MFH - 1:20 Eagle T1G 1968

PC2012

14 hours ago, nikkita katana said:

That is some superb work for a sad yet very worthwhile cause.

I feel I should put a hat on just so I can take it off for you chaps. :) 

The compliments from all are surely appreciated. Especially for Sam's labor. But it is important to remember that Paul himself began this build and his skills and vision are evident throughout. He had shown here some excellent models, my favorite being his Maserati 450, a low-production resin kit of some difficulty. He made a stunning job of that, learning advanced skills and painting techniques in the process. Some of my most favorite posts were my back-and-forth discussion of his progress. He had genuine joy at accomplishing a certain technique or concept. Always appreciative and always a gentleman. I miss him greatly.

The build of this Eagle has been unfortunately delayed by a host of significant factors; missing parts, delayed responses from MFH, Sam's rather hectic professional life and and of course the life-events that effect us all. But he has persevered throughout, with generous commitments of his time and resources. It is our goal that the Eagle will be enroute to the family early in the new year. We hope its arrival will bring solace and another strong connection to dear Paul as his beloved wife reconstructs her life without him.

• Like 4

Of all the things that have occurred in 2018, the 1:20 Eagle T1G WIP has reminded me that humankind has a good side and that good side is very good and worth supporting and holding on to.

I am purely a bystander but every post reminds me that whatever the trials of the day that may have befallen me, there is always the strength of humankind that overcomes and provides that important perspective. This work is shining a very bright light on the goodness humankind and should be applauded to the rafters for that.  

I would like offer my best wishes to everyone, either directly involved (Paul's family, Sam & Codger), or support this project (too many to call out but you know who you are) a Merry Christmas and every best wish for 2019.

Regards

Quentin 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, SlowQ said:

I would like offer my best wishes to everyone, either directly involved (Paul's family, Sam & Codger), or support this project (too many to call out but you know who you are) a Merry Christmas and every best wish for 2019.

Regards

Quentin 

Lest we not forget our Ron Clark, Master of Finishes, and his invaluable work, input and support. I have imposed heavily on these two gents and they are totally deserving of your good will.

And I must say your message of appreciation and kindness is most uplifting to me.

Thanks from all of us.  :cheers:

C

20 minutes ago, harveyb258 said:

I'm moved to tears by Mr C's @Codger above words. 

The 3 Musketeers (Chas, Ron and especially Sam) deserve a knighthood for their actions. 

I applaud you, gentlemen!!…:clap2:

Cheers, H

YIKES ! Someone tell HM that 3 plastic hackers are now in consideration for knighthood !

She will not be amused...:nono:

• Haha 2

Hello everybody, i hope you are enjoying a festive mood and spending happy moments with your loved ones, including cats and dogs 🙀

Thank you Roy @Roy vd M., Sabrejet @Sabrejet , Harvey @harveyb258, John @Hugh Jampton, Quentin @SlowQ, Nikkita @nikkita katana for your kind and encouraging words. 

It is not an easy car to build, MFH is a beautiful brand, very very precise and a pleasure when you find all pieces so well casted and the assembly fitting in nicely.

But the Eagle is probably not the easiest car to start with at MFH and i had a difficult time to assemble the back train.

Here are the first pictures, still a long way to finish the back, still some more suspension rods missing, antiroll bar etc. all fun, which i will continue at my own short vacation pace in next days. 

Zoe, Paul's widow, was very kind to confirm that the car is not urgent and can be finished at a slow pace. Uff uff !

The car requires a meticulous approach, this is my first MFH and alas i am not Pascal  @pg265 the KING of MFH !  this is 1/20 scale and my eyes are not young !

i just received the hoses and braided cables, AND the chrome connectors from Hiroboy and can't wait to start on that.

This car is riddled with hoses and cables as you will soon see.

