Airfix 1/72nd Handley-Page Victor B Mk.2 (Blue Steel)

A splendid-looking build, Mon General. Steve Bakke lent me his Warpaint volume on the type, and the more i read thru it, the more i want to build one. I have the Matchbox kit with the Bentley drawings as well as the Flightpath conversion set, but not sure it i'll ever get to it. Have soooooo many projects on my "Shelf of Doom" i'd like to work off. An Airfix kit has gotta be a much faster, much more straightforward proposition.

Myself, i'm inclined to do an overall white one; I think Steve wants to do one too. Speaking as pilots, we can appreciate the extra range and endurance you get with the underwing tanks, but from an aesthetics standpoint........ick!

Happy Christmas! Headed off on another 11-day tour.

david

• Like 1

Thanks fellas, really appreciate the comments...

Colin, totally agree...F A B. Hopefully catch up with you at Brunty next year.

Stew, well if you only ever make one jet then please do this one, it's a lot of fun

Dave, thanks, the Bentley drawings are superb and used to check everything in this build. The old MB/Revell kit still comes in handy for a B1 conversion. Know what you mean about the 'shelf' or in my case 'attic room of doom', really must get it sorted out. The next Victor will be an early white B2 probably XM715 after that it'll be a B (SR) 2 of 543 squadron. As you say the tanks were useful but they certainly didn't add to the aesthetics.

Good luck with the tour, (hope they tip well !)..

Happy Christmas all....

Very nice work, General; it confirms my intention to buy the new kit.  I probably will complete the old Matchbox kit one day, if I can rustle up the requisite bloody-mindedness.  After all, I only bought it 32 years ago!

Mention of the feathered edges on the camouflage reminds me.  I recall reading (it might have been in the Scale Models Warplanes Special) that feathered demarcation meant NATO green was used and hard demarcation indicated Dark Green.  Other than that I've never heard of NATO green being used in disruptive schemes on RAF aircraft except maybe recent application on helicopters.

Edited by JosephLalor

Hello,Andy - In your characteristic superb style, here's another beautifully built and finished scale replica of a magnificent aircraft. Your 'Victor' is a joy to behold.

Thank you so much for your earlier reply to my topic in the Chat Section. Very much appreciated. Santa kindly brought me the Revell 1/72 Shackleton which I'm delighted with.:yahoo:

Wishing your Goodself and Loved Ones a Merry Christmas and Good Health and Happiness for the New Year. 🎅🏻🍾👍 All the very best,Paul.

Thanks guys, 

Joseph thanks, I think you could well be correct though I notice that the IPMS Stockholm site has the Harrier GR5/7 painted in NATO Green at one stage. Bit of a mine field these colours especially the greens.

Paul, you're more than welcome, hope you had a good day, glad to hear Santa played ball and got you the Shack...look forward to seeing the end result, been toying with the idea of one myself. He was kind enough to drop me four large ABS storage boxes from his IKEA branch workshop, just the ticket to cart these large V-Bombers and 1/48th BC models to and from the shows......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thanks guys, 

Joseph thanks, I think you could well be correct though I notice that the IPMS Stockholm site has the Harrier GR5/7 painted in NATO Green at one stage. Bit of a mine field these colours especially the greens.

You're right on the big wing harriers being NATO Green.  It was the initial upper surface colour with Lichen Green undersurfaces.

• Like 2

Looks fantastic !

• Like 1

Thanks Chris and Bernd, I guess that for anyone building this one as their first Victor model the few fit issues may seem a bit daunting mainly due to its size but to us old war weary stalwarts of the Matchbox era, (in my case three of them) it's a walk in the park.....now they really were a labour of love.

• Like 3

A complex and big kit won t fall together on one evening. This one rides very high on my wish list.

The only Victor i have done in my teenage days was a 1:100 scale kit from Revell.

• Like 1

The only Victor i have done in my teenage days was a 1:100 scale kit from Revell.

Bernd that'll be the ancient Lindberg monstrosity, I finished one last year but converted it to the second HP80 prototype WB775...I couldn't resist the beautiful Cerulean Blue that it flew in during the 1955 and '56 SBAC shows. A lot of extra work, in fact not much of the original left, more a scratch-build project really...good fun though. (Also did the same to a Frog Victor B.1 a few years ago) 

DSC_0608_zpspssvao4p.jpg

• Like 5

Again a superb result and something different between the aircrafts in camo paints !

My Victor was slapped together and was brush painted but even under this conditions the Victor looked cool.

B)

• Like 1

Thanks Berndt, as you say the Victor generally looks great in most schemes...except for the awful hemp, I absolutely detest it but then I'm not that interested in the K2 version to be honest, to me they always looked at their best as strategic bombers or recon aircraft...an early white B1 with full high viz national markings being way and above my favourite mark and livery.

• Like 2

General, I do believe my parlour is painted in that very same Cerulean Blue. You just can't go wrong with Cerulean Blue! That prototype really does look beautiful, though - I suppose it would be far beyond my limited skills (and intellect) to be able to convert this new Airfix kit into that blue beauty. Oh dear, now I have to decide how to spend my Christmas money - this or the Amodel Be-10. I really do need both. Not want, but need. And a Revell Halifax B.III, and an Italeri Sunderland Mk.III, and a Skale Wings AD-5W...

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, very decent of you both,

Jason my old Yule Log, the Mem has taken the Cerulean Blue to heart and insisted that Melchett Towers be repainted in this shade in it's entirety including the windows, out houses, outside lavy and even the grass...she really will have to lay off the free range  mushrooms.

Now funnily enough I have a 1/72nd one planned, (Matchbox, not Airfix I might quickly add, the Christmas swear box wont quite stretch to that) so keep your eyes to the sky.

Oh dear, now I have to decide how to spend my Christmas money - this or the Amodel Be-10.

Well, difficult to decide between those two, having both I would needlessly point out that the Victor is the easier of the two to bung together (shocked look !), but the Be-10 is actually one of Amodels finest efforts to date and goes together rather nicely, more of that next year. Skale Wings AD-5W eh...interesting looking beast.

• Like 1

General yer Andiship this is so beautiful that when I saw it I dashed out and bought it

The magazine I mean obviously and thats been been a big decision since they decided to go the fantasy modelling route lately

As for the kit, if I had room enough and time I'd have one or three like a shot

So next year?

More something's specials huh?

Maaaagic

• Like 1

Ha, Sir Billiam, thanks for grabbing the mag hope you enjoyed and could make some sense out of the ramblings. Fear not there will be plenty more along these lines. Space is always going to be a thing with these 'bigguns' and understandably hold people back from acquiring them which is a shame coz they're a lot of fun to bang together. I'm very lucky in that Melchett Towers has a bit of space free so that these noble beasts can find a comfortable retirement home and thus there are a few more to come.

Next year, well yes plenty planned here, other than magazine work the main thing will be the big Bucc now I finally have all the metally bits I need to finish the dang thing....oh and at the other end of the scale I'll be back on the Skeeter once the carnage that will be New Year's Eve is over !

• Like 2