1/48 - de Havilland DH.110 Sea Vixen FAW.2 by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

On 12/18/2020 at 8:26 AM, Beermonster1958 said:

For the benefit of the uninitiated, would it be possible to post something a little more helpful  than "these decals are a joke surely"?

I don't wish to seem offensive  but, It ranks alongside such other fairly useless and vague comments like "it just does not look right" that have a similar lack of detail to substantiate them.

Specifics please so that we may all be enlightened.

John

The decal option i would have been interested off the sheet (No.3)  for example has the following problems:

The Vixen emblem for the tail seems too large and a bit crude, the serials are in the wrong font and thickness, but the worst part is that the aircraft they claim to represent. 

For starters with decal option 3 the sheet claims to be for Sea Vixen FAW.2, but the markings/squadron/year for the XN650 option is completely wrong, XN650 left 893 squadron being updated to FAW.2 spec and transferred to 892 squadron so would have been repainted and the vixen emblem removed way before 1970. XN650 did wear those markings, but it would be for the FAW.1 version at some point between 1961-1965, but to model her at that stage of her life would take a lot of scratchbuilding to build from the kit. Additionally HMS Centaur was taken out of front line service in 1965 so I doubt she had a squadron of Sea Vixen abord in 1970..

I didn't really look into the other options but with that amount of inaccuracies in 1 option i suspect that the other options on the sheet aren't much better. 

But saying all that I may get the decal sheet for a spare set of markings for the no step crosses. 

Edited by gareth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gareth said:

For starters with decal option 3 the sheet claims to be for Sea Vixen FAW.2, but the markings/squadron/year for the XN650 option is completely wrong, XN650 left 843 squadron being updated to FAW.2 spec and transferred to 842 squadron so would have been repainted and the vixen emblem removed way before 1970. XN650 did wear those markings, but it would be for the FAW.1 version at some point between 1961-1965, but to model her at that stage of her life would take a lot of scratchbuilding to build from the kit. Additionally HMS Centaur was taken out of front line service in 1965 so I doubt she had a squadron of Sea Vixen abord in 1970..

Centaur was used - briefly - as an accommodation ship in 1970, but was in such ropey condition by then, the decision to dispose of the vessel was taken. The only Sea Vixens which might have been aboard in 1970 would've been of the sort made by Frog and put together by a matelot interested in model aeroplane building...

(By the by - 892 and 893 rather than 842 and 843??)

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, XV107 said:

Centaur was used - briefly - as an accommodation ship in 1970, but was in such ropey condition by then, the decision to dispose of the vessel was taken. The only Sea Vixens which might have been aboard in 1970 would've been of the sort made by Frog and put together by a matelot interested in model aeroplane building...

(By the by - 892 and 893 rather than 842 and 843??)

Yes 892 and 893, don't know where i got 842 and 843 from ! 

• Like 1