1/48 - Fairey Firefly Mk.1 by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

I recognize it's only a photo in a catalogue, but it's the lack of attention to detail that is worrisome. Still, it being a photo means that there isn't boxart yet, so the project mightn't be that advanced - perhaps there's still hope. All they need to do is call.....;)

• Like 4

Once again after the Defiant announcement we ask 'why'? Do the Chinese not know what has been produced previously with, more than likely, more accuracy? As I've said before why don't they bang out a Firebrand that can be made decent as per their Attacker ...

Mick

Unlike Sea Vixen...Firefly makes much more sense, Special Hobby kit is everything but easy kit to build, and given both short run nature and resin parts many were waiting for full mainstream model.

On the other hand....will it resemble Firefly:unsure:

14 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

On the other hand....will it resemble Firefly:unsure:

At almost the exact time you posted this, over on the 'four words' thread (why, oh why???) was

"something resembling deformed smurfs".

Seems appropriate somehow.

It's not as if there aren't any Firefly Mk.1s left in the world - there's really no excuse to not get it right. It is sad but understandable that many of us greet this news with some fear and trepidation - as most new kit announcements by Trumpeter seem to be greeted. I really wish Airfix had announced one - we'd be 99% certain it would be a really good kit....

I think I will actually wait until the actual kit is available in the actual plastic before making any actual comment on it. I think this is a good choice of subject and,if nothing else, perhaps Trumpeter deserve a bit of gratitude for something slightly more imaginative than yet another P-51(yawns) or Spitfire(yawns again!)!😉😁   

Allan

• Like 6

On 12/27/2016 at 8:34 PM, Paul Bradley said:

I recognize it's only a photo in a catalogue, but it's the lack of attention to detail that is worrisome. Still, it being a photo means that there isn't boxart yet, so the project mightn't be that advanced - perhaps there's still hope. All they need to do is call.....;)

Yes but it's a bit like announcing a Spitfire Mk.I and using a MK.XIV for the picture. But history shows us that there's probably no one at Trumpeter that knows much about aircraft.

Anyway as with any kit I will judge it on it's own merit, not what company produces it.

7 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Yes but it's a bit like announcing a Spitfire Mk.I and using a MK.XIV for the picture. But history shows us that there's probably no one at Trumpeter that knows much about aircraft.

Anyway as with any kit I will judge it on it's own merit, not what company produces it.

I seem to recall Revell doing something like that not that long ago.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

I think I will actually wait until the actual kit is available in the actual plastic before making any actual comment on it. I think this is a good choice of subject and,if nothing else, perhaps Trumpeter deserve a bit of gratitude for something slightly more imaginative than yet another P-51(yawns) or Spitfire(yawns again!)!😉😁   

Allan

Whilst I agree that Trumpeter should be congratulated for tackling something other than a Mustang or a Spitfire, I'll reserve my gratitude for when the kit finally turns up and is something other than an approximation of what it's meant to be. 

They unfortunately have a habit of cocking up much wanted subjects with sloppy research, whilst their kits may go together well and have good surface detail they're as much use as tits on a fish if they don't actually look like what they purport to be (DH Vampire and Hornet and late Vought Corsairs for example)!  In which case I would have preferred them to have done another Mustang or Spitfire - at least there would plenty of choice for alternatives!  They can get things right - just look at their reproductions of Russian and Chinese subjects, I for one am looking forward to their 1/72nd Nanchang Q-5A for which I have high hopes and expectations for.  Sadly, the same doesn't apply to the Firefly.

If the kit turns up and looks like a Firefly I, I for one will be very happy and will buy one and congratulate Trumpeter accordingly, if it doesn't I'll shrug my shoulders, cry into my beer at another golden opportunity missed and give it a miss.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Whilst I agree that Trumpeter should be congratulated for tackling something other than a Mustang or a Spitfire, I'll reserve my gratitude for when the kit finally turns up and is something other than an approximation of what it's meant to be. 

They unfortunately have a habit of cocking up much wanted subjects with sloppy research, whilst their kits may go together well and have good surface detail they're as much use as tits on a fish if they don't actually look like what they purport to be (DH Vampire and Hornet and late Vought Corsairs for example)!  In which case I would have preferred them to have done another Mustang or Spitfire - at least there would plenty of choice for alternatives!  They can get things right - just look at their reproductions of Russian and Chinese subjects, I for one am looking forward to their 1/72nd Nanchang Q-5A for which I have high hopes and expectations for.  Sadly, the same doesn't apply to the Firefly.

If the kit turns up and looks like a Firefly I, I for one will be very happy and will buy one and congratulate Trumpeter accordingly, if it doesn't I'll shrug my shoulders, cry into my beer at another golden opportunity missed and give it a miss.

Trumpeter do research? ;)

Some of these companies just need to step back from the CAD now and again and ask themselves  does that look like a picture of the real thing.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Allan

Interesting concept, it'll never catch on!

As for Trumpies research I would offer VX.388 for access (had it been a Mark 5 as I thought before actually reading the caption under the pic) but I get the

feeling they would rapidly end up in my "never help again" file.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice artwork indeed. In fact it has a 40s period feel to its style that quite appeals to me and all the more so for featuring a Lossiemouth based machine. With any luck they won't make a pig's ear of the plastic kit inside the box.

• Like 1