1/48 Westland Scout - FINISHED!

Bell209

With the Lincoln done, it's time to make a serious start on the Scout. I've started with the old Fujimi 1/50 Westland Wasp kit, which isn't too bad in outline but is low on detail.

51970030226_462b60f670_b.jpg

51969030297_d8733d8cd7_b.jpg

As many here will know, the Wasp differs from the Scout primarily in the undercarriage and rear tail areas.

51969030057_a567b910a1_b.jpg

I've removed the offending undercarriage support areas and antenna lump from the lower fuselage and cut the rear part of the fin away (saw disc on the Dremel works wonders!). Unfortunately, it's left a rather ragged hole which I'm going to have to fill after joining the halves permanently.

51970320974_af25bf2498_b.jpg

There are a lot of rivets on this kit and, in this case, I need to retain them as much as possible as they are quite prominent on the real aircraft being domed rivets, rather than flush (pretty much the standard for helicopters due to their low speed). I reckon some of the bits I cut off the Lancaster for the Lincoln conversion will fit the bill nicely, as they already have rivet detail on the plastic but if not, I've bought some stick-on rivets to add later. I'll use the same for the fin and (possibly) the horizontal stab, both of which will need to be made from scratch. The instrument panel is extremely basic and incorrect, so I'll build a new one from plasticard using my new punch set from MicroMark and the excellent Airscale decals.

51970590965_58766597f2_b.jpg

Scratchbuilt instrument panel is in progress, as are the internal mods needed. I'll be tinting the upper canopy windows with Future and blue food colour, too.

• Like 12

You've got a fair bit of work ahead there and I'm sure quite a few followers behind you as we all discover this one. Best of luck with it :thumbsup: 

16 minutes ago, zebra said:

I'd like a 1/48 Scout (British Army, as used in the Falklands, if you're reading this Mr Airfix!) so looking forward to seeing how this goes. Whose colours will it be in? British Army or RAN?

I'm sure Airfix will produce one just before I finish this conversion! It's going to end up as one of two RAN Scouts operated in the 70's from survey ships.

• Like 3

Making some progress.The interior is too basic to leave as is; here's what the instructions show (I forgot to take "before" photos):

51970591025_d808bd8059_b.jpg

The centre pedestal is located too far aft and I've moved it to close to where it should be:

51969030392_41f79ffe87_b.jpg

The seats were just solid representations of the basic shape (the backs look pretty good, though), so I've resculpted them and added support rails. Next will be tissue cushions, more paint and belts.

51970027476_b0a37d1bc5_b.jpg

The rear seat is a basic shape of the canvas-covered, tube-framed item.

51970027516_04dfca38ec_b.jpg

So, I added some texture to it with toilet paper, soaked in water and PVA glue.

51970096543_3792f19303_b.jpg

It'll get a coat of paint once it's dry and should look the goods through the windows.

The basic instrument panel is too basic and doesn't represent the configuration of the RAN aircraft, so I've had my first attempt at a custom panel.

51970590965_2c8f667364_k.jpg

The indents on the plastic backing are my guide marks for the Airscale decals which will be applied after I apply a coat of Future to it. I'll then attach the brass front sheet and glue it in place.

I've pinched some cyclic sticks from my 1/48 Revell Wessex (I have an accessory kit for it to replace them) and a collective from a Cat 5'd Huey to add to the interior. Tail rotor pedals will be scratchbuilt from brass sheet and added shortly. More to follow...

• Like 6

It's a kit lacking in deatil agreed but as you have found out it's the basis of something better and that is what modelling is all about and I wish you luck with your venture. i'll be dipping in along the way.

Colin

Right, so I have done a bit more:

51970591080_729471db78_b.jpg

Decals added before adding facia.

51970591115_a8832c3afb_b.jpg

Here's the two joined compared with the standard kit panel. I wanted to reproduce the prominent white surrounds on the Scout/Wasp panels and used decal lettering for it. Not sure it was a good idea...

