1/72 - Tupolev Tu-128M "Fiddler" & UT "Pelican" by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Of course they are, I just bought the Amodel one, the devils.

I had the Amodel kit... briefly. I still feel guilty for selling it. I often wonder what happened to the poor man that bought it! :rofl:

• Like 1

Now, now, Paul, you don't know that PC bought it off you (or do you?). At any rate, nice to see this as I think Trumpeter does a good job on their larger Soviet aircraft, at least they have on their Badgers, their Backfires, and their Bears.

Regards,

Jason 

I sold my copy many years ago, but I suppose it could be the same kit being sold on umpteen times. The plastic kit equivalent of John Hartson! :lol:

The Amodel kit can be built into a fine replica. You just need an awful lot of time and the patience of Budda!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul A H said:

I had the Amodel kit... briefly. I still feel guilty for selling it. I often wonder what happened to the poor man that bought it! :rofl:

Still have an Amodel Fiddler in my stash. May be if I start it, it might bring the release date forward? But will I be still be sane by then???

Darren

Well that's good news, along with the blinder just about my favourite Soviet type. Hope they do it justice, something along the lines of the Backfire or Su-11 would be good enough. Interesting that they went for the M version, (even though the photo shows the prototype TU-128 with cut back fin and under fuselage strakes)...certainly should be a lot easier than the old Amodel, but with a bit of work that can scrub up quite nicely, it was fun.....but then again I'm a diehard masochist.....:banghead:

Just upsized the image a bit and added another......the only modification to the model was the addition of the excellent Matterhorn Circle resin exhaust cans which are far better than the vague kit parts.

P1070882.jpg

P1070879.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 13

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

Of course they are, I just bought the Amodel one, the devils.

I was checking out the Amodel effort on eBay just now! For some reason, couldn't quite bring myself to hit the Buy Now button...then found this thread.

Of course, the Trumpeter one will be inaccurate in all possible ways (and a few impossible ways) -blimey; stands to reason dunnit?! :whistle: 

*@Melchie, awesome build there!*

Wonder if Big T will tool up a Pelican as well...

Edited by AngstROM
  • Like 1

It's a big powerful beast, the same length as a B-29 Superfortress, (30 metres). If that helps. For anyone interested the only major difference externally with the upgraded TU-128M is the squared off tip of the fin to house the new Prizma-M radio dielectric fairing and less noticeably the upgraded R-4RM and R-4TM missiles, the rest of the airframe and engines remained essentially the same though internally was a different matter with upgraded avionics and replacement of the earlier RP-S radar  with the more capable RP-4M (smerch-M fire control radar). It'll be interesting to see if Trumpeter do issue a UT version as that had the squared off fin too making the mod easier.

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, sofiane1718 said:

Could someone make a size comparison with a built 1/72 Tu-128 and any other aircraft that is a little more common please :D

Modelling lore has it that the Fiddler was the largest aircraft ever built for the 'interceptor mission'. (Wonder if the F-108 would have been as huge...)

*Edit*: No, it wouldn't, just Googled it: a mere 27.2 metre stripling!

Edited by AngstROM

4 minutes ago, AngstROM said:

Modelling lore has it that the Fiddler was the largest aircraft ever built for the 'interceptor mission'. (Wonder if the F-108 would have been as huge...)

About ten feet / three meters shorter.

• Like 2

The Fiddler had to be so large to have the range to patrol vast sectors of the Soviet Union at the time as it wasn't kitted out for IFR unlike it's replacement the Foxhound. The carriage of four huge R-4 Ash missiles also accounted for it's size. Quite a beast and due to the highly swept wings not the easiest aircraft to fly, like the Blinder it was speed critical  during the landing and take off phases, the flaps being particularly vulnerable to over speed,  good AoA control being crucial.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sofiane1718 said:

Could someone make a size comparison with a built 1/72 Tu-128 and any other aircraft that is a little more common please :D

Amodel Tu-128 alongside MiG-31.......

tu-128_04.jpg

The Amodel Tu-128u 'Pelican' came with a square-tipped fin - so you could cross-kit to make the Tu-128M......

tu-128u-pelican_01.jpg

Both Amodel kits took some wrestling to beat them into submission....

Ken

• Like 13