RNZAF F-16CK Block 50 - Painted

trickyrich

Well I’ve been neglecting this section for a wee while unfortunately and I think there may be a couple of stalled build threads somewhere in here as well!!!!

Anyway time to sort of make amends, I hadn’t planned this build at all, it sort of happened as an accident. Well an accident caused by a wally who didn’t check his research before buying stuff for a build!!!  :wall:  That and I still blame Beelzebub for creating that which is call F-16 block numbers!!  :devil: Only the work of the devil could make them soooo confusing!

Anyway the upshot of all this is I have a completely spare F-16 that I didn’t know what to do with. So a solution is a nice simple Whif! So why an RNZAF one (hence the “K”), well I didn’t what another boring grey one and I really like the European 1 camouflage of the A-4K’s.

So this is what I have to play with…

DSCF4280_zpst3koqwvn.jpg

DSCF4281_zps7alkqr94.jpg

a Block 52 F-16 I pinched the intake from

DSCF4282_zpshvea0g9f.jpg

and the now left over Block 50 intake! I know why not just build the white one as a 52…….well that would be just too easy…and an admission I’d completely stuffed it up in the first place! :doh:

The colour scheme…well I’ve got a nice set of A-4 decals Gekko Decals on the way (thanks Richard).

Weapons loadout….not sure yet, have heaps from the F-111, F1, and F-16 so will have a think about it.

I’ll sort of be building this in parallel with the other F-16 which is for the F-16 STGB, so will start this one in a couple of week. Should be a nice simple build, and no mod work!! :yahoo:

• Like 4

I do wonder if camouflage will make a return with more lo-tech enemies such as Daesh become prominent. After hearing an interview about the BoB memorial Eurofighter, and how difficult it was to spot when coming in to land, the return of greens, browns and greys in Europe could be on the cards!

• Like 3

Yay, an F-16 in Euro1 camo!! This is something I have often contemplated myself but just never got round to doing. I shall be watching is with great interest.

Edited by Madhatter
  • Like 1

I’ve just received these beauties!!!

DSCF4304_zpstmwbmhkf.jpg

They would have to be some of the most detailed decal packs I’ve ever seen!!

They’re produced by our good friend Richard (Gekko-1) and they are amazing, besides some truly lovely decals, are profile pictures for 20 aircraft all in colour plus 2 sheets full of info on each aircraft, with decal and modelling info as well, all for a mere $20 AUD!!!  It would be a bargain at double the price!

So with the leftovers I feel another project may appear later this year or early next. Something along the lines of a RNZAF F-35K, I mean the US had to almost give them away after they turned out as a total flop! But packed with pylons and a more traditional Nav/Attack system they became a nice simple (??) strike aircraft……especially at the give away price they were being sold at. Especially with MiG-29SMT’s used for top cover!

• Like 2

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:41 PM, charlie_c67 said:

I do wonder if camouflage will make a return with more lo-tech enemies such as Daesh become prominent. After hearing an interview about the BoB memorial Eurofighter, and how difficult it was to spot when coming in to land, the return of greens, browns and greys in Europe could be on the cards!

I sincerely hope so. I have in mind a four tone (green/green/tan/black) splinter type camouflage for my Revell 1/32 Eurofighter Typhoon (two seater). I am also currently working on an AC-130 in RAF service and have I mind a four tone light/medium/dark grey/midnight blue scheme for it.

Allan

• Like 1

Oh, by the way, forgot to add that I will be doing a C-130J and, Airbus A-400  in the afore mentioned  green/green/tan/black finish. Both of which will be adorned in the Saltire of the Air Force of the Scottish Independent Republic!! (as will the Typhoon!):wicked::lol:. Ok. Maybe a tad implausible but, what the hell!! It's only fun. No, (in case anybody asks!) this was not an idea dreamed up after sampling the pleasures of a delightful 28 year old...........................SPEYSIDE MALT last night (or was it this morning?):lol:

Allan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Have you checked out the colours of the Royal Newfoundland Air Force (pre-1949?). Cheers.

:lol: Remind me please!!

Allan

ps - found it. What a great little story!

