once. The guys have a stall at Telford where I picked up mine a couple of shows back, so if you don’t fancy the postage or mind the wait you can wait ‘til next November. Although given the pound’s current demise (this time next year UK Sterling could be equal trading with the Mungo bean or Fallout bottle caps!) I recommend biting the bullet and getting yourself a set as soon as. You won’t regret it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

Johnny they are the RP Toolz punch and die sets: http://rptoolz.unas.hu/en/spl/427615/Punch-and-die-sets

I have both the circular sets – you can get hexagonal and rivet sets too if you so desire. You are right though, they aint cheap. However, they are quality and will last so in my view it’s worth the outlay to get decent kit you only have to buy once. The guys have a stall at Telford where I picked up mine a couple of shows back, so if you don’t fancy the postage or mind the wait you can wait ‘til next November. Although given the pound’s current demise (this time next year UK Sterling could be equal trading with the Mungo bean or Fallout bottle caps!) I recommend biting the bullet and getting yourself a set as soon as. You won’t regret it.

Thanks Tomo. You might have just covniced me. :lol:

John

• Like 1

Looking good so far. I like the detail you've added to the floor.

Can I ask what colour you're painting the interior of yours? I can't decide which bits I should paint interior green and which bits I should paint black.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:39 PM, FZ6 said:

Looking good so far. I like the detail you've added to the floor.

Can I ask what colour you're painting the interior of yours? I can't decide which bits I should paint interior green and which bits I should paint black.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for the compliment. For the most part I will be following the kit instructions as from what I've seen on tinternet they are broadly accurate. Although from reference sources the navigator's seat is cockpit green and not black as per the kit instructions.

Hello the cockpit is green They were just modified ordinary Lancasters. I guess, I read somewhere, that they were factory new ones. So I would go with green. Another thought: Why the hell schould they darken it to black for a low level raid at 18 m, when they put their big lights on for checking the height?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

That is a great link to the RAF Museum map - thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

I'll pocket that! Thanks Tony!!! :lol:

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:44 AM, TheBaron said:

Okay I’ll bite. I checked out the site copied and pasted some of the images, resized and printed them. Here are the results compared to the Airfix map transfer provided with the kit. Gorra be honest the kit supplied decal aint bad, but I think it is a bit too much Technicolour/Fujichrome vividness if you consider what the original 40’s prints would have been like. The kit instructions have you place it on the navigator’s table, which I think I’ll do – may give it a few scuffs to give it a “40’s parchment” look though. I will also cut out the maps and dam photos, fold em up and place them in the map holders. Probably won’t be soon but I like the idea. Hope your proud of yourself Tony…"Miss sorry I burned the school down but Tony made me do it…."

IMG_1510.jpg

As for you advice on the interior paint schemes. It would seem they echo that of a spag boll recipe (or as I’m from Brum, a Balti recipe), which are like snowflakes in that no two are the same! A little more research is needed methinks, although I stand by my reasoning that I don’t think the kit call outs are too far off the mark.

A little more progress as I’ve had a bit of lurgy and doing life stuff. Anyroad the kit doesn’t provide a radio operator’s seat so I knocked one up from bits of plastic. While I was at it I thought I’d replace the navigator’s seat as it was a bit clunky. Started by gluing load of plastic bit together with PVA, cutting and filing like thus until I ended up with this:

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

In the meantime I made some oxygen bottle holders care of more take-away tin foil.

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1511.jpg

With a little milliput for cushions and foil belts this is where they are. A little more realistic even though they’ll hardly be seen!

Once this was done I finished off the pilot’s seat. Bit of lead wire, lever and wheel which is red as Jonny states above.

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

Right that’s it for now. Bit more detailing in the pit to go but hopefully less tedious. Back later.

• Like 17

Blimey that looks ace. Every time I consider doing my lanc I see builds like this that make me realise how much work

im going to have to put into the office. I love a challenge me but holy moly it's one hell of an undertaking this plane. You however are doing this one proud. Nice work Tomo.

Bravo.

Johnny

• Like 1

Nice work with the maps and map holders, detail on the seats, etc. It's looking really good! I have this same kit in my stash and will get around to it someday. Hope you don't mind if I tag along. I'll try to behave, not like the @Procopius guy.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

On 1/7/2017 at 9:54 AM, bbudde said:

Hello the cockpit is green They were just modified ordinary Lancasters. I guess, I read somewhere, that they were factory new ones. So I would go with green. Another thought: Why the hell schould they darken it to black for a low level raid at 18 m, when they put their big lights on for checking the height?

Correct, the Operation Chastise Lancasters were all fresh off a seperate line and built to spec for the raid then delivered to Scampton. Yes, standard cockpit colour green.

Note, the reg number (ie ED932) had a /G suffix meaning "To be guarded" this was removed prior to the raid itself. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Mutley said:

Correct, the Operation Chastise Lancasters were all fresh off a seperate line and built to spec for the raid then delivered to Scampton. Yes, standard cockpit colour green.

I dont think they had a separate line for the production of these 21 aircraft but as I understand they were designated as aircraft to carry 'stores' and as such came off the line with a modified bomb-bay. Top turret merely had a hatch cover to reduce weight so to be able to carry the 'stores'. The arms, from which the bomb spun were added at Boscome Down where the prototype was evaluated.

Remember, there was a war on and the people (workers) were aware for secretly,  such things were easier to pass off without to much detail being released to the staff at Avro's.

• Like 1

So I'm a bit late to the party on this one, just caught up! Very nice work on the innards, I do like the take away foil idea (although all our takeaways seem to come in cardboard!). I have this in my to do pile so will follow along attentively, because it doesn't seem to be EDSG and white my knowledge on this type is quite limited. I also have the Revell version, one will be a Dam Buster and the other will be a late war Canadian variant. Looking forward to blatantly plagiarizing what I see here :D.

Bob

• Like 1