MFH - 1:20 Eagle T1G 1968

PC2012

• 2 weeks later...

a small update for those following

the first thing i did was to build a craddle or support to stabilize the car and protect it

on the advise of Codger i used styrofoam as the main contact with the car.

when i am not working, the car is removed and placed in a plastic box sealed from dust etc.

this is the car in its craddle before starting  this great task ahead !

20180819_220548#1

now i started working on the front part 

the tiny rivets are all drilled and placed by Paul, minute and very clean and precise work, all i am doing is the easy part, putting it together 

20180916_155022

the back part

20180916_155028

now in a dry fit in its place

the back side of the tiny rivets sometimes interfere with the very accurate fit required by white metal parts 

but a little file and slow dremel and the job is done

for those who would like to try white metal, for glueing i recommend to use thin AC with a touch of zip.

or weld it at the back and then file it.

20180918_013942

20180916_172502

this fits perfectly well now.

thats the beauty of metal, it is clean and solid. Looks easy, but i can tell you the white metal can bend if one insists and then if out of shape it will not fit !

this part is kept now staying  in a dry fit position until i am sure the front suspensions and dampers will come into place cleanly as well.

Next step is to work on the front suspensions, have to polish the white metal without bending any tiniest part !

will also work on the back part next and probably fit the engine and gearbox.

so the car's progress will be balanced front and back.

well thats it for today,

more next week

thanks for watching 

Sam

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

A great start on a difficult job; I'm sure the fitting has not been as easy as you describe. My personal thanks for taking a project I could not.

It's great to see Paul's work in the light of day and not shuttered in an attic. I'm sure he's smiling...

• Like 2

On 9/25/2018 at 2:14 PM, larchiefeng said:

You guys are doing great work to complete this for Paul!

The bulk of the credit goes to Sam who is doing the hands-on work you'll see posted here. He has made a great accommodation in his time and personal life to bring this to completion. He and Ron have volunteered to shoulder this project to bring hoped-for comfort to Paul's widow and family.

A completed model displayed on Brit always gave Paul a sense of complete satisfaction, beyond just completing a model. That is the goal here too, in his absence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Codger, It's a real shame that you can't bring your considerable talent to bear on this build as well. I know that Sam will do a great job and we all know that Ron is a master with oils and can create realism like no one else. Just go back and look at the great work he did with the Pocher Ducati he built and posted here on the forum. Keep up the good work guys, we're all behind you on this project!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Larchiefeng, Codger is being super modest as usual. Any piece you see here has his famous building philosophy and personal touch included. 

dear all, 

time for a new update.

In these days as you know for sure, the gearbox structure was an extension of the engine/chassis and rested on the engine block. 

It was supporting some of the suspension arms and oil filters. So in order to further progress on the car, we need to secure the engine in place now. No more dry fit. 

BUT, before we can seal the engine in its place definitively, we have to make sure the beautiful exhausts of this car, will precisely fit without effort in their 12 small cradle holes in the engine block as well. Otherwise imagine if we have to remove the engine later when the exhausts will be mounted ...

For those interested, the exhausts were made of titanium, one of the numerous innovations this car brought to F1 racing.

They were melted and hand forged by one blacksmith / ironmonger Dan Gurney remembers as a real artist in his book 'Gurney-Eagle-Weslake' by Bob Varsha and Peter Harhold. 

here is the real car, where you can clearly see the interweaving of these exhausts 'feathers'.

Dan-Gurney-foto-4

and here are the beautiful exhausts hand painted with oils by Ron ( Silver 911 ) !!!

20180901_213922

and here we can see the exhausts, uff uff, pass the dry fit test ! so the engine can now be fitted permanently and the build can progress at the back.

20180901_213657

so now, the engine block is in place, and the work has started on the gearbox.

this gearbox was painted by Paul. 

Again, you can see the beautiful rivets he fitted on the back-frame.

20180918_010754

thank you for watching, and more in a week

Sam

• Like 9

The detail work on this model is pretty incredible! I remember early on when Paul was drilling all those holes and adding all the rivets; it was a little mind boggling. There must be a few hundred added rivets to the body and metal tub and plates; they really add another level of realism to the build. That, along with the clean engine work is going to make it a classic build. Working with white metal and resin are not the easiest materials turn into art but, it looks like you and Ron are maintaining the standard set and started by Paul. You guys are really doing it justice with your craftsmanship and superb painting skills.

• Like 2

Thank you  @larchiefeng, yes working with metal and resin is beautiful specially when all clicks, you feel you have a racing car's parts - even if very small - in your hands.

As you say Paul made a very precise and clean job on the engine, lacing the wires precisely and i must say it is flawless the way he aligned and pinned the cables, wires and plugs.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:11 AM, sharknose156 said:

yes working with metal and resin is beautiful specially when all clicks, you feel you have a racing car's parts - even if very small - in your hands

I couldn't agree more, Sam. I built MFH's Mac M7A and haven't touched plastic since!!

Keep up the good work, mate!

Cheers, H

• Like 2

Been out of the loop for a while and saddened to hear of Paul's passing, my heart goes out to he's beloved wife and family.

I only had the pleasure discussing each others work on a few builds but he's knowledge and skill was exceptional, he is a sad loss to our community.

Total respect to you guys in finishing the Eagle, it will be a great epitaph to Paul and his immense talent.

Kind Regards

John

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jampton said:

Been out of the loop for a while and saddened to hear of Paul's passing, my heart goes out to he's beloved wife and family.