Meanwhile, here are the pictures of the back train progress, i would say this is the most important step, allowing for working next on the back of the car's many peripheries.

from the top2

back

right side

left side

The brakes' calipers are removed on these pictures, because Pascal  :devil:  gave me the idea to add some brake pads made from plastic cards  :suicide:and which may be see on the back wheels.  i will try tomorrow. If it is not easy to see for someone examining the car, i will pass and have a drink !🍾

Thank you again for following and encouraging us, your words mean a lot, specially to me when i am struggling, which is most of the time.. but we are not doing anything extraordinary, simply finishing the work of a gentleman.

If we don't meet here before the 25th, best wishes for my part to all, for a very merry Christmas !!🎅💤💫🍷🎶🎿🎄🍲🐶🐱🎞️ 

Sam 

• Like 6

Thank you Sam. The engine, gearbox, rear drive and suspension are a detailed treat to see. Very well done. Your choices and workmanship are excellent and I'm sure Paul would be pleased to see his work in such capable hands.

I'm very glad Mrs Calvert is pleased with the progress and sure she will treasure the completed project. Her patience is appreciated.

Carry on at your pace and enjoy your family and holiday too!  :cheers:

C

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mates,

I wish you all  a Merry Christmas!

Great great job done on the rear with this stunning engine/gear box assy!

Can’t wait to see that Roooaaaaring beauty on its wheels! ;) 

Pascal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Codger said:

a detailed treat to see

Dear Codger,

Yes indeed, this is due to MFH incredible craftsmanship and your and Ron's wise counsel on how to proceed. 

i think the white metal material really makes a difference to work with. 

There is a different look and feel to plastic, even the best casted brands, even if properly airbrushed with the best pigments out there, enamel or other, i think white metals comes on top with incredible realism.  

When you apply just a little weathering on white metal, like oils and lighter fluid mix on metal, the realism is just stunning. 

also, I found using water based weathering liquid from vallejo very nice as well.

White metal is delicate to work with, but once one gets a few basic techniques covered, the results can be very satisfying.

Merry Christmas to all, time to go now for din-din.

sam

🎅

• Like 4

That engine is a doozy: love the way you've tidied up the ignition leads. Very realistic.

I concur regarding white metal: given a nice clean-up with Scotchbrite or a brass wire brush and a prime it will often render exquisite detail. Of course, being an MFH bit of white metal helps too. 👍

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

love the way you've tidied up the ignition leads. Very realistic.

Thank you sabrejet, the ignition cables were fitted by Paul. His modeling was very precise and neat.

Merry Christmas

Sam 

To everyone who has/is supporting this build, please accept my thanks and very best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

Sam, your skill and dedication to this build are a shining example of a true modeller and friend, and your progress is a fitting tribute to Paul's memory.

Mr C, you have overseen this project with great support and diplomacy whenever called upon, and I only wish I had been able to do more to help you both.

Much respect to you all.

Ron

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, silver911 said:

Sam, your skill and dedication to this build are a shining example of a true modeller and friend, and your progress is a fitting tribute to Paul's memory.

Mr C, you have overseen this project with great support and diplomacy whenever called upon, and I only wish I had been able to do more to help you both.

Your kind words overlook the fact that, like Sam,  you have actually handled parts that Paul did and applied your magic to them - something I have not done from my foreign outpost over here.

I not only regret losing Paul, but also losing the treat of your model building and artistry on this forum.

Your body of work here has always been instructional and entertaining to all the members on Brit.

Moreover, your communications with Zoe Calvert have been a great benefit to her morale and recovery from Paul's loss.

Your importance to this project cannot be overstated.

C

• Like 2

On 23/12/2018 at 22:23, sharknose156 said:

Thank you again for following and encouraging us, your words mean a lot, specially to me when i am struggling, which is most of the time.. but we are not doing anything extraordinary, simply finishing the work of a gentleman.

If this is "struggling", I'd love to see the results of one of your builds which you feel is going smoothly! This one is really looking like a masterclass (or at least it is to a beginner like me).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spiny said:

If this is "struggling",

Dear Spiny, 

Thank you for your very kind comments.

The Eagle is not an easy ride, due to its fragile architecture as Codger said somewhere here.

In general white metal is a very fragile medium to polish without any bending or scratching beyond repair. But the learning curve, although steep, can be short.

