Falklands Sea Harrier - La Muerta Negra

Pappy

I’ve just started this kit. I read Calum’s build and have now seen yours - now a bit disheartened by the work ahead!! 
I’m making a model for a good friend of mine, of the one he was shot down in over Gorazde in 1994. Amongst many other challenges, I’m trying to establish the best paint to use for the correct colour scheme  during that conflict....

Beautiful build and thank you for picking out the various errors as well as the improvements that can be made.

On 3/3/2020 at 6:46 PM, paj66 said:

I’ve just started this kit. I read Calum’s build and have now seen yours - now a bit disheartened by the work ahead!! 
I’m making a model for a good friend of mine, of the one he was shot down in over Gorazde in 1994. Amongst many other challenges, I’m trying to establish the best paint to use for the correct colour scheme  during that conflict....

Beautiful build and thank you for picking out the various errors as well as the improvements that can be made.

G'day,

It is actually a very good kit, and detail wise much better than the Tamiya or Airfix offering.

The Airfix kit has a good shape but lacks recessed panel lines and the fit is not so good either. The Kientic kit does have a few traps, hopefully between Calum's build and mine, you canm be prepared for the issues. The wing underside seam was probably the most problematic fit issue, the remaining issues relate to detail corrections which is a matter of personal taste and abaility.

I am looking forward to (hopefully) the release of the GR.3 variant which is the one I really, really wanted all along. Hopefully, Kinetic will correct some of the shortcomings by then  as there will be a large degree of commonality sprue wise between the FRS.1 and the GR.3. Hopefully they will realise the GR.3 has different wing pylons, speed brake etc.

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

SHARs were overall satin Dark Sea Grey at that time with Light Aircraft Grey inside the intakes. Being a brush-painting traditionalist, I always use Humbrol enamels thinned 10% and with a dash of white added for scale effect. For the final satin varnish coat, Vallejo acrylic.

Hope that helps 

Nick

• 4 months later...

I too have just started building this  - one glearing thing has come to me  by reading this excellent build  -  on the front seam of the wing join behind the canopy, I always thought  the gap  either side  of the center small square  piece  was a design fault  (so I filled my mine with putty and sanded smooth)   I didn't know they were to take the stubs of the two arials that  dissapear  under the canopy when it pushed back into its open position.☹️

Erk.

19 hours ago, ERK said:

I too have just started building this  - one glearing thing has come to me  by reading this excellent build  -  on the front seam of the wing join behind the canopy, I always thought  the gap  either side  of the center small square  piece  was a design fault  (so I filled my mine with putty and sanded smooth)   I didn't know they were to take the stubs of the two arials that  dissapear  under the canopy when it pushed back into its open position.☹️

Erk.

G'day Erk,

It sounds recoverable, why not just cut or sand off the locating pegs underneath each antenna and just butt-glue in place? If you use a slow setting glue you should have a little working time to ensure they are both straight and aligned

cheers,

Pappy

1 hour ago, Pappy said:

G'day Erk,

It sounds recoverable, why not just cut or sand off the locating pegs underneath each antenna and just butt-glue in place? If you use a slow setting glue you should have a little working time to ensure they are both straight and aligned

cheers,

Pappy

Thank you Pappy,  yep thats just what I did  - I sat them both in a dab of CA, seems to have done the trick   - 

Erk.spacer.png

Edited by ERK
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 26/08/2017 at 08:19, Pappy said:

You are very welcome Martian

Glad you are all enjoying the build,

Today's update,

All the fiddly bits done

DSCN4594_zpsywebh25z.jpg

DSCN4596_zpsyidgm01k.jpg

DSCN4598_zpsc5t31z3i.jpg

DSCN4601_zps9cmmxjos.jpg

Better pics when I get the chance

Pappy

Pappy, what an incredible piece or art you did with the SHAR!  Outstanding!  I did the same kit a few months ago... and tried my best!  But the details in yours are stunning.  Do you post the final photos in other section? I can't find any related post with your SHAR

Best regards from Chile! Cris.

PS: to the banned argentinian "amigo", yes, we chileans speak the most intricate spanish in Latin America, by far (intonation and pronunciation). Peruvians and Colombians, the best. 

On 30/08/2017 at 19:31, NG899 said:

Hi Pappy,  the yaw vane swivels freely on top of the pylon so it always points into wind.  So, as Bootneck says, if parked and the wind across the deck is coming from the stern, then the vane could be pointing as is.  I would say that would have been a rare occurrence as during ops the ships would be moving forward pretty constantly to avoid being a sitting target and to avoid the SHARs having to do crosswind vertical landings wherever possible.  Harriers are very delicate in the hover in high crosswinds, which is why the yaw vane was invented for them, to allow the pilot to keep the jet pointed into wind. 

Hi Bootneck, an interesting painting of Hermes; those two must have been very low on fuel to approach from there.  Yes, cross-deck landings (i.e. 90-degrees across the deck, aiming for just ahead of the flyco in the island or aft of the island - where no aircraft were parked (not as shown), were used when high crosswinds made a normal bow-facing landing impractical for SHARs.  The normal approach, as I'm sure you know, was parallel to the carrier's port side over the sea, hover level with mid-ships where the effects of roll/pitch are minimal, then transition over the deck and get it down! 

