1/48 Westland Scout - FINISHED!

Bell209

Great to see this return. Like many others, I long for a decent modern tooling of the Wasp/Scout.  You are making a great fist of turning a right old dog of a kit (I have one in my stash, so I know!) into something way better.  

Last night I managed to make up the wander light attached to the instrument combing and its accompanying lead from thin copper wire (almost impossible to see with the canopy fitted). I also fitted the canopy after masking the side windows first (I was a bit concerned I may push them through if I left it 'til later). Clamping the canopy in place (it didn't want to fit nicely at the rear) resulted in me cracking the top of the forward right crosstube clamp. It should be okay with some filling under paint (I'm certainly not redoing it now!)

51970030201_22a643739a_b.jpg

Most of my attention has been on the Engine and Main Transmission area. I'm done on the left side and am still progressing the right side. Details added to the left include various pipes and cables, representations of the bleed valves, fuel pumps, etc and adding the rest of the oil cooler ducting (Fujimi mysteriously stopped it at the forward junction where it turns under the engine), along with the aforementioned intake/outlet screen. A couple of additional supports for both the engine and transmission were also manufactured and added. I could do more but I won't (other than touching up a couple of areas with paint where it flaked off during bending).

51970030196_4c4259bd89_b.jpg

The right side is a work in progress. More pipes and hoses, the throttle and anticipator input rods and a representation of the anticipator/throttle assembly (whichever the rear one is) have all been made up. The oil and fuel filter assemblies were also made up from scrap sprue. Still a bit more work to do here.

51970321034_2954575f61_b.jpg

It's a vast improvement over what Fujimi supplied, though. I'm surprised there's no aftermarket stuff for this kit (I bet there will be for the new Wasp/Scout kits!). The engine is crying out for a nice resin alternative. The 1/48 (1/50?) Alouette III in the stash will need the same attention eventually as its engine is also out in the open.

• Like 10

Calling the engine and transmission done on this. The top of the engine is a 'best guess' as there don't seem to be photos of that area available (should've taken some when I was at the Helicopter Museum at Weston Super-Mare a few years ago!). I'd love to get that burnished bronze effect on the exhaust but those skills continue to elude me!

51969028492_34fe3f65af_b.jpg

51969028522_232581346e_k.jpg51970097648_fe7539c5ac_b.jpg51970319524_409fe1f4f6_b.jpg

There's a small gauge I'll add as a decal in the hydraulic service centre area when I do the rest of the decals. Sharp eyes may pick the squared-off rod on the hyd service area where a test-fit of the deck to the fuselage revealed a fit issue with the sloping rear cabin. It won't be evident once it's all done.

Time to move onto something else. Time to give the Tail Rotor some attention, I think.

• Like 10

I used the kit's Tail Rotor Gearbox and made a new pitch change mechanism to the right side. I also made an anti-collision light support from one of my leftover rings made for the landing gear dampers.

51970097693_05322de666_b.jpg

I utilised an old bomb sway brace to make a Pitch Change Crosshead for the Tail Rotor and drilled the roots of the Tail Rotor Blades to accept some fine wire. Once dry, I added blobs of PVA glue to represent the small counterweights on each blade.

51970592320_ab68e67ea8_b.jpg

I also filled the hole I made in the front of the lower fuselage with plasticard (I forgot to get a photo).

The project goes back into hiatus now until I next go home in a couple of months.

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Here's the aforementioned underside hole on the under fuselage and I've (finally) finished masking the windows

51970320994_c80c74422f_b.jpg

51970030231_cfe1f87dcc_b.jpg

Not too happy with that rear port window but I may be able to bring it up to height with Future when it's done. Still some details to add to the underside yet and then I'll add the rivet decals before painting. I'm not usually a fan of heavy rivetting but they are quite prominent on the Scout and Wasp.

I've been working from home lately so don't have the time I thought I would to work on this and others. Still, there's a four-day weekend coming up...

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Drilled out the steerable landing light position and realised I hadn't filled any of the holes for the Wasp landing gear attachments! A bit of filling, sanding, priming, filling, etc ensued and here's where I am now.

51970593590_b9de9303a4_b.jpg

You may see a few holes ready for antennae in this shot, too. Added two drain pipes in front of the tailboom attachment point and cut open the hyd test ports(?) on the lower rear starboard side as well.

Paint next.

• Like 6

I've made extensive use of Graeme Molineux's RAN Scout walkaround at http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/Westland_AH-1_Scout_WS101_RAN_Nowra_Walkaround/content/index_3.html. Pretty sure that aircraft is the one that was rebuilt after this crash in 1985 when an unqualified tradie decided to hover taxy it. He hit a fence.

