1/48 - Fairey Firefly Mk.1 by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

Will someone take a hit for us and get one to run a ruler over it?

This is tempting as I find it an attractive subject. I would prefer a perfect outline. I’m prepared to accept some flaws. However if it’s excellent fitting majorly flawed crud, then no.

I know we’re marked as Trumpy bashers but let’s face it, their hit rate for British aircraft is dire and I feel we’re justified in fearing the worst but hoping for something that is fairly good.

Trevor

14 hours ago, Gorby said:

Amazing isn't it? A company gives us an interesting subject and although 98% of it looks good, everyone concentrates on the 2% that isn't. It looks pretty much like a Firefly to me (mind you I haven't finished counting the rivets with my magnifying glass yet).

And (covers head for the incoming flak) I like it and will probably buy it.

Actually, we don't know about the other 98% yet. That they couldn't get the shape of the elevators correct is a huge red flag that there are likely to be problems with the rest of the kit. I'll also point out that fixing this will take a lot more work than fixing the short shot leading edge on the vertical fin of some of the Airfix Sea Fury kits but Airfix gets bashed for poor QC in production while Trumpeter is given a pass for abysmal QC in product design.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 85sqn said:

At £45 from Hannants versus £33.80 for Special Hobbies version- I'll stick with SH.

If I could get the Trump version cheaper then I would give it a go

Once again from Trumpeter, a premium price for substandard goods.

Nope. Just no. Either get it right or don't bother. Without seeing more of the kit I'm thinking the spinner, elevators, and canopy/windscreen is wrong and that's already more than I'm comfortable parting with good money for when the Special Hobby kit is sitting in my stash. Another missed oportunity so I'm not about to encourage that sort of sloppy careless standard by paying for it.

• Like 1

This company, I cannot understand.

I would like to think that they just don't care about customers outside China, but who says that Chinese Modelers care about accuracy less that the rest of the world does. 

I cannot understand their billing policy either!

9 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Actually, we don't know about the other 98% yet. That they couldn't get the shape of the elevators correct is a huge red flag that there are likely to be problems with the rest of the kit. I'll also point out that fixing this will take a lot more work than fixing the short shot leading edge on the vertical fin of some of the Airfix Sea Fury kits but Airfix gets bashed for poor QC in production while Trumpeter is given a pass for abysmal QC in product design.

I don't think there are many folk on here that would agree that Trumpeter get a pass for abysmal product design! 

4 hours ago, DIO said:

I would like to think that they just don't care about customers outside China, but who says that Chinese Modelers care about accuracy less that the rest of the world does. 

I cannot understand their billing policy either!

After having google-translated topics in Chinese forums several times, I believe Chinese modellers are just as demanding as Western modellers.

For the pricing, I believe it depends on the demand and on the existence of another equivalent Chinese-produced kit. Take the Su-35S. On Taobao, the Chinese boxing of the KH Su-35 retail price is extremely agressive: 195 yuan. It's perhaps an attempt to "silence" the GWH kit by dumping the KH Su-35.

5 hours ago, DIO said:

This company, I cannot understand.

I wonder if, as far as Trumpeter are concerned, near enough is good enough. They obviously don’t set out to make inaccurate kits, but errors are inevitable. Whereas other manufacturers may take time to correct these perhaps Trumpeter take the view that the priority is to get the kit out in the market and start paying for itself rather than spend time and money on what, to them, may be minor corrections. Even if the kit is heavily criticised there will still be enough sales to make a profit. In the meantime, the next kit is on its way. 

• Like 2

Not as bad as I expected.

Elevators aside, theres a few niggles.

Instrument panel is well off (these have the same panel layout as the Mark 5 wot I've spent some time behind))

Same seats in both pits? I think not.

Control column is about half a kilometer too long

Few other things but it looks buildable with a bit of effort.

• Like 1

@NAVY870

thanks for the the heads up. You commented a while ago on the propeller and the engine fairing being out. Now that you’ve had a better view of the sprues, do you still think they are ‘off’ or only require some fettling?

Trevor

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

@NAVY870

thanks for the the heads up. You commented a while ago on the propeller and the engine fairing being out. Now that you’ve had a better view of the sprues, do you still think they are ‘off’ or only require some fettling?

Trevor

I think the issues of the prop on the test build throw off the look of everything else.

The top of the cowling looked too rounded but looking at the sprue shots its not that clear.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, davidelvy said:

I wonder if, as far as Trumpeter are concerned, near enough is good enough. They obviously don’t set out to make inaccurate kits, but errors are inevitable. Whereas other manufacturers may take time to correct these perhaps Trumpeter take the view that the priority is to get the kit out in the market and start paying for itself rather than spend time and money on what, to them, may be minor corrections. Even if the kit is heavily criticised there will still be enough sales to make a profit. In the meantime, the next kit is on its way. 

yep, commercial risk

16 minutes ago, NAVY870 said:

I think the issues of the prop on the test build throw off the look of everything else.

