MFH - 1:20 Eagle T1G 1968

PC2012

Hello Everybody and Happy New Year again to all !!

Been working as much as time allows on the back of the car. 

Looking at all the reference pictures of the car in 67 and 68, the back of the car is very complex. However different wirings and configurations of pumps and oil tank coolers etc. changed in almost each race version of the car. So it is a feast for those who want to superdetail.

This is not the intention in this build. However, Paul was a neat and very meticulous builder and so the task needs extra attention.

Here are the principal periphery parts being finalised before assembly.

Most are already weathered with artist oils of high quality and very fine pigment mixed with lighter fluid.

these are the main oil filters:

20190114_002751

20190114_003149

here is the wiring for the disc brakes. I apologize for the quality of the pictures, when mounted i will take proper pictures using a tripod and white light.

20190117_212339

20190117_212317

20190117_211851

20190117_21182520190113_221905

20190117_212212

20190117_212045

This below is how the car looks now before assembling the parts above, which i intend to start this week end. 

you can see i added the pipes to the brake calipers and the pins connected to the adjustable antiroll bar.

The little oil tank connected to the gear box appears in different colours in many versions of the car: grey, black, dark grey, metallic etc.

Here it is in the metallic version.  

20190117_212640

I promise to take better photos tomorrow !!

here below is my attempt at slightly improving the throttle connectors and add the cables between the front of the car to the back and to the fuel injection metering unit, on which i have added a few details you will see this week end.

The work is tiny and this is the dawning of a possibly acceptable result after many many failed attempts, it is still work in progress. If i am not able to scratch a neat piece i will revert to the MFH version. 

20190117_215225

That's it ! Thank you very much for watching. I expect to be able to finalise 80 % of the back's assembly this week end and post thereafter.

Sam

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, sharknose156 said:

That's it ! Thank you very much for watching. I expect to be able to finalize 80 % of the back's assembly this week end and post thereafter. Sam

This is exciting! I have no doubt that this will rank with the other really fine MFH builds shown on the forum now.

The difficulties involved which you have solved are evident by the really fine-point tweezers shown holding tiny, perfect parts. Beautifully finished by you. This is now entering the realm of watchmaking !

A tribute to your skills is that you are completing what Paul started without modification or personalization - just tedious and meticulous preparation and assembly.

I owe you a great debt for such noble work my friend.

And any admirer of Paul's work will be greatly pleased.

Thank you.

C

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, sharknose156 said:

Dear Codger without your contribution and close communications, with Ron of course, this would not be possible. Thank YOU.

Sam...despite your words of praise for Chas and I.....the praise must all got to you....stunning work that any here would be proud to emulate....bravo my friend.

Respect

Ron

• Thanks 1

To the whole of the outstanding Eagle T1G team

There are times when there is a confluence of modelling, engineering and art and some of the latest work for me definitely inhabits that exaulted territory. It is a fabulous effort and great example (and we need these at this time) of the best of humankind.

Wonderful work by everyone.

Best wishes

Quentin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just started following this project and I must take my hat off to you guys for taking on the completion of this to honour Pauls memory 👏 👏

This really shows the community spirit of the modelling fraternity to carry on where he left off, I can imagine how bitter sweet it must feel following in his footsteps, and have nothing but respect and admiration for you for doing it

Keep up the excellent work

Best regards

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Some thoughts on Paul – and Sam.

As we near the conclusion of this project, several things have occurred to me. Most based on my sadness of missing Paul.

I'd like to think he would be pleased on the completion of this complex and beautiful car. I've no doubt he would have built the crown jewel in his small model collection and achieved great satisfaction from it.

I've come to realize that we were watching Paul advance in a creative sense. Possessing an art and design background, he had an eye for mechanical beauty. He wanted to realize it by model building. He started by climbing out of his comfort zone and tackling the Profil 24 Maserati – a beautiful thing itself. A multi-media, cottage industry, low-volume resin kit is not exactly a 'glue-A-to-B' type affair. He came here and asked questions and showed his work which endeared many of us to his skills and methods. He absorbed every contributor's words with grateful demeanor and marvelous skill.

After completion, he then challenged himself further by selecting the gorgeous Gurney Eagle from MFH, a company now known for museum-quality results from all its models as his next step up. And a quantum leap upward in complexity with new and more varied materials. He began in earnest and quickly established and organized the more advanced methods required for the task. He had big plans for that level of excellence based on his growing arsenal of skills. It was a pleasure to watch and share tips and advice.

