1/32 Italeri Sabre Jet F86-F

Background:

The North American F-86 Sabre, sometimes called the Sabrejet, was a transonic jet fighter aircraft. Produced by North American Aviation, the Sabre is best known as the United States' first swept wing fighter that could counter the similarly-winged Soviet MiG-15 in high-speed dogfights over the skies of the Korean War (1950–1953). Considered one of the best and most important fighter aircraft in that war, the F-86 is also rated highly in comparison with fighters of other eras. Although it was developed in the late 1940s and was outdated by the end of the '50s, the Sabre proved versatile and adaptable, and continued as a front-line fighter in numerous air forces until the last active operational examples were retired by the Bolivian Air Force in 1994.

Its success led to an extended production run of more than 7,800 aircraft between 1949 and 1956, in the United States, Japan and Italy. Variants were built in Canada and Australia. The Canadair Sabre added another 1,815 airframes, and the significantly redesigned CAC Sabre (sometimes known as the Avon Sabre or CAC CA-27), had a production run of 112. The Sabre was by far the most-produced Western jet fighter, with total production of all variants at 9,860 units.

F-86F

Uprated engine and larger "6–3" wing without leading edge slats, 2,239 built; North American model NA-172 (F-86F-1 through F-15 blocks), NA-176 (F-86F-20 and −25 blocks), NA-191 (F-86F-30 and −35 blocks), NA-193 (F-86F-26 block), NA-202 (F-86F-35 block), NA-227 (first two orders of F-86F-40 blocks comprising 280 aircraft that reverted to leading edge wing slats of an improved design), NA-231 (70 in third F-40 block order), NA-238 (110 in fourth F-40 block order), and NA-256 (120 in final F-40 block order); 300 additional airframes in this series assembled by Mitsubishi in Japan for Japanese Air Self-Defense Force. Sabre Fs had much improved high-speed agility, coupled with a higher landing speed of over 145 mph (233 km/h). The F-35 block had provisions for a new task: the nuclear tactical attack with one of the new small "nukes" ("second generation" nuclear ordnance). The F-40 had a new slatted wing, with a slight decrease of speed, but also a much better agility at high and low speed with a landing speed reduced to 124 mph (200 km/h). The USAF upgraded many of previous F versions to the F-40 standard.

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_F-86_Sabre

• Kit Manufacture: Italeri.
  • Scale: 1/32.
  • Type: Sabre Jet F86-F
  • Extras used: Aires cockpit ans wheel well sets..
  • Paints and colours used: Primer was black Stynylrez. Paints used were AK extreme metal black base, aluminium, dark aluminium and jet exhaust. Tamiya XF-7, XF-69 and Vallejo interior green 71.010.
  • Weathering: Flory Dark dirt clay wash.

hZChkxP.jpg?3

C2zzs6u.jpg?2

MBJFrai.jpg?1

QxsNFOQ.jpg?2

x0jTn6g.jpg?2

IXRkpvZ.jpg?1

QCIH6Hm.jpg?1

spy7iw3.jpg?1

cGrKIge.jpg?1

K8fvRbd.jpg?1

I8wLrGE.jpg?1

7RPnJkJ.jpg?1

lF591E3.jpg?1

4ADQS0M.jpg?1

HKOx4TQ.jpg?1

Sm8qxjI.jpg?1

l9XtXoa.jpg?1

OkpTchZ.jpg

• Like 22

A fitting tribute to a great fighter pilot, Col. Woodrow Wilmot, who commanded the 8th FBG, whose Sabre this is. I had the thrill of sitting in this very Sabre when I was eight years old; my Dad was the group adjutant at that time, and I have a color slide of me sitting in Miss Teena with Col. Wilmot's helmet on, which was painted in the three colors of the 8th's squadrons, at an Armed Forces Day display at Itazuke AFB. We visited him and his family in Florida a few times in  the 60's, and he taught me to water ski! He was mentioned in Gabreski's autobiography as the instructor who taught him how to be a fighter pilot. Sorry for the ramble, but your model brought back a lot of memories for me. I have the 1/48 Hasegawa and Academy kits, and will also be doing Woody's airplane! Thanks for the inspiration.

BTW, a very nice build!

Mike

• Like 1