Nakajima Ki27 'Nate'

Hi folks,

I have received this kit a while ago from my dad, who in turn got it second hand. It's in a postal box but it's complete. It looks really rather nice with lovely fine rivet detail and engraved panels, but I know nothing about Mania Hobby nor Ki27s in general.

20161225_113732_zpsc22nyd7j.jpg

Can anyone fill me in with some details? The kit comes with 2 canopy choices - one with a metal fairing behind the glazings and another that's glazed the full length of the tear drop.

The colour plan says the cockpit was "Navy Blue" inside. I can't comment one way or the other on that but I'm hoping someone (Nick Millman?) can and elucidate further on what shade this might have been as well as how glossy or otherwise it would have looked.

It also calls for "Pale green gray" for All surfaces. Is this Ame iro or something else?

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

• Like 2

Hey Jamie,

I have the 1/72 Mania kit, it's been re-released by Hasegawa a number of times. Not sure about the 1/48 version but I believe the same applies and that the Hase kit is the same moulding - it's obviously considered a reasonable replica.

edit: review of one of the Hasegawa reboxes here:

Nick has at least a couple of entries for the Ki-27 on his Aviation of Japan blog :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Stew Dapple is absolutely correct, this is the very same kit sold in more recent years under the Hasegawa label.  To the best of my knowledge, it is still the only 1/48 Ki-27 in town.

Mania was a small company that produced kits in the 70's and 80's that were far ahead of their time, IMHO, in terms of accuracy, surface detail, and interior detail.  All were of WW2 Japanese subjects, and most were in 1/72; IIRC the Nate was their last release, and their only 1/48 kit.  The 1/72 Ki-27 was their first release, initially in a plain corrugated cardboard box!  The current Hasegawa 1/72 Ki-51 Sonia, Ki-15 Babs, Ki-48 Lily, and B5N Kate also originated with Mania.

Mr. Dapple (!) is also correct that you can't do much better than Nick Millman's "Aviation of Japan" blog to learn more about WW2 Japanese aircraft in general, and the Ki-27 in particular.  And--lest we forget that everything in the world is not on the interwebs quite yet!--he also literally "wrote the book" on the Nate: the Osprey "Aces" title on the Ki-27 was penned by him, and illustrated by talented artist Ronnie Oolsthorn.  The well-researched and extremely detailed profiles in this book are the best guide to Nate colors you will find.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDriskill said:

Stew Dapple is absolutely correct, this is the very same kit sold in more recent years under the Hasegawa label.  To the best of my knowledge, it is still the only 1/48 Ki-27 in town.

Mania was a small company that produced kits in the 70's and 80's that were far ahead of their time, IMHO, in terms of accuracy, surface detail, and interior detail.  All were of WW2 Japanese subjects, and most were in 1/72; IIRC the Nate was their last release, and their only 1/48 kit.  The 1/72 Ki-27 was their first release, initially in a plain corrugated cardboard box!  The current Hasegawa 1/72 Ki-51 Sonia, Ki-15 Babs, Ki-48 Lily, and B5N Kate also originated with Mania.

Mr. Dapple (!) is also correct that you can't do much better than Nick Millman's "Aviation of Japan" blog to learn more about WW2 Japanese aircraft in general, and the Ki-27 in particular.  And--lest we forget that everything in the world is not on the interwebs quite yet!--he also literally "wrote the book" on the Nate: the Osprey "Aces" title on the Ki-27 was penned by him, and illustrated by talented artist Ronnie Oolsthorn.  The well-researched and extremely detailed profiles in this book are the best guide to Nate colors you will find.

there is a build here of the 1/32nd  Special Hobby kit, which has some  useful information on colours,  including interior,plus comments  from Nick

using Nicks formula for the interior colour produced some startling results, the mix is 50:50 Humbrol 88 Matt deck green and 104 Oxford blue, the resultant colour was quite a surprise.

NATE21.jpg

The SH kit has some interesting marking options, including a tri colour  upper scheme

NATE11.jpg

the "purple" was indigo blue. The original tri-colour camouflage spec for the Ki-27 was "tawny" (khaki), green and indigo blue which sometimes appears in profiles as a dark blueish-green.

Mania actually did several 1/48th kits, Ki-27. A6M5, N1K2-J,  F4U-4, 

http://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48a.htm  for details of the Japanese kits.

Though only the Ki-27 has engraved panel  lines AFAIK.

there are some aftermarket sets, True Details did a cockpit,  Falcon canopies and Eduard set, a quick looks  at Hannants

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=955&keyword_search=ki-27&setPerPage=25&currency_id=

HTH

T

• Like 1

Well chaps, you were absolutely correct, this is a delightful kit. I haven't done anything clever at all but between my more in-depth projects I decided to just build this OOB. I added lap belts but that's all. I had an email from Nick with some information about the blue interior and references. Given how dark it is I decided it wasn't too critical and used RAF Blue Grey sprayed in several very thinned coats over an Alclad base to give it some depth and character.

It has gone together very nicely indeed. I intend to just paint it and put it on the shelf as a "mojo maintainer".

I'm very impressed with this kit, especially given its age. And it was free to me. Free is always good.

20161230_192551_zpsnhgd14pg.jpg

• Like 3