Revell Enterprise TOS Lighting Advice Please

nheather

I know that there is a Revell Star Trek Enterpise (The Original Series) waiting under the tree for me.

Now I know it has it has its failing (over heavy scribing for example), but I'm going to build as is, no photo-etch costing 3x the price of the kit for me.

BUT I would like to light it, even with the knowledge that the basic kits cost more than the kit.

Again, not looking at the really fancy kits with pulsing engines, would like those but they are seriously expensive.

So I see basic kits which have static LEDs and maybe the odd flashing LED are around the £20 mark.  Looking on eBay as I've no idea  where else to look atamd there are two kits one from the UK and one from Germany that seem to have different approachs, one with many strip lights and one with one with fewer standard LEDs.  But there are little other details so not sure which to go for, or even something else.

Anyone bought any of these or done something similar.  Appreciate hearing your ideas.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I have a set on my webstore which is £65 for the Revell TOS Enterprise.  It gives you all the flashing LEDs on the saucer (top and bottom), red LEDs on the bridge, flashing LEDs to the side of the shuttle bay, rotating bussards and interior lights.  All fully wired so no soldering.  Comes with 2 control boards, 12V/5V Power Board and switch.

If you are happy doing the LEDs and wiring yourself I can supply the flashing & bussard control boards on their own with some instructions for £22.

Video of set here:

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.

gavingav - too much work, looking for a kit where someone has worked out the LED positions and colours

madmonk - nice but much more than I'm prepared to spend.

To give you an idea, the kit was £16 so don't want to spend more than £20. 

Skilled with a soldering iron and electronics so instructions and DIY wouldbe fine as an alternative to a kit.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

No problem, but your bits and pieces off eBay, don't use Maplins, would cost you more than my kit!!!!

for the rotating bussards I use 3 pair of LEDs and an ATtiny85 processor to fire them in a running sequence, each pair consists of a yellow and orange LED and are mounted Y, O, Y, O, Y and O.  In the centre of bussard I have fitted a Rainbow LED that has a constant supply to it and changes colour.  For the flashing LEDs I use another ATtiny85 to give the 2 flash rates, 1 sec on 1 off for the saucer and 0.3 on 0.3 off for the shuttle.

The interior lights are 12V Warm White strip LEDs cut to length to suit.

the ATtiny processors and LEDs run off 5V and I use a 12V/5V DC converter.

If I can help at all just shout!

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

You can get knock-off Arduino boards from Amazon/Ebay for a fiver, or the Nano for £2.50.

There are plenty of sites out there to help with the programming side of things, just cut and paste most of it. ;)

I’ve just knocked up a basic set up to try to stuff inside a 1/72 Galactica Viper.

http://vid77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/LotusArenco/flashenblinken3.mp4

I'll swap the large LEDs for some smaller surface mount ones and hope it'll fit.

Mart

• 7 months later...

Hi, I'm new to this site and just read the post by madmonk, I was wondering if it is possible to send the how to on the rotating bussards, I have looked high and low for them and can only find them in the US for eye watering amounts including postage and import duties.

hopefully gaz.

On my build for "rotating" bussards I used these these, although the seller is away at the moment I am sure you can find alternate sources 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-LED-Lights-Kit-Strobe-Flash-Effects-4-Yellow-LEDs-3-5-or-10-mm/281812007810?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

These have multiple functions (controlled by a button on the PCB) including flashing the LEDs in sequence left to right or vice versa 

And with care these will fit inside the engine nacelle. 

I drilled 4 holes at the 12, 3 , 6, 9  o'clock positions and 1 hole in the centre of the engine "bulkhead" disk (the kit part)

And inserted an LED from the above around the holes at the edges and a separate colour changing LED in the centre hole. 

As the LEDs are now arranged in a circular pattern the "left to right" function now gives the effect of rotation and the colour changing LED adds to the engine effect :) 

PS if you have one PCB going "left to right" and the other one going "right to left" you can have each engine spinning in opposite directions :) 

PPS BUT make sure you don't press the button on the PCB when closing up the engines as this will change the  program, as I did :swear: