Airfix 1/72nd Handley-Page Victor B Mk.2 (Blue Steel)

General, old lump, you mean you never finished that tiny SARO Skeeter!? Why, with all these large thingies being built by your Generalship with such alacrity (and aplomb), I'd have thought that small trifle wouldn't take more than a few minutes after tea and biscuits to finish. So back to the Bucc, though. I guess the bank came through with the loan for the home extension to house the monstrous thing when done. I take it they accepted the Mem as collateral, then. Jolly good for them! Although, if the loan falls through, you could always rent some hangar space at the local airfield to display it (the Bucc, not the Mem). I do so look forward to you getting back to work on that beast (again, I'm referring to the Bucc, not the Mem, let me be very clear about that). As I recall, there was some wonderful badinage on that thread, and even a bit of modelling.

Best of the New Year,

Jason (Marshal, four times Hero of the Soviet Union, deceased)

Edited by Learstang
More wonderful tidbits of information added.
  • Like 1

Diseased Marshall, four times a bally hero I'm afraid I have to report that I did indeed falter at the last fence regarding the Skeets, sadly the wee fella's in stasis for now but will receive the kiss of life in the New Year.

a small trifle wouldn't take more than a few minutes after tea and biscuits to finish.

Sometimes the smallest ones are the most troublesome,  Tsarina (pocket-rocket) Melchettski being the living embodiment of this fact. Yes, thankfully the 'pay to play' wrinkle went through and space has now been cleared along with most of the Dresden in the East wing to proceed with Blackburn's finest. Be prepared for banterage on a worrying scale with a little bit of modelling chucked in for good measure......

Thanks Jay, have to agree with you......though to my jaded eyes the Tu-22 Blinder runs a close second.... 

• Like 1

On 24 December 2016 at 6:04 PM, general melchett said:

These things looked like they'd come straight out of the pages of a Dan Dare comic 

Agreed mon General. Particularly when viewed from below at an oblique angle, that pendulous nose seem very other worldly. Bung a nuclear reactor in there and you've got Schenck's Steam Bird to a T....

2751814._UY475_SS475_.jpg

It it goes without saying that this build is up to the standard, nay, the mark, the benchmark, and indeed to get straight to the point, that is to say, to forbear and discourage vacillation, it is a most pertinent manifestation of all that is Victorious.

Huzzahs on the fine work & etc.

Tony

• Like 1

Hi Tony, ta ever so ...I'm rather glad you didn't vacillate, dreadful mess, Darling did it three times last week, took forever for the mattress to dry out and the cat's gone into shock !,...

Good Lord :yikes:....now if that's not blatant plagarism then my name's not Susan ! Sir Fred would be doing his nut, steam powered indeed, must have been thinking of the 'Iron Maiden'.........looks a rather nifty kite though I must say....

Thanks Gazza,

somewhat easier than the old Matchbox offering!

Chalk and cheese, at the very least it's the right shape with the correct forward fuselage width and depth, canopy size and the wing trailing edges don't point at the ground.....

Meatbox,

Father Christmas brought me one of these but it won't end up looking as good as this.

Nonsense man, just have at it and enjoy yerself....I think Santa's been a bit busy in the Handley-Page department this year from what I hear...why I've been such a good little General this year apparently that he bought me another one too bless 'im...

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

John, it was the DSO that did it......Darling got me one for my birthday to hang around my neck at regimental balls and the such, at least I think that's what he said. Next year he's getting me a George Medal off Ebay.......and of course by then Airfix will have bought out a nice shiny new Vulcan...

Following all the above intensely as the Victor just has to be "The" perfect looking aircraft.  Mine is winging its way to the sunny Borders mail order as I write and I just had to pop out and get a copy of AMW for the article which is in its third reading.  Got the last one on the shelf at WH Smiths so clearly done a brisk trade.

I have 2 Matchbox renderings in the stash with conversion sets which I suppose will not see the light of day now which is a pity but no longer sure what they might be good for ...:hmmm:  I suspect if doing a conversion back to an earlier mark of the bomber I would start with another Airfix model as the base to begin from given the problems of the Matchbox model.  Sometimes life really is too short and time precious and I can't drum up the enthusiasm to make life more difficult than it needs be.

The first and second prototypes might be done with an awful lot of hacking, cutting filling and ones favourite tipple perhaps to soothe the nerves and irritations away.  The fuselage needs shortened and the tail made taller and narrower too just for starters.  Still if it got binned half way through I wouldn't shed any tears.

Any advice Mon General as the resident Victor expert?

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, very much appreciated. I'm glad you enjoyed the article hopefully most things were explained but if not please just ask, if I can help I will.

John, although the MB kit can be turned into a nice rendition this kit just makes things so much easier. I have a couple in the stash and these will donate their bodies to drastic surgery. One will definitely become the second prototype WB775 resplendent in it's Cerulean Blue. As you rightly point out a lot of work but a good basis for the conversion along with the DB/FlightPath resin B1 set...but definitely not an overnight project. The Airfix kit should be quite a straightforward conversion by comparison.

