Me 262 1/72 by Revell

The known Revell kit of the 262 has it's oddities. E. g. the fact it has a detailed cockpit tub and blanked of wheel wells. I tried to open these up a bit to show off these parts of the plane. I stuck with the rather shabby canopy though which is a known drawback of this kit and doesn't do the rest justice. Here you go.

dsc04237.jpg

dsc04239.jpg

dsc04241.jpg

dsc04242.jpg

• Like 12

Thanks. That's surprising. Revell is normally really good a sending replacements. And the 262 is still in their program AFAIK. But I guess a replacement wouldn't have been better since this canopy just seems to be badly engineered. But I don't know if there is any aftermarket solutions.

• Like 1

Hi Cheezburger,

good looking 262: the cammo is simple but effective, without the hassle of mottling. Clever!

I see what you mean about the canopy... They kind of chose the wrong engineering solution for the canopy of their Fw 190 as well... So it's official: canopies are not their forte.

Great show!!!

JR

• Like 1

You could probably get an aftermarket vac form canopy or maybe one from a junked Hasegawa kit. It's a shame really as their night fighter has a perfect canopy and is equally as good a model kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad said:

You could probably get an aftermarket vac form canopy or maybe one from a junked Hasegawa kit. It's a shame really as their night fighter has a perfect canopy and is equally as good a model kit.

True, I remember the night fighter. I built this once for my younger brother (still finished with brushed enamels). As far as I recall, the canopy was of much better quality.

32 minutes ago, polo1112 said:

I think about the canopy, as if you would paint the lower edge

the same colour as the fuselage, it would look better.

Give it perhaps a try.

You're right that needs touch up. The framing on the canopy is so light and badly sculpted it's almost invisible.

3 hours ago, Cheezburger said:

You're right that needs touch up. The framing on the canopy is so light and badly sculpted it's almost invisible.

I think modellers licence comes into play with this. Enlarging the canopy framing through masking to make it look right and pleasing to the eye.

Nice job.

Curious: what paint did you use for the RLM 81 Braunviolet? I was mulling earlier today how most of them aren't brown enough but this one looks closer to how I've always imagined it to be (could be wrong of course!)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Phantome said:

Curious: what paint did you use for the RLM 81 Braunviolet? I was mulling earlier today how most of them aren't brown enough but this one looks closer to how I've always imagined it to be (could be wrong of course!)

It's simply Olive Drab 043 by Vallejo model Air (which they also advertise as RLM81 on the bottle). It is sprayed on a coat of black Vallejo PU primer.

45 minutes ago, Cheezburger said:

It's simply Olive Drab 043 by Vallejo model Air (which they also advertise as RLM81 on the bottle). It is sprayed on a coat of black Vallejo PU primer.

Thanks, I might try it out. It's a bit of a shame that Vallejo does not spray as finely as Tamiya/Gunze which matters for mottling at 1/72 scale. Worth a shot though

2 hours ago, Phantome said:

Thanks, I might try it out. It's a bit of a shame that Vallejo does not spray as finely as Tamiya/Gunze which matters for mottling at 1/72 scale. Worth a shot though

I have to admit I never tried to spray Gunze or Tamiya, but I am set to use Mr. Color on my current Ju 87 A built. Revell Aqua Color does spray pretty fine though.