Edited by Albeback52

4 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

I sincerely hope so. I have in mind a four tone (green/green/tan/black) splinter type camouflage for my Revell 1/32 Eurofighter Typhoon (two seater). I am also currently working on an AC-130 in RAF service and have I mind a four tone light/medium/dark grey/midnight blue scheme for it.

Allan

Well I know for sure that the Royal Marine Air Corps has stuck with camo up to the present day to allow them to ride in at wave top height whilst supporting any beachheads.

Sorry Rich, we've digressed somewhat...:offtopic::lol:

Yeah I kept both my Gekko sheets aswell. Richard really created some beauties with that sheet. looking forward to this one, I'm thinking of a Kiwi AMX sometime this year !!

Ian.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well this update is pretty much what I’ve done on her before I went back to work.

I used this time to go over everything I would need to do on the main build. I built up quite a few of the subassemblies just to see what I was in for…and really there was nothing major to worry about!

I will have a pilot in this build so he (Sqn. Ldr. F. Dagg) was built up and test fitted for his seat…he was quite happy with the process!

DSCF4308_zps4okvkoti.jpg

As strange as it seems everything that was to be painted white was painted Lt. Grey! The reason behind this madness was the Matt White painted on white plastic just doesn’t seem to work! It’s very hard to get an even finish, it’s much easier if it done on another colour, in this case grey!

DSCF4309_zpslfk2lgxa.jpg

So I’ve assembled most of the main basic bits and drilled all the holes where they're meant to go.

DSCF4310_zpsdvfcvyie.jpg

I’ve used the left over bits from the Block 50 to 52 conversion to convert this Block 52 to a Block 50. And for those clever people thinking “why didn’t he just use the Block 52 aircraft to build the Block 52 aircraft”, well……..that would be too easy!!

DSCF4311_zpsmaexnipu.jpg

Today I’ve just done a wee bit to get ready to start the cockpit work/detailing.

This should be the easiest of the two builds, things going to plan she should be done by the middle of the week after next…..if all goes according to plan!

• Like 3

thanks Cookie, I really miss building Whiffs! So it's great to be able to again. Once this one is done I'll start doing some more work on the others as time permits.

Plus I have another project in the wind! Have just bought another He-177A6 plus an Arado 555, so you can guess where that's going, I'll blame Arnold for this project!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Plus I have another project in the wind! Have just bought another He-177A6 plus an Arado 555, so you can guess where that's going, I'll blame Arnold for this project!

:P

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Arniec said:

:P

:fight: Though the good about that project is I'll have all the extra engines and wing bits I need for the "Amerika Bomber"!

Ok some good progress made on this one yesterday.

As mentioned in the other F-16 build I started painting up the cockpits. I decided to do something a wee bit different, for the instrument panels I masked them up before airbrushing them black.

DSCF4326_zpsopds7v29.jpg

This gave me some nice defined edges when the masks were removed, much better than I could do by hand.

DSCF4327_zpscwsjlgi4.jpg

Then the hard work of detailing started, they’ve been glossed up to do the panels lines.

DSCF4333_zpskesm7xgq.jpg

Here are the two together, they’ll get a clear flat coat next before the final bit of detailing. I’m really happy with how they look.

DSCF4336_zpsfyjl1qfv.jpg

The intakes are a right pain to remove the joins, the big mouth for this build is ok, but the other one still needs a bit of work.

DSCF4337_zpsiogvamlj.jpg

The wheel wells have been painted white, the effect over the grey is exactly what I was after….a bit hard to see here, sorry!

DSCF4338_zpsdmnr0wki.jpg

I’ve also started painting the exhaust nozzles, there’s still quite a bit to do here as well.

DSCF4339_zpszpzabpgk.jpg

I also started building up the weapons load for her.

DSCF4341_zpsoyusa646.jpg

She’ll have ARRAM 120’s on the wing tips, AIM-9X Sidewinders next in. From here I’m not sure, I’ve got a couple of AGM65E Mavericks coming as well as Sniper ATP pod. But I’m not sure if I’ll load her up with 1,2, or 3 drop tanks, less than 3 and I’ll have some spare pylons to fill!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Reconcilor said:

RNZAF F16...always wanted to do one of those myself. Can't wait to see it finished!

thanks, it wasn't a planned project, but i'm really enjoying the build. Will have an update shortly, Photobucket has decided to play ball again......well for the moment!