Another has donated it's body to the cause and is currently being back peddled into a 10 squadron B.1, (a third will become a 214 squadron K.1). Other than the FP resin inner wings and intakes the rest of the tan resin components come from a mix of Terry Grey's parts and my own scratched casting.

DSC_0127_zps8niv08kd.jpg

DSC_0126_zps1yjbwate.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2016 at 10:36 AM, general melchett said:

Thanks chaps, very much appreciated. I'm glad you enjoyed the article hopefully most things were explained but if not please just ask, if I can help I will.

John, although the MB kit can be turned into a nice rendition this kit just makes things so much easier. I have a couple in the stash and these will donate their bodies to drastic surgery. One will definitely become the second prototype WB775 resplendent in it's Cerulean Blue. As you rightly point out a lot of work but a good basis for the conversion along with the DB/FlightPath resin B1 set...but definitely not an overnight project. The Airfix kit should be quite a straightforward conversion by comparison.

Another has donated it's body to the cause and is currently being back peddled into a 10 squadron B.1, (a third will become a 214 squadron K.1). Other than the FP resin inner wings and intakes the rest of the tan resin components come from a mix of Terry Grey's parts and my own scratched casting.

DSC_0127_zps8niv08kd.jpg

DSC_0126_zps1yjbwate.jpg

It virtually screams, "Hose me down with grey primer and wet sand me...."

Looks awesome!! A very unique shape in the skies, to be sure.

-d-

• Like 1

On 12/25/2016 at 1:29 AM, general melchett said:

Pete, ah good news the New Years Honours Melchett Foundation cheque must have gone through.....being a fellow Lincolnite you well understand the problem with the substrata surrounding the land beyond the Edge and the load bearing limitations of  the underlying granite bedrock.......once the chaps have finally finished far**ing around  at Waddington they will be coming over here en mass with the heavy lift gear in preparation of the task ahead.

Granite????  Oh dear your Lordship, Me thinks that Murphy and Murphy (Builders), Ltd have supplied the wrong information to you. Perchance to reclaim a not too inconsiderable higher tariff from you and thus, as such, denude you of funding for your intentions to induce a Victor based LMAF, (Lord Melchett's Air Force)!

IIRC that part of Lincolnshire is Mid-Jurassic on-shore oolites, limestones and occasional ironstones with secondary clays and fullerites. This overlays, in an angular unconformity, Ordovician to Silurian pelagic sediments that in turn onlap the Ediacarian volcano-metamorphic landscape basement. Eventually... you get to true metamorphic basement... So as it is all soft, (ask a metamorphic petrologist...), sedimentary, I would recommend getting further quotes. Those inventive chaps that built the Chunnel had a rather nifty boring device that would should could might  work.

Nice Victor! Definitely a bit of aviation pffoar! Looking forward to seeing the rest!

Christian, back in africa

P.S. If the LMAF is formed might I have permission to be considered for nth IC Ground Defence? Being an ex Rock ape and all...

• Like 1

Thanks fellas,

-D-, many's the time I've picked it up with a wad of wet and dry in one hand and paper towels in the other and said 'today's the day old chap' just to have the editor of AMW ring me up to say ''have you finished the so and so yet, pacy, pacy I want it by Friday''. Actually I just received the Eduard masking set for the Airfix kit which will be very handy for this project......

Ah Christian...now everything becomes clear...I wondered why Lady Lobelia Saxe-Coburg  von Melchett's  memorial cenotaph was slowly sinking into the Victory Garden and now listing at a dangerously precarious angle. The borough surveyor although the worse for a few glasses of pink gin assured me that the bedrock was 'pure granite guvner' 

IIRC that part of Lincolnshire is Mid-Jurassic on-shore oolites, limestones and occasional ironstones with secondary clays and fullerites. This overlays, in an angular unconformity, Ordovician to Silurian pelagic sediments that in turn onlap the Ediacarian volcano-metamorphic landscape basement. Eventually... you get to true metamorphic basement...

This is exactly what I thought  but he told me I was talking boulderdash and that I should leave oolites and Silurian pelagic sediments to someone who knows his gothite ooids from plagioclase feldspar, naturally I saw him off with a couple of rounds from the elephant gun and a good deal of shouting .......a metaphoric basement eh, well I'll look into it, I'll also have a look at getting hold of one of those Chunnel boring devices, looks like fun something for the mem to get to grips with....

Once the LMAF is up to full battle strength you will be the first to know, Darling could do with someone who can hold his own......

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello General!!

A great rendition of a really good kit.....

I have acquired a copy of the AMW article that you wrote regarding this build and am interested in sourcing a set of the Flightpath PE wheels that you used.

I am having trouble finding any.....would you mind giving me a little more information as to which "set" I should be looking for please?

Many thanks

Regards

Ian

• Like 1

Hello,Andy - Another masterclass from the General.A magnificent build and tribute to the majestic Victor.I admire and respect your modelling skills immensely and this latest work is no exception.

👏😉👍 All The Best,Paul.