1/48 - Fairey Firefly Mk.1 by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

1 hour ago, Homebee said:

A test model on display at the SNCYM

https://www.facebook.com/TrumpeterModel/posts/913522318806362

Firefly.jpg

my first thought was that prop looks tiny....

firefly5.jpg

nearest I could find to the model angle

84b75e60668a6b4e14a3ffc2befff4b9--fairey

Firefly.jpg

The cannon barrels look off too,  

Be interesting to see better shots.   Anyone know what the plans floating about the web are like  accuracy wise ?

On 29/12/2016 at 19:49, Tbolt said:

Some of these companies just need to step back from the CAD now and again and ask themselves  does that look like a picture of the real thing.

34 minutes ago, Plasto said:

Break out the red lines Troy.....

as with all this stuff John, I'll wait and see when the plastic is actually out,  but when I saw the test photo that immediately struck me as odd,  so I went on an image hunt.   Plus red lines means downloading the pic and messing about in paint ;) 

The main parts look reasonable,   but I'm no Firefly expert, but @Tbolt  comment rings far too true.

I  know these kind of comments on Trumpeter releases are a model forum cliché,   but them look at the track record of British types stuffed up, so far, Vampire, Hornet, Whirlwind, Spiteful/Seafang, Defiant.

If the Firefly has good basic shapes, Barracudacals already do a prop and cannons for other available kits,  but the example above all suffer from really serious shape problems that are a lot of work to correct,  or are basically unfixable.

Trumpeter have done  a few  very good kits accuracy wise,  but they has other research them, Seahawk, Wyvern, and 1/24th Hurricane.

I still cannot believe given their penchant for British subjects that they have not taken the shrink ray to their 1/24th Hurricane,  as if they kept the shapes they got  in that in 72nd and 48th it would be best in either scale, it one of those rare kits the harder you look, the better it becomes (apart from the blinking recessed rivets and some other little glitches),   they really nailed subtleties of the Hurricane shape.

Worryingly the Hobbyboss easy build Hurricane does not appear to be the 24th kit shrunk though.

That prop looks ridiculous and they have simplified the intakes in the wing root extensions as well.

fairey_firefly_f__mk_i_by_sudro-d5ul2jj.

The wing root fairing looks too pronounced

10916L.jpg

Still the rest might be reasonable at first glance. It could make a passably accurate model with a replacement prop, spinner and wheels.

28 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Plus red lines means downloading the pic and messing about in paint ;) 

Surely advanced critique would demand a layer for the redlines in photoshop.  Plus one you had that you could easily reuse it for subsequent ‘apprasials’ of other test shot images.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Should the observer's glazing have triangular 'quarterlights' on the front edge?

Regards

Martin

At the risk of commenting on a kit that's not been released and I haven't seen yet...   ...the answer to your question is yes but based on counting the glazed sections of the real thing versus those of the kit, I think they've moulded the glazed section at a length that includes the quarter lights, you just mask out the glazed section for the quarter light and paint the rest.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NAVY870 said:

Everything from the firewall forward looks off.

To be honest, it looks a bit off on the reall thing too! At least the V was pretty! 

Seriously though, it's nice to see some new FAA stuff. Fingers crossed it won't require too much correcting!

Edited by fightersweep

1 hour ago, NAVY870 said:

Everything from the firewall forward looks off.

Was thinking the same myself :( The comedy 72nd scale prop is the most obvious problem but the main intake underneath isn't looking too clever either; although to be fair that may be an optical illusion brought about by the prop and quality of photograph.

Slightly off topic but does the Griffon ‘power egg’ nose have the same dimensions as that for the Lancaster I/III/VIII/X? I only ask because there is a distinct similarity there, prop and ‘cheek scoops’ excepted and marrying a spare Lanc nose may assist in any perceived error?

Trevor

51 minutes ago, hacker said:

5a46f3bb9013e.jpg

Notice this one in 1/72 as well. Been waiting for that bird to come

hacker

Now that looks like a Firefly!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wez said:

At the risk of commenting on a kit that's not been released and I haven't seen yet...   ...the answer to your question is yes but based on counting the glazed sections of the real thing versus those of the kit, I think they've moulded the glazed section at a length that includes the quarter lights, you just mask out the glazed section for the quarter light and paint the rest.

Fair enough!  Thanks.

I'm staggered that folk can come to the conclusions they have on this thread, based on a couple of scratchy images taken from odd angles and almost certainly taken on a cell phone and compressed when the images were uploaded!

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I'm staggered that folk can come to the conclusions they have on this thread, based on a couple of scratchy images taken from odd angles and almost certainly taken on a cell phone and compressed when the images were uploaded!

Thomo.

It is just that Trumpeter has let us down on shapes soooo many times, but hope springs eternal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike romeo said:

Now that looks like a Firefly!

Just mentioning it as it was just below the Firefly 

Hacker.....back to normal days again

• Like 1