I only had the pleasure discussing each others work on a few builds but he's knowledge and skill was exceptional, he is a sad loss to our community.

Total respect to you guys in finishing the Eagle, it will be a great epitaph to Paul and his immense talent.

Kind Regards

John

Yes, Paul inspired that kind of friendship among those of us who appreciated his work and good nature. He will surely be missed but thanks to Sam and Ron, his work will live on and hopefully inspire others to higher levels.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone ! a little update, 

1.  Paul wrote he wanted the dashboard wired. So i put in some wires and placed the dashboard in it's final place.

Will post better pictures tomorrow, so apologies for this 'phone' shot...but you can see the fit and the cable colour contrast.. i think it should be sufficient: 5 white, light blue and green cables. I am not sure how much of the cables will be seen when all is in place, but so what !

20181027_230716

2. Here is the first part of the front inside structure which supports the anti roll bar, and the brake and clutch reservoirs (not in this picture ).

It is now final, assembled and glued together.  Tomorrow i plan to add the brake fluid and clutch oil reservoirs.

The picture is bad, it does not do justice to the 4 different metal colours, painted using AK interactive metal waxes, and some parts were just polished, some polished by Paul, who again did the beautiful riveting.

20181027_183828

3. Here you see the polished front wheels rods and suspensions - without the springs, which were painted black but are still drying, and the dampers etc.

The polish was started by Paul, and then i finished painting the small parts, which will compose the Girling disc brakes, calipers, etc. to fit inside the magensium wheels which will soon make their appearance...

20181027_231600

note : i have used this small fiber optic brush to polish the rods. I recommend it for thin white metal parts ( not for large surface ). 

i find it much easier to do the job than using wet & dry and risk bending the white metal thin rod pieces out of shape. This has to stay "millimetricly" precise.

Tomorrow more progress on the front brakes and dampers, and prepping the large oil radiator in brass and photo etched... it is a spectacular piece believe me.

thank you for watching !

Sam

• Like 5

All wonderful detail work - I'm sure Paul is smiling!

Working out a sequence that someone else has started is definitely problematic - and time consuming. You are proceeding in an orderly manner Sam - bravo! Your caution about the fragile parts is commendable.

Update as time allows but I'm sure many of us are anxious to see your results. :worthy:

• Thanks 1

Just spectacular.

Having struggled with a 1/12th scale MFH kit, I can't imagine what it takes to build at 1/20th.  Way beyond me.

Great work and for a noble reason.

Edited by Endeavor
  • Thanks 1

Gentlemen, you are far too kind.. am actually humbled and inspired by your respective achievements and consider each of you four, a teacher and an inspiration.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

also this is a team's work which includes Codger as the Maestro conductor and Ron as the Soprano.

Not to forget Zoe of course who is very supportive. 

Thank you all 

Sam

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have come very late to this thread, however I’m glad I have. It is a great credit to everyone involved and restores faith in humanity especial in these times of dubious religious and political extremes. 

I hope everyone involved and following will take the time to reflect on this fabulous selfless endeavour. 

While the final model will be extremely important to Paul’s family it would be nice to have the opportunity to see it at a model show especially if presented with the back story. It offers a great message to everyone.

Best wishes 

Quentin 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SlowQ said:

I have come very late to this thread, however I’m glad I have. It is a great credit to everyone involved and restores faith in humanity especial in these times of dubious religious and political extremes. 

I hope everyone involved and following will take the time to reflect on this fabulous selfless endeavour. 

While the final model will be extremely important to Paul’s family it would be nice to have the opportunity to see it at a model show especially if presented with the back story. It offers a great message to everyone.

Best wishes 

Quentin 

On behalf of the three of us, I thank you for your generous comments. Sam continues work and will update soon. Our goal is to present the model to the family as Paul's tribute.

C

Thank you Quentin for your kind post.

To many, Britmodeller represents a group people of many faiths and origins, but the root human values remain the same. Our common passion bring us together and Paul was a wonderful person.

A little update:

first the 2 front rocker arms were installed to the front part of the chassis.

My boss in this project and dear friend Codger said something like 'let's make sure the wheels will touch the ground",  so i made a little test:

alignment and heights, front view

20181029_095850#1

alignment from above:

20181029_100013

the wishbone rocker arms have weld marks on the original car :

20181106_225525

so as you can see below, i added a lead wire 0.5 mm on the cavity made by MFH weld lines.

the scale is 1: 20 so i don't need to exhaust myself to minute details. For a bigger scale, one can use a syringe's needle to reproduce the weld waves.

20181106_222114

then i started working on the front brakes:

in the real car, there is a red seal in the brakes caliper and wheel support which impressed me with the red color contrast and detail:

20181106_224419

so i tried to reproduce the seal, using a copper painted lead wire, 

20181106_221554

after a few tries ( almost 10...)

not a perfect circle, but the illusion will do on 1:20

20181106_224215

then i painted the shock absorbers springs, using enamel paint, glossy black, after applying a metal primer, and then a glossy varnish. For the base of the rear damper bone, i painted it copper red, as in the picture of the real car.

Paul had already painted the disk brakes. Please admire the smooth granulation resulting from his airbrushing. 

I was tempted to reproduce slightly thicker springs, scratch from thicker wires, but the result after painting seemed to precisely match the scale on the real picture 2nd below, 

so i kept the original springs.

20181106_224158

20181106_225615

in the next update you will see that I will also add the weld lines on the wheel support.

As Bugs Bunny said 'thats all Folks' !

warm regards to all

Sam

• Like 4