SHARs would not have taken off loaded on ops during Op Corporate without using the ski-jump.  The fleet was kept well away from the islands, so aircraft on CAP had a fair haul to station and a vertical take-off would have needed a lot of fuel, resulting in minimal time over the islands for the effort expended of getting two winders there.  Without the ski-jump a stern take-off would have resulted in a ditching as the aircraft would not have reached flying speed for the wings to work and, without the upward trajectory, even a hit to full down nozzles by the pilot would not have enabled a fully loaded SHAR to avoid the briny beyond the stern.  That's why all the Invincible class plus Hermes had ski jumps fitted in the first place, to facilitate the rolling short take-off getting them airborne rather than waterborne.

Dinner calls!  Cheers for now.

Nick

Great bit of info Nick

6 hours ago, Cris Garcia said:

Pappy, what an incredible piece or art you did with the SHAR!  Outstanding!  I did the same kit a few months ago... and tried my best!  But the details in yours are stunning.  Do you post the final photos in other section? I can't find any related post with your SHAR

Best regards from Chile! Cris.

PS: to the banned argentinian "amigo", yes, we chileans speak the most intricate spanish in Latin America, by far (intonation and pronunciation). Peruvians and Colombians, the best. 

G'day Chris,

Thanks very much, you are very kind. I don't think I did as I never got around to finishing the base, one day. 

As for Uncle, he is not banned but I do find his written accent annoying at times. To be clear, I am not mocking his english as a non-native speaker, I am quite happy to make allowances for those who speak english as a second, (or even third, fourth etc.) language, I wish I could speak multiple languages and his english would be far superior to my non-existent spanish, but when he chooses to talk in babble I find it grating, especially when he can communicate perfectly well when replying to others.

All the best,

Pappy

• Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 16:39, Pappy said:

G'day Chris,

Thanks very much, you are very kind. I don't think I did as I never got around to finishing the base, one day. 

As for Uncle, he is not banned but I do find his written accent annoying at times. To be clear, I am not mocking his english as a non-native speaker, I am quite happy to make allowances for those who speak english as a second, (or even third, fourth etc.) language, I wish I could speak multiple languages and his english would be far superior to my non-existent spanish, but when he chooses to talk in babble I find it grating, especially when he can communicate perfectly well when replying to others.

All the best,

Pappy

Well, I can wait a little more to see those final photos! 😉

Thanks again, abrazo! 

On 12/11/2020 at 16:39, Pappy said:

As for Uncle, he is not banned

He is, his profile says "banned" in big letters.

How does the kit fit together? I would like to buy a Harrier for my 1982 collection (currently I have an A-4P and a Canberra).

5 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

He is, his profile says "banned" in big letters.

How does the kit fit together? I would like to buy a Harrier for my 1982 collection (currently I have an A-4P and a Canberra).

Oh, I didn't know that, I wonder who he upset?

As for how the kit fits together, I am sure that you will find the answer in the preceding pages but basically, it does not fall together but it does fit well, you will need to do some work but it looks good OOB, even better with extra details. Don't waste money on decals, the kit ones are awesome

3 hours ago, Tojo72 said:

This one looks real good lots of great detail.Love the "Sharkey Ward" looking figure.Whose plane is it anyway?

I am not sure I understand the question Tojo?

21 minutes ago, Tojo72 said:

Does it represent any one pilots plane from the war,names,kill markings, or the like

Aaah gotcha,

Well the pilots don't get their own jet, even if a jet has a pilot's name it doesn't mean that it is only flown by that pilot. Also. during operations, it is typical for units to tone down even remove or paint over pilot names and unit insignia, pilots will also remove unit badges and name badges from their flightsuits as well. The jet I have made was flown by 'Sharkey' Ward and other pilots from 800SQN embarked upon HMS Invincible during the war. Most people would refer to it as Sharkey's jet but the reality was a pilot flew whatever jet was available at the time.

A Quick google search would get you plenty more detailed info,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Pappy - hope you’re well and enjoying building the newly released GR3!

So my build is progressing and I’m looking at assembling the wings. I was watching a GR3 online build the other day and the advice was to sand to shape the outer tip of the lower wings so they didn’t overlap. Thing is, the way that section of the wing is moulded looks very deliberate, not a moulding error. That said, all the reference photos I see, that section is indeed flush. What’s your take?

Also, how did you resolve the gap between the aileron hinges and the ailerons eventually?

All the best

Patrick

On 3/3/2020 at 9:51 PM, NG899 said:

SHARs were overall satin Dark Sea Grey at that time with Light Aircraft Grey inside the intakes. Being a brush-painting traditionalist, I always use Humbrol enamels thinned 10% and with a dash of white added for scale effect. For the final satin varnish coat, Vallejo acrylic.

Hope that helps 

Nick

Nick - thanks for this - much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Pappy changed the title to Falklands Sea Harrier - La Muerta Negra
  • 10 months later...
On 1/28/2021 at 11:03 PM, Biggles87 said:

I hadn't realised that this was still going, it's dropped off my ' Content I post in ' so I'd better go back a few pages and catch up;

John

G'day John,

I was intending on doing a deck scene but lost interets however, afyer receiving some great info from NG, I may have to revisit the idea,

cheers,

Pappy