1/48 - de Havilland DH.110 Sea Vixen FAW.2 by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

Interesting.

XX654 is a Bulldog.

I've never seen a Sea Vixen FAW1 with the booms protruding over the leading edge.

The color call looks, with my failing eyesight and the picture quality, well, weird.

Looks like they did their homework...

S.

Edited by Sebastien

Just now, Homebee said:

FAW.2 boxing.

V.P.

My eyesight is falling but not that much.

But I'll ask for your help anyway. What's written in the painting and marking guide, just right of the white C in a black square and left of Unit: 893 NAS?

• Like 1

Source: http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/seavixen/gallery.php

XN654... FAW.1 in March 1963... Indeed.

Underwing serial decals printed in white... Should be black, isn't it.

Taken on the same day, this shot on Centaur's deck depicts 893 NAS FAW.1 XN654 '464', probably undergoing maintenance in the cockpit area as the canopy had been removed. Note that an arrester-wire was in position even though the ship was in harbour at the time - just another hazard for the inattentive matelot!

3ac062ba8a5f5d15fdfe57f7a51f95d2.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

The paint and markings sheet  to be calling for silver undersides instead of white. Well, it would be difficult to see white codes on a white surface. Then the mix up between XN654 and XX654. 

I have a bad feeling about this.

1 minute ago, VMA131Marine said:

The paint and markings sheet  to be calling for silver undersides instead of white. Well, it would be difficult to see white codes on a white surface.

I told you my eyesight wasn't what it once was.

This is a good one, though!

Cheers,

S.

44 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

The paint and markings sheet  to be calling for silver undersides instead of white. Well, it would be difficult to see white codes on a white surface. Then the mix up between XN654 and XX654. 

I have a bad feeling about this.

Silver undersides on a FAA aircraft of that period??  White serials on silver undersides on any British military aircraft of that (or any) period???  Callsign Whisky Tango Foxtrot I think. :hmmm:

• Like 1

Jeepers. It can't be that difficult to research an aircraft like this, even in China.  Just a quick Google would have sorted all the issues.  White serials over silver!?  An FAW.2 in FAW.1 markings!? And getting one of the serials wrong.  Doesn't auger well for the accuracy of the parts.  Colour schemes apart with the Airfix kit in this scale I think Trumpeter have missed an opportunity here by not releasing it in 1/72.  We really need a good and accurate kit of the type in that scale.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wezra said:

Aren't those decal images usually distorted colour wise to stop copying? Is there any actual photos of the sheet in reality?

Even if the colour was altered on the decal sheet, look at the instructions: white serial numbers on a silver background.

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Jeepers. It can't be that difficult to research an aircraft like this, even in China.  Just a quick Google would have sorted all the issues.  

Yes, as in PRC the search engines - like Google - doesn't work exactly as here. Most of the Internet homepages are unaccesible. Censorship.

V.P.

I have missed my chance to buy Airfix Sea Vixen when I had a chance,

so I have high hopes for this kit!

Airfix is not cheap either this days, if you can find one...

I don't care much but decals, since I have Model Alliance aftermarket sheet.

I don't care about cockpit, wheels, wheel bay details, since all this already has aftermarket replacements offered  in the market for Airfix kit.

All I care is overall shape accuracy and panel lines sharpness.

Panels and details look very good, much better than Airfix,

don't know about accuracy, nose and canopy does look rather odd for my eye, but that doesen't mean anything since I'm not an Sea Vixen expert.

If this kit turn out accurate shape wise, I will buy it for sure...

Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Yes, as in PRC the search engines - like Google - doesn't work exactly as here. Most of the Internet homepages are unaccesible. Censorship.

V.P.

True enough although I was being facetious really.  The point being if they even undertake designing a new kit they must have reasonable sources of information.  After all, they seem to have got the squadron markings fairly accurate so how come such a glaring error with the underside and serials?

3 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I think Trumpeter have missed an opportunity here by not releasing it in 1/72.  We really need a good and accurate kit of the type in that scale.

You say that, but assuming the plastic is as hammed-up as the decal sheet (I fully realise it might not be, but then there's past form!)

then I'd rather they stick to 48th, and not put some more accuracy-minded company off doing a decent, accurate model in 1:72.

4 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Jeepers. It can't be that difficult to research an aircraft like this, even in China .......

Setting aside Chinese internet controls (although outsourcing basic background research to more liberal locations would not seem beyond the global familial reach as one of the basic strengths of the Chinese business world) it is now around seven years since the Airfix Sea Vixen kit was released and one would think that any business considering a project like this might have researched the opposition by checking perhaps more easily available print reviews to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the existing product as well as having access to the reference articles that new Airfix kits of such subjects invariably spawn.     Then again perhaps I am overthinking the processes and potential for financial risk involved.  

Trumpeter is one firm whose kits I rarely buy unless there is no other available alternative usually because they are overpriced compared to other ranges yet despite this often contain quite basic omissions or flaws and I have often wondered if these apparent lapses are because the company knows the products will sell anyway either because they are of subjects in scales that others manufacturers will not touch or are of kits that are unlikely to be  re-released in the near future.      On the other hand perhaps it is arrogance to think that we Western modelers with our easy access to research that identifies any shortcomings (and £62.99 to buy the kits) are the key market.

Whatever happened to 'don't judge anything until you have the actual kit in your hands?'  :whistle:

Stupid decal flubs aside, I'm finding it more interesting that the kit can't be built with an open canopy.  At all.  That's an odd design decision.  The parts layout is also pretty disheartening - that's a lot of common parts with the -2 booms, so it seems a lot less likely they'll follow up with a -1.  <_<

• Like 1

Even more bizarre, the small text for marking option C lists the serial number XN654 as even while the aircraft image shows XX654. So someone at Trumpeter knew what the right serial number is. Did the design and print the decal sheet first and then realized the error but couldn't be bothered to fix it. If the decal sheet is the only problem then I'm not that bothered as Trumpeter's decals typically have colour and font accuracy issues as well as completely fictitious stencil markings. The deciding factor for me on buying this kit will be outline and shape accuracy and then price. 

I can't wait to see what they do with the Firefly Mk.I.  One constant remains that Trumpeter seems immune to even constructive criticism.

5 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

You say that, but assuming the plastic is as hammed-up as the decal sheet (I fully realise it might not be, but then there's past form!)

then I'd rather they stick to 48th, and not put some more accuracy-minded company off doing a decent, accurate model in 1:72.

Absolutely.    Just don't understand why Trumpeter didn't just buy the Crowood or Warpaint titles before embarking on their kit design!  Having said that not all Trumpeter's 1/72 kits are bad.  The Wyvern and Gannet look pretty nice in the box (not built them yet) and the Sea Hawk is a nice kit.   The Cyberhobby kit is, apparently, well off and pretty darned expensive to boot.  The Special Hobby/Xtrakit has some shape errors and is a bit of a tricky build (and no payload - annoyingly).   What I really want is for Airfix to scale down their Vixen.  

• Like 1