The propeller doesn't appear in the sprue pics. The diameter looks ok in the markings sheet. It's possible that Trumpy will have corrected the propeller.

11 hours ago, davidelvy said:

Whereas other manufacturers may take time to correct these.... 

The annoying thing is that it doesn't take days to review a CAD model and modify the identified issues (unless the issues are with cross-sections for example). It's just a policy matter: does TrumpyBoss think it could be of interes to them to hand out the CAD model export to some people for review ? We know the answer.

10 hours ago, Laurent said:

The propeller doesn't appear in the sprue pics. The diameter looks ok in the markings sheet. It's possible that Trumpy will have corrected the propeller.

Thats why I said "Test build"

4 minutes ago, Nearlymen said:

Err....the prop is in the sprue pics ! Third sprue down, top left is the spinner, btm right is the blades, it's just not assembled. Blades look longer than the original test build pics.

Ah yes thanks. I missed them on the smartphone.

56 minutes ago, AussiePhantom said:

... after buying their L-39 which was just poor design although a great subject.

What's wrong about it ? I was considering buying the ZA boxing.

12 hours ago, Laurent said:

What's wrong about it ? I was considering buying the ZA boxing.

Just by looking inside the box. First off they pre drilled the wings which is fine if they included external stores which they don't and at $65aud I should not have to plug up holes just to build the kit box version. Yet their A-37 and Mig-21 I have to drill out the wings to add weapons so go figure. Also they mention external tanks for the L-39 on their paint guide but not in the kit. Also one decal option is annoying again for the price they could have also added a military version too. Sure these are simple fixes but its 2018 and should not happen. I did preorder the ZA kit to do the military version and this one as a clean trainer.

On 07/03/2018 at 7:41 AM, IanF said:

I don't think there are many folk on here that would agree that Trumpeter get a pass for abysmal product design! 

Possibly true but, "on here" is not quite the same as " out there" and, I suspect that as their kits are actually selling "out there" I respectfully suggest that  many modellers simply aren't bothered one way or another? For myself, the point  is moot. I think the price is too high for a relatively modest sized model so,,I won't be buying it! Prefer the Mk V anyway!😁

Allan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Possibly true but, "on here" is not quite the same as " out there" and, I suspect that as their kits are actually selling "out there" I respectfully suggest that  many modellers simply aren't bothered one way or another? For myself, the point  is moot. I think the price is too high for a relatively modest sized model so,,I won't be buying it! Prefer the Mk V anyway!😁

Allan

Absolutely, and in no way was I aiming that as a criticism of the forums or it's membership, rather a nod to the collective knowledge on here that highlights these issues. 

I agree regarding the pricing, it does seem a bit steep.

All the best.

Ian 

2 hours ago, IanF said:

Absolutely, and in no way was I aiming that as a criticism of the forums or it's membership, rather a nod to the collective knowledge on here that highlights these issues. 

I agree regarding the pricing, it does seem a bit steep.

All the best.

Ian 

Hello Ian. Thanks for your response. Totally accept you were not criticising anyone. Apologies if my comment seemed to imply you were. You're quite correct about the collective knowledge on these issues but, I honestly think that they are of general concern to a minority. Like I said, if the kits are selling regardless, then these issues are not an issue for most customers. Simple reality and, the manufacturer knows it. That is however just a personal perspective.

I do not condone or condemn Trumpeter as, I have no interest in getting involved in yet more Trumpy bashing!!  :lol:. I have in fact built several of their kits (TU-16, TU-95, Westland Wyvern (1/48) Fairey Gannet, 1/32 MiG -19, 1/32 MiG -21 (two seater) F-107A, 1/32 MiG -23) I consider them to be well detailed, nicely engineered kits that assembled if not painlessly, then with few major problems. To be honest, that's all I really ask for! I'm no expert and am content to have a model that pretty much looks like the real subject.

The Firefly itself looks to be another nicely produced kit. If I were interested in the subject, I'd probably buy (warts and all!) if it were about £15 cheaper! I like Trumpeter's choices but, it's high UK prices that mainly put me off!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AussiePhantom said:

Just by looking inside the box. First off they pre drilled the wings which is fine if they included external stores which they don't and at $65aud I should not have to plug up holes just to build the kit box version. Yet their A-37 and Mig-21 I have to drill out the wings to add weapons so go figure. Also they mention external tanks for the L-39 on their paint guide but not in the kit. Also one decal option is annoying again for the price they could have also added a military version too. Sure these are simple fixes but its 2018 and should not happen. I did preorder the ZA kit to do the military version and this one as a clean trainer.

Ok thanks. It sound like there's no product manager as the design departement. Nobody supervises the designers (CAD, decals, documentation) and ensure that common best practices are used.

"but its 2018 and should not happen"... I completely disagree, it is because were are in 2018 that it happens: we are in the age of cost reduction and just-in-time production. We are talking about an industrial company, not about a modeller who produces aftermarket products in his garage.

Edited by Laurent