1/72 - B-1B Lancer - by Modelcollect

172flogger

• 1 year later...

Designing a CAD model is like building a house. First the foundations are layed out (basic CAD where the geometry is set), then the walls, the roof, the windows, the doors (semi-detailed CAD where things like the landing gear are placed) and the inside (detailed CAD... panel lines, etc). Here the foundations appear to be problematic (engine nacelle cross-sectional evolution) but MC's in the process of adding the windows and doors (landing gear, Sniper pod, etc). A quick googling session would have provided the material to build a more solid foundation but it wasn't done apparently. Anyway. This model will please casual modellers and make Lancer enthusiasts cringe.

mcB1bMlgStrutsSpacing.jpg

mcB1bNacelleOvl.jpg

Using photos to design the basic CAD is very dangerous because focal distance varies and there'll always be some distortion.

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

And, so it begins!

Let's totally rubbish this kit already despite only having preliminary CADs and, no actual solid, real plastic in our hot sweaty paws!!

Still, that's one of the things about this site that I love 😉😂

John

For the record, there is a world of difference between "rubbishing" a not yet in hand but otherwise final kit, vs. posting thoughtful and specific criticisms of a preliminary rendering to note potentially major errors in fundamental shapes and spatial arrangements. I would respectfully suggest that if you can't distinguish between the two, perhaps the Rumourmonger forum is not the best place to spend your time.

Modelcollect has an unfortunate and well-documented past history of mangling major features of a U.S. bomber subject (their B-52 series). To the company's credit they did make an effort to correct the most egregious errors with the earliest B-52 release, but only after a great deal of entirely justifiable criticism - that was only possible after plastic was in hand, since they did not share any detailed modeling renders that might have shown the issues prior to release. I am quite certain that they would much prefer getting constructive criticism of their preliminary work over the prospect of retooling after another costly and very public flub.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CT7567 said:

To the company's credit they did make an effort to correct the most egregious errors with the earliest B-52 release, but only after a great deal of entirely justifiable criticism - that was only possible after plastic was in hand, since they did not share any detailed modeling renders that might have shown the issues prior to release. I am quite certain that they would much prefer getting constructive criticism of their preliminary work over the prospect of retooling after another costly and very public flub.

Yes but that's not good for the company. I assume that like many companies MC uses the services of a mould maker. If parts are revised a new tooling has to be produced and that has a cost. The kit is less profitable and the company has less cash to spend on future projects.

• Thanks 1

Not trying to trash the kit. I am well aware that these are just preliminary cad drawings. Still, I think it is something to bring to their attention so they can make any necessary corrections. While it is still easy to do so. Like I said before, I am very excited and optimistic about this kit coming out. 

• Like 2

Lets get this back on track and not trash the kit based on the CAD which can be tweaked numerous ways before we see any plastic, nor start a pitchfork mob based on anything we have seen before eh?

• Like 3

I've been wishing for a new B-1B 'Bone' for quite sometime.

Looking forward to this one B)

Although, it has been quite some time coming. Any news on a possible release date?

Edited by Smudge
added a bit more :-)

• 1 year later...

Some time has passed since the last CADs. I have spent some time searching for more current and updated renderings. But I haven't found any. I'm gonna interpret it from the positive side and say that that MC is working to correct the already mentioned problems.

Does anyone have current news?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Searching around for any signs of a new 1/72 B-1B and I found this topic. I'd completely forgotten about it :rolleyes:

Anyone heard anymore of it? 

Is any other manufacturer ever likely to do a 1/72 Bone? Given that nearly all the large Soviet types, including the 'Blackjack' are available, it does seem odd that no one has chosen to release a decent kit of this awesome aeroplane.

Trumpeter? Airfix? Revell? Hobbyboss? Please!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

There's already a Revell/Monogram kit...

Err, well yes, kind of. Isn't it just a rather ancient not very accurate (B-1A prototype based) sort of a kit that needs a large collection of resin upgrades from Barracuda to be any where near accurate? Airfix also box their Bone as a B-1B, but general consensus appears to be that it isn't.

http://scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&fkSECTION[]=Utensils&q=*&fkTYPEGROUP[]="Rockwell+B-1+Lancer"&fkSCALENORMALISED[]="1:00072"

On the plus side, there are quite a few nice decal sheets waiting for a decent kit :)

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 7:47 PM, IT_Man said:

Wonder if Academy might give it a go? The 144 one looks nice in-the-box, and their kits seem to be improving nicely year on year.

Having built the Academy 1/144 kit its an absolute beauty, can highly recommend it.

Eng 

• Like 1