1/72 - Tupolev Tu-128M "Fiddler" & UT "Pelican" by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

The drawings are in the 2/97 issue of AiV - which I have just consulted...

There are two side view drawings of the Tu-128UT - one with raked fin, the other with the straight fin.

They are clearly annotated (in Cyrillic) - Prototype and Series (which means 'Production') respectively.

The reverse of the sheet has multi view drawings of a raked fin Tu-128 - and it is captioned as Tu-128M - IIRC, some early M's had a raked fin.

Anyone have sight of the Trumpeter Tu-128UT fin yet???

Ken

• Like 1

Interesting, according to Yefim Gordon and Dawes/Burdin there were four standard Tu-128s set aside for trials work, all fitted with the original raked fin, one was the uncoded first prototype, another '15 Blue', (not sure how the other two were numbered). These were followed by the ten production UTs fitted with the 'M' style straight fin tips housing the antenna for the Prizma-M R-846 radio. It would appear that '15 Blue' was later modified and fitted with the straight fin, I would guess this also applied to the other test aircraft. The four trials aircraft were also fitted with the characteristic 'towel rail' antenna fitted to the lower starboard forward fuselage, later deleted as per the Tu-128M aircraft upon which the production UTs were based.  As Ken says the first prototype UT was photographed carrying four R-4Ts though this wasn't normal for other UTs.

It'll be interesting to see what Trumpeter have done with the UT as '49 Blue' definitely had the straight style of fin. Maybe I'll need to have my spare Amodel Pelican on standby! 

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:20 AM, Flankerman said:

It will be a shame if the UT kit doesn't include the square tipped fin - as that is the configuration of operational Tu-128UT's..

Only the prototype UT had the raked fin - as it was converted from a production Tu-128 fighter.

Note also that most pics of Pelicans show them without missile armament (as they lacked radar) - but with the pylons.

There is a photo in Yefim Gordon's Red Star 'Soviet Heavy Interceptors' showing the prototype Pelican - with raked fin plus R-4T IR missiles.

I hope it isn't the case that you can only build the prototype Tu-128UT with what Trumpeter provide.... :crying:

Ken

PS - Any pics of the sprues to confirm or refute the square-tipped fin inclusion???

Hi Ken,

Scroll down on this link and you can see the sprue shots. Unfortunately they only have the raked tail. Either graft the Amodel tail or some scratch building or better yet an aftermarket tail made by Quickboost, Aires, Armoury, etc., to make a Tu-128M or production version of the Tu-128UT. 

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2019/05/colours-box-art-and-finally-sprues-for.html

Cheers, Harold

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:49 AM, Flankerman said:

The drawings are in the 2/97 issue of AiV - which I have just consulted...

There are two side view drawings of the Tu-128UT - one with raked fin, the other with the straight fin.

They are clearly annotated (in Cyrillic) - Prototype and Series (which means 'Production') respectively.

The reverse of the sheet has multi view drawings of a raked fin Tu-128 - and it is captioned as Tu-128M - IIRC, some early M's had a raked fin.

Anyone have sight of the Trumpeter Tu-128UT fin yet???

Ken

Hi Ken,

Would you happen to know the bort numbers (and colours) of the early Tu-128M with the raked tail? I could not find any in my references.

Cheers, Harold

Hi All,

A friend of mine sent me a link to the Trumpeter Tu-128UT sprue shots. Unfortunately they only included the raked tail instead of the straight one for the later production version Tu-128UT and denies us (As Flankerman was hoping) of being able to cross kit the two for a later model Tu-128M.

Hopefully an aftermarket company will take up the challenge of developing/supplying a straight tail.

Scroll down the link for sprue shots.

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2019/05/colours-box-art-and-finally-sprues-for.html

Cheers, Harold

• 2 months later...

B.R.

Serge

P.S. Soviet old fashion flying jacket  - "shevretka"  vintage now on pilot's Tu-128 from video (!):

14077590.jpg

14077594.jpg

14077598.jpg

😍😍😍

Resource photo:

https://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/114/1721577-3.html

Edited by Aardvark
  • Thanks 3