B-17F "Shamrock Special"

Roman Schilhart

Dear fellow Britmodellers.

I am currently working on Revell's 1/72 B-17F kit, which contains markings for B-17F-10-BO, serial 42-29591, LL-Z, The Shamrock Special, 8th Air Force, 91st Bomb Group, 401st Bomb Squadron.

Revell's instructions are a bit vague:

- Revell's painting/marking section show "Shamrock Special" with a astrodome.

(The astrodome is not mentioned in the build instructions though.)

As "Shamrock" is an early production B-17F (F-10 block), should it have an astrodome - or the flat transparent panel?

I have found two period photographs of "Shamrock", but can't tell for sure which part should be fitted.

Information on this subject is welcome.

Thanks!

I would err on the side of the flat panel but with the raised metal base in place. it is a bit fifty-fifty.

Looking through Havelaar's The Ragged Irregulars of Bassingbourn: the 91st Bombardment Group in World War II, it appears that the Fs were, in the main, devoid of astrodomes.

However, the metal base mount for just such an astrodome is clearly in place in two photographs of The Shamrock Special on p.71 of that book.

The book referred to is a gold mine of excellent photographs and a very informative text.

I am wary of the KitsWorld information as it often is misleading.  A look at their Ploesti B-24D decal illustrations - all showing ball turrets that were not employed on those aircraft - is one example.

Hope this helps,

Michael