36 minutes ago, Gekko_1 said:

Looking forward to seeing this develop. I've been going to do a Euro 1 Kiwi F-16 for years!

Cheers

Richard.

Thanks, the more I'm getting into it the more I really like the idea! Plus I have plans for the "green" scheme decals, they're going on the new replacement for the secondhand F-16's, the new MiG-29SMT-K! :hmmm:

I haven't forgotten about the update, only just arrived back at work yesterday, will try and get it out today.

• Like 1

Well it’s been a few days since I updated this build…if Photobucket plays the game!

Two days later and it did!

I pretty much finished the cockpit on her, doesn’t look too bad, the canopy will be closed. I just need to finish the HUD/gunsight and may still do a few other bits as well.

DSCF4346_zpsmjuo7a0b.jpg

The main wheel wells actually came out quite well, the photo just doesn’t show it, they were white then a heavy wash applied, mostly removed then a thin light coat of white again. Nice effect but wasted here with the camera!

DSCF4348_zpsukl6dagr.jpg

I still have lots to do here……, plus there was a fairly major alignment issue, visible if you know what to look for!     (I only found it much later when the fuselage was together and I was test fitting the centre sections! The rear main wheel well bulkhead had moved forward when everything was drying! Resulting in the center panel and everything forward of it including air intake assembly would not fitting correctly, Luckily I was able to carefully break the glue join and using clamps glue it back into its correct position.)

Ok so there was one final look see before closing her up.

DSCF4356_zpsug6h51ty.jpg

That process was so trouble free I forgot to take any photos! The fit was near perfect with the only bit to give me a few issues was the front section, the one covered by the 2 side panels. They would line up but kept moving,  I should have spot glued them with CA cement (I often do this to help keep bits in place while the glue dries), as of caused they moved!

I had a wee mishap joining the nose cone together, and actually did it again with the second one. I didn’t realize that there is a strip that runs down the centreline of the radome! I thought it was just some poor moulding so removed it from both radomes….opps! So out with the tape and some Mr Surface 500…

DSCF4357_zpsm9y01ztb.jpg

They actually look much better than the originals, if they had been neat and tidy in the first place I wouldn’t have removed them. There should have been a warning in the instructions, as I bet I’m not the first to do it!

DSCF4358_zpsv8fprqvm.jpg

I closed up the intake assembly as well, I tried to make sure everything fitted nicely so that there would be no issues when it came time to fit the intake mouth.

DSCF4359_zpslq7xbfei.jpg

Ok playtime now, time to see how she’ll look and to plan her weapons loadout. I what her to be set up for precision strike/anti-shipping, so the loadout will reflect this, I have a couple of AGM-65E Mavericks on the way as well as the Snipe targeting pod, so;

DSCF4364_zpsytvt1xgt.jpg

GBU-31 JDAM  & AGM-65E Mavericks

DSCF4367_zpsizq4lypq.jpg

AGM-84D Harpoons  & AGM-65E Mavericks

DSCF4368_zpsbuikvgma.jpg

She looks pretty good, I had thought of fitting a couple of GBU-28 “Bunker Busters” but they were never fitted to F-16’s.

DSCF4369_zpskbo4jpwk.jpg

But I’m now thinking I’ll go with a pair of AGM-142 Popeye 2 (Have Lite) missiles in place of the Mavericks, a pair of drop tanks and the Popeye data pod on the centreline mount. It looks awesome, a smallish aircraft with a couple of huge missiles! These were a slightly smaller and lighter version made for F-16’s. I had a pair of these in with my F-111C, but they are the larger Popeye 1’s so some quick mods were required. I’ll have photo’s of these next time.

• Like 3

Careful Rich, this is the RNZAF you're talking, even if we'd got the F-16s, I can't see our pollies ever letting the flyboys have expensive stuff like that to chuck around the countryside. Aim-9s & Mavericks maybe with some bombs would be about the limit. :unsure:

Steve.

• Like 2