But as with all of us, the clock ticks only so much and The Lord determined that Paul was required in a Higher Place than our humble world. To the great sadness of many of us.

And then there is Sam; a man possibly sent by Heaven to complete a task in the memory of a dear comrade. Sam willingly and with great personal sacrifice accepted my plea to complete for Paul's widow and family, this token of our respect for Paul.

A great difficulty for Sam was to start with another modeller's work but not alter in any way by improvement or personal taste, the original artifact. We all have standards to which we work and Sam embraced the standards Paul began. He is that skilled a modeller to be able to do that – successfully. He did much to rehabilitate the state of a partially completed project before he could actually proceed with construction. Missing parts and the delay of shipment from MFH added to his frustration. Tiny parts needing polish or paint were patiently completed despite personal and family illness and the press of his livelihood. He has done all this at his own personal expense for tools and parts, refusing any cost sharing.

Not enough good things can be said about Sam or what he is accomplishing. But I know Mrs Calvert is fully aware of Sam's efforts and will cherish the result of his and Paul's work.

I apologize if I have imposed my thoughts on this group unnecessarily but, having occurred to me, I felt the story as I know it should be presented to any here who call themselves Friends of Paul.

Your support has been a wonderful tribute to both men and you'll get to see another marvelous model take its place among the finest presented here.

C

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I did not know Paul but have followed this build and its tribute to an outstanding modeller/engineer. It was started by Paul and the small team that took it on in order to finish what had been started has been a privilege to watch. This will be a superb memorial to Paul and I would like to pass on my thoughts to Paul's family on their loss.

Roger 

• Thanks 1

Dear all,

Thank you for your very kind, generous and encouraging words.

What we are doing is nothing but a normal reaction to a sad situation and a mark of respect for a lost comrade's wishes, with whom we shared a passion for beautiful racing cars and admired his meticulous skills.

Dear Codger, 

Your words are far too generous in my regard and this is a truly collective team work from 3 persons. I only wish i had more time and a faster pace. 

I also would like to thank you and Ron for the selfish pleasure i derive from working with you both on such a fascinating subject. I am indebted to you for sure.

Lets now look forward to the fast approaching day when the car is completed hopefully as Paul would have wanted, and we can return the car to his home where his very brave Widow said she is reserving a dedicated place in a glass cabinet containing objects that were all dear to Paul.

Best to all

Sam

• Like 2

Chas (Codger) your words are eloquent and heartfelt....and give insight and perspective to a very sad cause.

Whilst we are simply three like minded people...who wished nothing more than to honour a fallen brother....this project has kept the flame of Paul's memory well and truly lit....and brought his work some of the recognition he rightly deserved.

As a bonus....it has brought many on here to understand what this hobby means to us all....and how the loss of a 'brother in arms' can have a sad but positive effect on us all.

Sam....your words and efforts with this project do you much credit....and your skills are there for all to see.

What has not been said...is that your dedication extends beyond the completion....to personal delivery to Paul's widow (Zoe)...and that my friend....IMHO....makes all your efforts so much worthier of praise.

From a personal perspective....I regard myself very lucky to have known a true modeller....and to have had the honour of calling him  a friend.

Most of all....I consider myself very lucky to belong to this forum....and have the pleasure of learning from so very many gifted people.

In reality....this build has become a tribute to all of us...in that it has helped us all to share the pleasure this hobby brings to so many like minded souls.

Thank you all.

Kindest regards and respect to all,

Ron

Edited by silver911
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, silver911 said:

Whilst we are simply three like minded people...who wished nothing more than honour a fallen brother....this project has kept the flame of Paul's memory well and truly lit....and brought his work some of the recognition he rightly deserved.

As a bonus....it has brought many on here to understand what this hobby means to us all....and how the loss of a 'brother in arms' can have a sad but positive effect on us all.

You've said perfectly what I struggled to convey.

Thanks Mate

C

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Dear friends of Paul...

I am sad to report that once again we have been at the mercy of  an aftermarket parts supplier with a long delay of aftermarket parts. Thus this large gap in updates here.

Sam has struggled to get results from orders of needed parts to very small avail. He is greatly frustrated as are Ron and myself.

We are most upset that, because of these fails, we have been unable to deliver the memento of Paul's last work to his dear widow and family. They have been most understanding but this was not envisioned when we started with best intentions.

