Falklands Sea Harrier - La Muerta Negra

Pappy

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

"I am somewhat offended. For the second time of asking, are you modelling the aircraft associated with Sharkey Ward? :winkgrin:

Well, ain't those sentences simply enuf to have understood whut me was goin' on 'bout...? :huh: Sure Melchie wouldn't a needed that... Bing translation thingy, for starters. :nodding:

Yeh, he wouldn't a.

Oh, 'n' me's nay "somewhut" offended... Me's very much offended. Ya cruel. Yeh, ya're. :crying: Me's such a nice fella who takes a lota pleasure helpin' out 'em Brit tourists everytime me's got the chance. Come to think of it, strange thing thay they could always understand me 'n' ask me to come another day take 'em sightseein' 'n' help 'em run some errands down here, y'know? :hmmm:Methinks... They use to think me's Aussie 'n' all... :rofl:  

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

@Uncle: I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that English is not your 1st language and must admire your enthusiasm but I for one would probably find it easier to understand if you wrote in Spanish (a language in which I recognise maybe 10 words). I fear that your attempt to start a new language based loosely on English is having limited success in this thread... Those bits of your posts that I can work out seem to demonstrate a great attention to detail.

Olvidate, Kirk... El Castellano que se (habla y) escribe en Argentina es bien distinto al que pudiste haber escuchado alguna vez en España (o de un español); o inclusive, es distinto al de los países de América Latina. No creo que entiendas algo de lo que te acabo de escribir acá, ni que fuera permitido en este foro postear mensajes que no sean en inglés.

Me's sad now. Yeh, me is.    

3 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Olvidate, Kirk... El Castellano que se (habla y) escribe en Argentina es bien distinto al que pudiste haber escuchado alguna vez en España (o de un español); o inclusive, es distinto al de los países de América Latina. No creo que entiendas algo de lo que te acabo de escribir acá, ni que fuera permitido en este foro postear mensajes que no sean en inglés.

OOh it is different isn't it? - but i get the jiste me old Pampas - and you are right the Mods do like us to speak English ( or some form of it LOL) here.

Just out of interest - which country in South America has the most Castillan-Spanish Spanish then, and which the least?

I don't know if Pappy's stated that he's doing Sharky's SHAR or not. I'm doing XZ457 which was Hermes based and have just spent a happy hour trying to replicate the rather tatty LAU-7 rails on said beast.

Cheers

Jonners

12 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

See, I like that. Cogent, to the point.

You're right that I don't know the variations of Spanish spoken in Latin America. I do recognise that your snippet above is made of sentences that seek to communicate clearly...

Me is struggling wid de poin' of de confusin' patois-fing doh. Mebbe use is lookin' to work in code-breakin?

K

Edited by Kirk

7 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

OOh it is different isn't it?

Just out of interest - which country in South America has the most Castillan-Spanish Spanish then, and which the least?

Yeh, it's quite different. Used to try 'n' teach Spanish to some sheilas which came down here on an exchange programme sometimes; they seldom get it 'cause they are used to the language they heard in Spain.

It's hard to name a country in South America which had the most Castillan-Spanish sound of the language; perhaps Perú, Colombia, Ecuador or Venezuela (only that they've got this strange singin' on 'em pronunciation that we don't have down here). Sure as hell, Mexico, but that ain't South America.

The least? That'd be the 'Zilians for sure. :bleh:  Nay, seriously; it's halfways between we, Argentineans 'n' Uruguayans. A completely different cadence 'n' intonation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Yeh, it's quite different. Used to try 'n' teach Spanish to some sheilas which came down here on an exchange programme sometimes; they seldom get it 'cause they are used to the language they heard in Spain.

It's hard to name a country in South America which had the most Castillan-Spanish sound of the language; perhaps Perú, Colombia, Ecuador or Venezuela (only that they've got this strange singin' on 'em pronunciation that we don't have down here). Sure as hell, Mexico, but that ain't South America.

The least? That'd be the 'Zilians for sure. :bleh:  Nay, seriously; it's halfways between we, Argentineans 'n' Uruguayans. A completely different cadence 'n' intonation.

Now that wasn't too hard now was it?

7 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Well, ain't those sentences simply enuf to have understood whut me was goin' on 'bout...? :huh: Sure Melchie wouldn't a needed that... Bing translation thingy, for starters. :nodding:

Yeh, he wouldn't a.