The metal parts need careful preparation before gluing. Fine and slow filling of casting marks with small watchmaker files, fine sanding with micromesh wet dry, and then slow dremel to bring out the metallic shine, very precise re-drilling of all pin holes, and must be cleaned from the tiniest metal dust. Unlike plastic where one can use milliput etc. if one goes too far, with metal you need to re-do the part.

Often several dry fitting of sub assemblies is required, because i found them to be composed of more parts than the usual plastic models' sub assemblies.

Also the fit is much more accurate but much stiffer than plastic, which has more tolerance because of its elasticity. 

Also, glue has to be applied to a minimum, it appears very easily on metal, but it can also be removed easily.  i use Cyano zipp accelerators to make the bond stiffer and dry faster,  and remove any lagging elasticity. The metal parts are heavier than plastic and require strong and stiff bonding, either by welding or glueing with cyano and sometimes even 2 parts resin.

However, i am perfectly happy to recommend trying a metal build to every modeller, even to a beginner modeller, anyone who likes a sharp and realistic result.

The best way to learn is to jump in the water and lean to swim. Even Harvey @harveyb258and Dan @PROPELLERand Pascal @pg265and Codger @Codgerand Ron @silver911 were all once beginners and i bet in short pants even ! The satisfaction and end result is worth all the frustrations during the build. 

Also, interestingly, in all the struggling and the steep learning curve, i am finding metal easier  - but may be longer in time -  to scratch and with a sharper result, i believe than plastic, but i may be wrong. 

Hope this helps, 

Happy New Year 2019 to all, health above all and may it be a smooth ride with its share of the necessary good fortune  !

• Like 4

Sam, you’re doing a great job. Your work and Ron’s is a great testament to the modeling community here on this forum and more importantly being able to maintain the high quality and standards started by Paul!

I know that these higher end kits are not easy to work on and get right. I’ve had my own struggles working with white metal and resin parts so, I know how challenging it can be at times.

Anyway, it’s been a while since I commented here and I just wanted you, Ron and Paul’s wife to know that I’m here with you guys and support everything that you are doing. If you need anything and I can help, just let me know. 

Keep up the great work! Happy New Year!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

Also, interestingly, in all the struggling and the steep learning curve, i am finding metal easier  - but may be longer in time -  to scratch and with a sharper result, i believe than plastic

There's no going back now, Sam:lol:.

It may be a steep learning curve, but with a bit of patience and the skills you clearly possess, there will be no stopping you.

I'm lovin' the progress, so keep up the good work, matey!!

Happy and healthy New Year to you all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers, H

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Sam. Funny that, you should mention the F-40. But, before I go there, I wanted to point out that I forgot to mention Codger in my last post. I think that he has been instrumental in helping keep your team going and driving the build resurrection for Paul's family. I actually sat down last night and got the F-40 out of the box to reacquaint myself with where I left off and, to start working on it again. I should have something to post in the next few days. In the meantime, I have been working on a Pocher Alfa Monza which is moving along. I have not started a thread on it and I'm not sure if I will or not. I have been taking lots of pictures of it so, it could become a build thread very easily. I've been following Dave's Alfa and his is so much more than what I'm doing that, the Monza might be a little too simple, if a Pocher is ever simple. Anyway, right now, I am working on two Pochers at the same time, I just haven't posted anything on them. Sorry, I didn't mean to high jack your thread, anything further will be on my F-40 thread. 

Hang in there Sam!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, larchiefeng said:

I forgot to mention Codger in my last post. I think that he has been instrumental in helping keep your team going and driving the build resurrection for Paul's family

Yes indeed, am vey happy we are in quasi-constant touch and his wisdom and experience is key to the results we see.

As for your Monza, i believe a Pocher is never just another car to build, so i hope you decide to share the pics and we can all learn and enjoy the build.

14 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

There's no going back now, Sam:lol:.

Yes indeed ! and you are and will always be a very big inspiration for developing my techniques :worthy:

Happy New year to all

Sam

• Like 1