Tony there's a super colour photo of a B. 1 on the "Handley Page Victor B. 1 and 2 differences" thread.  The bomb doors appear to be fully open, I.e. you can't see 'em hanging below the lower edge of the fuselage side skin.

There's another photo, in glorious colour of an SR. 2 in flight, showing the doors fully open (it was used on the cover of the SAM covering RAF reconnaissance types umpty-poo years ago).  The aeroplane's banked away from the camera with the bomb/camera bay doors fully open and, again, the bottoms of the doors cannot be seen projecting below the fuselage side skins.

I'm looking forward to seeing some progress with your Victor on Tuesday: I need some inspiration for mine.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

On 16/01/2017 at 8:38 PM, sloegin57 said:

Paul.

if you are doing an all-white Blue Steel Victor don't bother with the underwing tanks.  These were deleted early after a pair of them fell of a QRA aircraft (XL158) in late '63 due to a design fault.  Bomber Command were quite concerned that there was approximately 8,000lbs of Avtur sloshing around a live Blue Steel filled with HTP.  Underwing tanks were not re-introduced until HP's had corrected the fault, at their expense, around mid '65 and then only slowly.

If you do ever build a camo Blue Steel aircraft and fit underwing tanks, remove the small intake on the underside of the nose.  This was part of the wing group fuel system jettison and only introduced around 1969 on the B.SR.Mk.2's.  Replace the intake on the nose of the tank with a small triangular NACA intake (black decal should do).  A few Blue Steel aircraft had the fuselage group fuel system jettison fitted low down on the port rear fuselage but this does not apply to the all white aircraft of which there were only five and all entered service with 139Sqdn.  Anyway that part is not in the kit.

HTH

Dennis

Hi Dennis, very useful info there. One question, does the point of the NACA  triangle face forward or aft? Many thanks.

Edited by avro683
Grammar

1 hour ago, avro683 said:

Hi Dennis, very useful info there. One question, does the point of the NACA  triangle face forward or aft? Many thanks.

Forward :-

sBjIxRI.jpg

Also delete the jettison valve fairing at the rear :- 

GkJiuLL.jpg

Dennis

• Like 3

The NACA intake always has the point forward for an intake and if it is ever used as an exhaust its towards the back. I once wrote a little article for another site about them so remember that well. Most of the intakes have a sort of S shape to the intake sides too.

Gondor

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I believe I missed this thread, I would love to see any updates on this build. Victors great, I built one earlier this year. I really should build another but I'm waiting on a pure bomber version from Airfix.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 2:15 PM, Adam Poultney said:

I believe I missed this thread, I would love to see any updates on this build. Victors great, I built one earlier this year. I really should build another but I'm waiting on a pure bomber version from Airfix.

Adam, the first kit can be built as a pure bomber from the box, albeit sans hardware. I am doing one now.

Edited by avro683
Extra text
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, avro683 said:

Adam, the first kit can be built from the box. I am doing one now.

70338291_836551606759882_505382076660527

Big oops! I just got one delivered....

XM715 before she got the ifr probe and Küchemann carrots me thinks. I might just go with XL189 straight OOB but I think it's going to at least be a bomber rather than Blue Steel as I already have one of those from my first build of this kit.

1 minute ago, Adam Poultney said:

Big oops! I just got one delivered....

XM715 before she got the ifr probe and Küchemann carrots me thinks. I might just go with XL189 straight OOB but I think it's going to at least be a bomber rather than Blue Steel as I already have one of those from my first build of this kit.

The parts to model the kit with the bay open are on sprue C and J.

• 8 months later...