Be assured that the project will be complete and delivered. And results will be seen here.

C

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone, 

Happy to say that the missing parts have finally arrived.

Sincere kudoos to Robert / RB Motion who was absolutely perfect and professional throughout and had dispatched the parts promptly when they were ordered and cooperated fully during the delays.  The delays were probably caused by the snow storms on the US east coast a good month back and created back logs at US Post. Then, as if this was not enough after finally clearing and reaching Zurich, the parcel somehow returned to the USA for a few weeks... All the while it was assumed to be delayed at the Swiss customs etc. then it was sent back to Switzerland and cleared by Swiss customs within a day. The parcel was never opened throughout, but was transhipped quite a few extra times... someone even told me it is Trump's fault ...

The guy makes many mistakes, but this many !? 

Anyways, here below is the 'shipment' with all the tiny parts. Honestly, I prefer NOT to empty the bags just for the picture... 

20190306_193408

The parts are so so small, that at first glance, i thought i had made a mistake in the order and scale calculation  ...😨

here is a first rendition of the mounted banjos, pipe (it is really hollow) and cable to be used for the throttle & carb cable, this are 8 parts... my poor eyes complained for the measuring, cutting, filing, gluing and doing and re-doing... the 0.6 hex nut needs to be replaced with a smaller one.

20190306_193049

Here you can see the car as it was while waiting all this time,  with some sub-assemblies which could be mounted then and a few of the cables at the ready,

but waiting on US Post.

At the time of this picture, i had run out of carbon fibre to further polish the oil filters caps... but will catch on as i just received a new supply.
but friends, the eyes hurt and burn quickly at this scale, also holding the frail white metal is delicate during the polish... 

20190305_101123

some parts here are dry fit still and even some require needle painting, and only some parts are weathered. So please don't judge unfinished work yet before i raise my arms.

This is before the cabling and wiring and installation of the throttle cables. 👇

20190305_100604

While waiting on Trump, i tried to reproduce the beautiful padded leather inside the cockpit with oils and acrylics

20190215_121230

so now work will finally resume, but please don't expect a quick completion,

the delays have affected my original schedule and my Q2 professional and personal schedules are mad,

so i will work at as fast as reasonably possible.

Please note that dear Zoe, Paul's widow is perfectly happy with this, and that is really what matters i believe.

See you soon here and thank you for watching this space.

Sam

• Like 8

To the Eagle T1G build team and supporters

Great to read the latest instalment. It is looking a fabulous model and worthy of all the hard work (and frustrations). A great credit to everyone and I hope your efforts will be recognised by a wider audience of the power of collective humankind and consideration.

Best wishes and thoughts.

Quentin (Leicester UK)

PS I have always found Robert and the RB Motion parts to be exceptional as well.

• Thanks 2

It's great to see how incredibly  good this looks even at this un-completed stage. Your assembly work has been immaculate and perfect compliment to what Paul has done. MFH kits prove they are another level and you proved you are certainly up to the challenge they present.

Bravo Sam - I'm certain Paul is smiling, hopefully with a glass of wine, and appreciating your hard work. :worthy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Sam....this is an unreserved masterclass in building a MFH kit of this scale....and a superb effort in the name of our friend Paul.

Congratulations on weathering the storm of delays and problems....all the while maintaining your composure....and never deviating from the chosen path.

Stunning effort my friend.

Warmest regards

Ron

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

cool!

Great progress!

Rob’s parts are just awesome and bring a realistic look that can’t be obtained with stock parts.

I’d myself add adjustment nuts on each side of the bar...

Can’t wait to see more.

Pascal:pilot:

• Thanks 1

I'm very thankfull that this wonderful build continues its journey......

keep the faith, Sam, you have my utmost respect, pal. :worthy: You're doing a fantastic job, sir.

20 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

the eyes hurt and burn quickly at this scale, also holding the frail white metal is delicate during the polish... 

Try using pin-vices (of varying sizes, of course) for securing  small pieces to work on them.. Even the tiniest of pieces  can be held securely and worked upon with relative ease.

• Thanks 2

Dear Fiends, thanks a million or your encouragements ! :worthy::cat:   they are very important to me and i am very grateful.

Dear Harvey and Pascal, well noted thank you very much, will absolutely do. 

Best to all

Sam

• Like 2