1/48 - de Havilland DH.110 Sea Vixen FAW.2 by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

Well it’s nice to see Trumpyboss continuing with their apparent love affair with the FAA. It’s also comforting to see that they they are maintaining their reputation for making bizarre errors, thereby maintaining our expectations. 

But sarcasm aside, it will be interesting to see one of these being built. I have the Airfix kit, which pleased me immensely. There are comments that the detail in the Trumpeter kit is better, though this seems mainly to be in the inclusion of rivet divots alongside the panel lines. The intakes may be a little more accurate, as I remember doing remedial work on the Airfix kit. Another thing I remember from the Airfix kit is the fairing at either end of the tailplane. Airfix include it as part on the tailplane, which is moveable. Trumpeter have moulded the fairings into the fins, so the tailplane will have to be fixed in one position. 

It's not my scale, so I won't be buying it, but as far as I'm concerned, the more Sea Vixens the merrier, whatever the scale. If the kit is a success, then maybe someone will come out with an accurate kit in God's True Scale (1/72nd scale to you 1/48th scale heathens, well Okay, actually you're 1/1 scale, but you like 1/48th scale).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Learstang said:

It's not my scale, so I won't be buying it, but as far as I'm concerned, the more Sea Vixens the merrier, whatever the scale. If the kit is a success, then maybe someone will come out with an accurate kit in God's True Scale (1/72nd scale to you 1/48th scale heathens, well Okay, actually you're 1/1 scale, but you like 1/48th scale).

Regards,

Jason

Since I've lost any hope of Airfix ever scaling down their superb kit, I hope that Trumpeter will at some point. It's something they have done with several of their subjects so if this kit is decent enough there may be hope. In the meantime I've found a HiPlanes kit at a local shop for a decent price..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Phantom726 said:

Available on German eBay with a Buy It Now price of EUR 44 (approx £39) plus shipping.

Now, THAT is much more reasonable - especially as the only Airfix ones on ebay for Buy It Now are £60+

Allan

• 1 month later...

The Flory review was very positive.

Detail in the wells and airbrake appeared a lot better than the airfix kit and the exterior seems nicely detailed.

The negative would have to be the lack of a wing-fold option.

I note it is still a pre-order at hobby-easy.

Edited by hairystick
Spellink...
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 10:42 PM, Giorgio N said:

Since I've lost any hope of Airfix ever scaling down their superb kit, I hope that Trumpeter will at some point. It's something they have done with several of their subjects so if this kit is decent enough there may be hope. In the meantime I've found a HiPlanes kit at a local shop for a decent price..

Avoid the high planes kit ...the overwing fuel tanks are way to fat (especially when viewed from above ) its reputation as been accurate is due to  it been based on a set of highly inaccurate plans . The only 72nd kit to get the boom shapes right is the cyber hobby kit ! ( which is IMHO the best starting point in 72nd - in saying that it has a slew of errors as well...but it's possibly the easiest starting point ) Even Airfix pointed out how wrong all the current plans and three views are when developing their 48th kit.

• Like 1

I watched the Flory review and another on Youtube which compared the sprues individually. Lots of differences in molding approach, and details. The thing that struck me immediately was the difference in the size of some of the decals, with the Trumpy markings being clearly a great deal larger than the comparable Airfix markings. I am sure others will find a great deal more differences, both positive and negative. With three Airfix Sea Vixens in the stash, I think I will wait for the initial price to drop...

7 hours ago, hairystick said:

The Flory review was very positive.

Detail in the wells and airbrake appeared a lot better than the airfix kit and the exterior seems nicely detailed.

The negative would have to be the lack of a wing-fold option.

I note it is still a pre-order at hobby-easy.

I can certainly live without the wing fold. With the unavailability of and, silly prices being asked for the Airfix kit, that is no longer an option as far as I'm concerned. I missed out on a Trumpeter kit at 46 Euros on ebay (Germany). Much more sensible price. High UK price for this kit is the only thing getting in my way right now. Hopefully it will drop over time

Allan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Neil Lambess said:

Avoid the high planes kit ...the overwing fuel tanks are way to fat (especially when viewed from above ) its reputation as been accurate is due to  it been based on a set of highly inaccurate plans .