51970027646_4688ec1db6_b.jpg

Once fitted to the cockpit centre pedestal it looks much better:

51970318634_b69fbc1517_b.jpg

I've added a fire extinguisher, rear seat supports, drilled the back of the pilots' seats added cushions and seat belts.

51970591235_70dae0421c_b.jpg

The canopy dying isn't working quite the way I wanted:

51970318549_7b84d33afd_b.jpg

51969027682_f8645e8f40_b.jpg

The Danger decals are for the tail later...

I've separated the side door windows as they looked rubbish joined.

51969027702_f7749f9ce5_b.jpg

They'll need another coat or two of Future after the glue dries. They were pretty opaque from the start. Then I'll join the two halves.

• Like 4

Nice work so far! Its bad enough to try and get a decent wasp out of the kit let alone converting to a scout! Looking forward to seeing this come to fruition, it may even give me the urge I need to kickstart my Waspie.

Bob

8 hours ago, John_W said:

I don't know about RAN, but the roof on British Scouts was tinted black.

Hmmm, the pics I've seen suggest they're a very dark blue (one of the reasons I'm not happy with the tinting as it stands). I doubt the parts are different for any of the variants but not having worked on these, I'm happy to be corrected.

• Like 1

I believe RN Wasps were tinted blue and as these Scouts were procured for naval work, I suspect that blue might well be correct here. When I built my wasp many moons ago, I sprayed the tinted bits with thin coats of Tamiya Clear blue until I got the effect I was looking for. I originally tried brush painting these areas but found that the pant did not brush at all well. Maybe this is the problem you are having?

Martian

8 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Maybe this is the problem you are having?

May well be. I brushed the Future mix on where I normally spray it. I think I'll remask, add more dye to the mix and spray more on and see how it comes out. Worst case I'll Windex it and start again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bell209 said:

May well be. I brushed the Future mix on where I normally spray it. I think I'll remask, add more dye to the mix and spray more on and see how it comes out. Worst case I'll Windex it and start again.

I think you would be wise to strip what you have done and start again with a clean part as I suspect you will end up having to do that anyway. It may also be that the dye you are adding to the Klear may be contributing to the problem and it may be better to go straight to the Tamiya clear blue t least when I build my next Wasp and/or Scout that is the way I will be going.

Martian

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Hmmm, the pics I've seen suggest they're a very dark blue (one of the reasons I'm not happy with the tinting as it stands). I doubt the parts are different for any of the variants but not having worked on these, I'm happy to be corrected.

My Brother worked on them for many years before moving on to Lynx. He was always annoyed because the Airfix box art showed a green tint.

Like I said, this was British Army, so foriegn service and specification could be different.

I built the Wasp kit many years ago. I remember the engine detail was non existent.

Great work so far.

I've just been looking at pictures of the RAN Scout in its museum and it honestly looks like the blueyblack I used on my British Army Scout

A very dark bluey black which I think I used a felt tip pen to achieve

I like, like, like the white lines for the IP, a hint and or tip which may reappear soon in another thread, not far,far away

• Like 1

Thanks mate. Yeah, looking at some of the other pics I have of the Scout, it is a very dark blue in the sun which will look almost black otherwise. I believe the replacement aircraft at the RAN FAA Museum has a Wasp canopy as it is very definitely blue and, as you say, Scouts were a dark brown. Just have to find a means of making it dark enough for my liking (I'm about to strip the current lot off with a new bottle of Windex). I suspect the RAN used blue after discussions with the RN FAA as they were very tight back then (many RAN aircraft still carried RN serials until well into the late 70's, rather than adopting the RAN/RAAF/Army A-series numbering).

• Like 1

So, Windex removed the unsat tinting and I'm waiting for it to dry completely before reattempting a darker tint. The side transparencies also had their Future coats removed for yet another go at removing their clouded appearance (had anyone else with this kit noticed they're cloudy out of the packet or am I just unlucky?) - normally I wouldn't get too upset at a slightly clouded window set on an old kit like this but I'd like to see some of the extra work I put in on the cockpit after the kit's done!

Started on detailing the engine while waiting for the transparencies as it also is badly in need of work. Photos soon.

• Like 2