• Like 1

Photos:

51970030091_6279b7d643_b.jpg

51970320929_479a1f2ccc_b.jpg

Looking at the last photo made me go back and remove some more carrier film I'd missed and tidy up the scratched areas (had to use a magnifying glass, too!). After recoating with Mr Surfacer 1000, the rivets on the fin have almost disappeared. 😪

• Like 5

Great to see the work you're doing on this.  I'm just about to start the engine detailing work on the Wasp variant so will take inspiration from what you have achieved.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last details tidied before applying the gloss coat. Fitted the wheels one of my fellow Aussiemodeller forum members generously donated. Not sure where they're from (a 1:144 airliner, I suspect?) but they do the job nicely. You may notice I've also added tie-down rings to the end of the crosstubes.

51970593670_3546c59104_b.jpg

I also fitted the Main Rotor Blades and gave them the prerequisite amount of droop. The grip area of the rotor head is nothing like the actual item, so I've done some surgery to try to make it a little more like the original. I can't do much more without weakening the whole assembly, so it will have to do.

51970321049_d36a53f52d_b.jpg

Future gloss coat tomorrow - lots of dust to remove first!

• Like 7

Rob, 

That droop is very consistent both along the blade length and between blades.  Any tips for achieving that?  Whenever I've done helicopters before I can never get that aspect to look right.  Thanks

I filed the blade mating surfaces on the rotor head so it gave me the angle I was after, dry fitting a few times along the way. I then filled the resultant gaps with Mr Surfacer 500. It's not really correct as the blades droop from the inboard end of the grips, not the outboard but it should be good enough in this scale. Future gloss coat went on this morning, so I should be decaling tomorrow (although I might go dirt bike riding instead!) or over the weekend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rob.  I might try that instead of my usual "heat the blade in warm water and let it cool suspended from either end with tension in the middle" method which never seems to work very well

Yeah, I've tried that technique with the same result! I may try the hairdryer heating technique on some of the larger helos in my stash, though. You have to work out what's best for the job. On my recent AH-1P Cobra build, I cut the blades off the head, inserted a wire support and reattached them with the desired angles. Some techniques are better than others...

Not too many decals for this one.

51969030107_4081275c0c_b.jpg

51970099193_f461278031_b.jpg

Note that these shots were taken just after I applied the decals and the Micro Sol is yet to be applied. They're still settling, which is why there's a lot of silvering evident (Micro Set and Sol discolour the Future gloss coat until it's all dry). The kit decals are woeful. LOTS of Micro Sol was needed to bend them into shape and even then they tore in a few places. I may take the Main Rotor Blade ones off yet and just paint the tips yellow. I'm not convinced the RAN aircraft had the blade colour markings done this way, anyway. They're much more likely to be a thin band at the blade roots but I can't find any decent photos to confirm that.

The Main Rotor and Engine Deck are just temp fitted for a look at this stage, so don't panic! I think I may have drooped the blades a bit too far but too late now.

I need to scratch up a cargo hook and cabling before the final gloss(ish) clear coat goes on. Also have to paint and add the various antennae.

• Like 7

Wowza! She looks great. I unfortunately sold my one in a stash cull later last year. Still I’m enjoying watching this one come together. That engine is ace. I was going to ask about the HGW rivets as I used them on my Lanc and most of the detail was lost. Seems like you had the same issue. They really should be more bumpy. 🤔 Wonderful paintwork too. Almost done. 👍

Johnny

• Thanks 1

So I thought I'd have a crack at scratchbuilding a cargo hook. Two hours later:

51969029107_fd0d8cf1d5_b.jpg

Despite several goes with the macro focus, I still couldn't get a good shot - this is the best I can do. The squares on the cutting mat are 10 x 10 mm, to give you an idea of size.

I still have to add the springs to each side, then paint it. The finish line approaches...

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

This will be the last post in this section before it goes to RFI.

This is what happens when you leave Tamiya tape in place for over 12 months - the adhesive breaks down and leaves clumps of white residue.

51970593600_d2f5ed089c_b.jpg51970320959_bdfd1ed4fa_b.jpg

The moral of the story is don't use Tamiya tape (I'll be sticking with 3M products from now on) and don't leave tape on too long (not sure I can commit to that...)!

Fortunately, patience with Windex, cotton buds (or Qtips, for our US brothers and sisters) and a sharp blade has removed a lot of the residue and studious reapplication of Future seems to have restored most of the rest of the clarity. I'll have to retouch the blue tint on the canopy but it's nearly there now.

I've added bracing wire (stretched sprue) to the horizontal stabiliser, nav lights to both cabin sides, antennae, belly-mounted steerable landing light, hook and cabling and an anti-collision light to the tail since, too. A few more coats of Future, a touch of matted Future to the tyres and she'll be (finally!) ready for inspection.

• Like 10

Oh man that’s a shame about the tape. I always use Tamiya tape as it’s of such good quality. I guess they don’t do the year long test. Bloody good save through. Looking forward to the final shots.

Johnny.