I have an awful lot of Vixen material and the Highplanes kit is by far the most accurate 72nd offering.  The FAW.2 booms are too wide, I think a consequence of them having to fit over the FAW.1 boom parts.  However they can be thinned down.

The CyberHobby kit gets the fuselage noticeably wrong, particularly the fwd area.  It is easier to deal with the HP booms issue, or build it as an FAW.1.

The only advantages of the Cyberhobby/Dragon kit is the very nice detail and fit, Highplanes being a true short run production.

@hairystick the Trumpeter Sea Vixen does have a lot more surface detail over the Airfix one, but much of it is either fictional or over emphasized.

It would be nice if this Trumpy one could be reduced to 72nd, there are issues with it, but look like they can be remedied.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

To be fair, both reviews in Homebee's post do mention the white serials and the need to obtain correct, black serials.  Trumpy's error is to have specified silver undersides, although why they imagine anyone would put white serials on silver is anyone's guess!  I am sure that this kit will not be replacing the Airfix kit in my stash.

8 minutes ago, 593jones said:

To be fair, both reviews in Homebee's post do mention the white serials and the need to obtain correct, black serials.  Trumpy's error is to have specified silver undersides, although why they imagine anyone would put white serials on silver is anyone's guess!  I am sure that this kit will not be replacing the Airfix kit in my stash.

I would bet that they specified white serials for the decals, or they were incorrectly printed in white, then realized that white serials over white undersides would not work too well so they improvised the silver underside colour to make the serials visible.

5 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I would bet that they specified white serials for the decals, or they were incorrectly printed in white, then realized that white serials over white undersides would not work too well so they improvised the silver underside colour to make the serials visible.

You know, that sounds quite plausible.  I'll bet there were some interesting meeting held when the error was discovered!

9 hours ago, 593jones said:

I'll bet there were some interesting meeting held when the error was discovered!

Probably very short.

- we messed up the colors

- it doesn't matter anymore... now what's the status of the Farley Fruitbat  project ?

Edited by Laurent

Forgive me if this has been covered before and I've missed it, and for the slightly tangential link - but looking at the link and instructions (only just got round to it as I bagged several Airfix Sea Vixens and have no interest in buying a Trumpy one), it appears that you can give the aircraft a weapons load of two Firestreak and two Red Top: did the Sea Vixen ever carry this mixed load? I've wracked my brains and have no recollection of ever seeing a photo of a Sea Vixen in that configuration and was wondering if there was any evidence to suggest that the load was carried (or, indeed, cleared)?

• 4 weeks later...

In box review in your favourite forum: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235038334-dehavilland-sea-vixen-faw2-148/

Conclusion

The Sea Vixen is a very distinctive and surprisingly large aircraft which deserves to be well kitted. Unfortunately, no matter how beautifully moulded the parts are, or how fine the detail if it doesn’t look right then let alone be accurate it does leave the modeller a little flat. I’m sure it will still sell well, and will look the part in a collection viewed from about three feet, but, in my opinion it just doesn’t look right.  I’m sure the Sea Vixen experts will have their own opinion, I have only laid out what I think is wrong with the kit.

V.P.

• 2 years later...

New Print Scale decals set - ref. 48-188 - de Havilland Sea Vixen FAW.2

1. Sea Vixen FAW. 2  XN 658:750 operated by 890 Squadron from Yeovilton in September 1969.
2. Sea Vixen FAW. 2  XP 921:498-E of 899 Squadron in May 1964.
3. Sea Vixen FAW. 2  XN 650:456-C of 893 Squadron in 1970.
4. Sea Vixen FAW. 2 XN 694:305-VL used by “Simons Sircus” display team from 892 Squadron in 1968.
5. Sea Vixen FAW.2 , 'XJ474.The first pre-production aircraft used by A&AEE in 1962.

Source: http://www.printscale.org/product_1000.html

4818802.jpg 4818803.jpg

4818804.jpg 4818805.jpg

V.P.

12 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

For the benefit of the uninitiated, would it be possible to post something a little more helpful  than "these decals are a joke surely"?

I don't wish to seem offensive  but, It ranks alongside such other fairly useless and vague comments like "it just does not look right".

Specifics please so that we may all be enlightened.

John

Have an image search, the main point I can see is that the letters and numbers look too chunky and wrong font. Print scale are noted for being erm, not very good.

• Like 2