1:35 Revell Zil-131

Lieuwe

I recently got back in to modeling by building the Zvezda BMP-1, I didnt really take many pictures of the building progress. My next project will be the Revel release of the Zil-131 truck as pictured below. I have a Trumpeter D30 howitser on the way for it to tow. My goal for this model is to learn how to do multi color paintscheme's better, do some weathering that is more dusty then muddy and generally get more practice in basic skills.

Zil-131_01.jpg

ZIL-131_03.jpg

The box, instructions and the decals are the standard Revell style. I'd have prefered a sturdier box to keep the model parts in but this is not a big problem. The instructions are clear enough, the decals however appear to be the satin finished Revell ones. When I built models when I was younger I remember not being very fond of these from Revell due to their tendency to silver. Luckily there aren't a whole lot of them.

Zil-131_04.jpg

The kit is a rerelease by Revell of a ICM kit, clearly visible on the sprues as they are marked ICM. The quality of the parts looks to be great, very little flash and nice sharp details.

Zil-131_05.jpg

Zil-131_06.jpg

Zil-131_08.jpg

I think most of these details will look great after paint and a wash. I am thinking about doing it in a green and tan comeflage paintscheme used by the soviets during the war in Afghanistan.

Zil-131_09.jpg

The tyres look ok, I have seen better in models but I have seen worse. The complete lack of manufacturers logo's look odd but perhaps that is the soviet way.

ZIL-131_11.jpg

First step in construction, building all the stuff that goes on the chassis. There are a few ejection marks in places that might be visible so I am filling them with Mr. Surfacer. I hope to get the chassis done in the next week, I plan on assembling all the parts that need to be painted black with the rest of the chassis and then paint those. The engine needs to be a aluminium color so I am approaching that as a seperate subassembly. I will be doing the same with the bed and the cab. First impressions of the kit are really good, fit is nice and details are sharp. Some parts could have done with locator pins but that is a minor concern. Depending on the rest of the build I might do more ICM soft skin vehicles, especially if this is their normal level of quality.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

This should be an interesting build that I will follow. Do you know if there are any resin replacement wheels available?

John.

Haven't really look into that, my plan is to build this out of the box as much as possible.

57 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

This should be an interesting build that I will follow. Do you know if there are any resin replacement wheels available?

John.

Def Model, Armory, Miniarm, KompektZip and Custom Factory to name a few.

HTH
Andy

• Like 1

I continued with the contruction of the chasis, most parts fit together well and two main beams have locating slots for the cross members.

Zil-131_12.jpg

Various parts however do have some large seams and ejector pin markings that needed attention so they to have had some Mr Surfacer applied.

Zil-131_13.jpg

One thing I will need to fix is the front driveshaft that snapped in half after glueing. Trying to think of a way to fix this that will still look good but also be strong enough.

Zil-131_14.jpg

On a positive note my D30 that I want to have the Zil tow has arrived, oddly enough it appears to be cast in almost similarily colored plastic.

Zil-131_15.jpg

• Like 1

I managed to get the Zil's main subassemblies together and primed, the chassis and the wheels were brought together and coated in Mr Hobby black surfacer 1500. It was the first time I used this primer and I loved it! Definately on par with Tamiya primer. I weathered the chassis and wheels using MiG's light dirt wash. My goal was to show a vehicle that has been driving on dusty tracks and roads, not one that has been driving off-road.

Zil-131_16.jpg

I intend to finish the vehicle in the kit-supplied markings for a Soviet Afghanistan vehicle with a nice two tone camo. My first experience with the decals though has made a dent in my confidence though, the Afghanistan vehicle has a large decal on the rear of the truckbed. The decals on the dash were horrible, little adhesive power and massive silvering even when applied to quite a glossy surface. 

Zil-131_17.jpg

I've hit them with decal softener and then gave them another gloss coat hoping they will stay stuck. Applying the larger decals to the irregular surface of the wooden truckbed lid seems like a disaster waiting to happen though. Wondering if there are aftermarket decals for these kinds of vehicles?

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Lieuwe.

Nice work so far.

I like this dusty look of your ZiL.

I have also ZiL-131 (from ICM) on my workbench.

If I may, I have some observations (if you want an accurate model):

1. ZiL-131 had (still have) 3 air reservoires. The kit (Revell, ICM) provide only 2. The third is located under/behind the step ladder of the cabin on the right side (see ZiL-131 from Bronco Models CB35193);

2. The fuel tank holder (both sides) doesn't have a flat bottom. There are only two support beams at the both ends of the holder (but I think is too late for this modifications).

3. 5 of 6 tires are mounted opposite. The tip of "V" mark should face forward (at all type of tires and vehicles).

I hope the observations are useful to you.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Raccoon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Raccoon said:

Hello Lieuwe.

Nice work so far.

I like this dusty look of your ZiL.

I have also ZiL-131 (from ICM) on my workbench.

If I may, I have some observations (if you want an accurate model):

1. ZiL-131 had (still have) 3 air reservoires. The kit (Revell, ICM) provide only 2. The third is located under/behind the step ladder of the cabin on the right side (see ZiL-131 from Bronco Models CB35193);

2. The fuel tank holder (both sides) doesn't have a flat bottom. There are only two support beams at the both ends of the holder (but I think is too late for this modifications).

3. 5 of 6 tires are mounted opposite. The tip of "V" mark should face forward (at all type of tires and vehicles).

I hope the observations are useful to you.

Keep up the good work!

Hello Raccoon,

Thanks for the heads up, the tires on by friction only so should be easy to turn round. I have little faith in my skills to fix the fuel tankholders, I'd probably destroy them in the process. I am very much a beginning modeler. I will look at the air reservoires and see if I cant make something myself, sounds like a manageable scratchbuild project! :)