Oh, 'n' me's nay "somewhut" offended... Me's very much offended. Ya cruel. Yeh, ya're. :crying: Me's such a nice fella who takes a lota pleasure helpin' out 'em Brit tourists everytime me's got the chance. Come to think of it, strange thing thay they could always understand me 'n' ask me to come another day take 'em sightseein' 'n' help 'em run some errands down here, y'know? :hmmm:Methinks... They use to think me's Aussie 'n' all... :rofl:  

That was easier to understand than your previous replies.

Ask me a question in a reasonable approximation of English and I will happily answer, otherwise I will not waste my time reading your posts,

Pappy

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pappy said:

Ask me a question in a reasonable approximation of English and I will happily answer, otherwise I will not waste my time reading your posts,

Hey, Pappster? Whassap, my mate?

Y'know, FYI, for many years me used to work the anti-shark nets along 'em Gold Coast durin' 'em summer season; ne'er have people ever had any troubles gettin' my English, on 'em contrary, so me can't fathom an Aussie like ye nay bein' able to get my written English. I'm a certificated Cambridge Advanced English, that's why me was elegible to work in Queensland/New South Wales. Ne'er had I any trouble understandin' 'em Aussies either (even tho there was this bloke I'd work with to whom sometimes I needed to translate English to his own kinda language). :lol: Cool fella; I can understand him not bein' able to speak his own language.

I'm Argentinean, 'n' been round 'em world; my most favourite people in 'em world are the Aussie, so yer havin' mocked me 'bout 'em language usage has R*E*A*L killed me, ya hear? Oh, me still hurt... :crying: Yeh, me does.

Me's mates with John Eales, Lote Tuqiri & Tatafu Polota Nau, if ya know who those are.

Kylie Minogue 'n' the frontman in Airbourne, too.   

G'day people,

Moving forwards once again, the wing seams have been tamed and only some minor re-scribing still to be carried out,

DSCN4037_zpsctl8joj9.jpg

DSCN4036_zpskwkaqa3w.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I think you have this kit on the run now Pappy!

Martian

Well, I can see light at the end of the tunnel (I just hope it is not another train)

7 hours ago, nzdavidh said:

Inspiring stuff Pappy, but God has this thread dented my enthusiasm for giving this a crack, the fit seems extremely ordinary in so many places 

Well, it is basically a good kit (and arguably the most accurate SHAR available for now) but like all kits, it has issues. Some of these are with the kit design i.e. the rear RCV panel, and others are of my own making, the main wing underside gap for example. None of these have proved to be insurmountable, they only require a little work to correct. Issues regarding incorrect or missing kit details can be ignored depending on your care factor for such things. Some builders will happily ignore things and move on, they won't influence how the kit goes together. The biggest fit issue I have had so far seems to be the main wing and I think that I will shoulder the blame for that one,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pappy said:

Well, I can see light at the end of the tunnel (I just hope it is not another train)

Never mind, if it is you will just have to get squished and not worry about the kit any more.

Martian the Compassionate

10 hours ago, nzdavidh said:

Inspiring stuff Pappy, but God has this thread dented my enthusiasm for giving this a crack, the fit seems extremely ordinary in so many places 

3 hours ago, Pappy said:

Well, it is basically a good kit (and arguably the most accurate SHAR available for now) but like all kits, it has issues. Some of these are with the kit design i.e. the rear RCV panel, and others are of my own making, the main wing underside gap for example. None of these have proved to be insurmountable, they only require a little work to correct. Issues regarding incorrect or missing kit details can be ignored depending on your care factor for such things. Some builders will happily ignore things and move on, they won't influence how the kit goes together. The biggest fit issue I have had so far seems to be the main wing and I think that I will shoulder the blame for that one,

cheers,

Pappy

I agree with Pappy. Although it's no Tamiya kit it's also not particularity bad, it just takes a bit of patience  and  some dry fitting to get  a reasonable result. 

Keep up the good work Pappy, you're doing a fine job. :)

I've just put up what follows on another SHAR thread on this forum; apologies for repetition.

For those in doubt about the Kinetic kits I'd refer you to the following comments by a late friend of mine, Steve Hague, from when the Harrier SIG built thirty (yes, 30!) 1:48th scale Airfix FA.2s for 899 Naval Air Squadron's decommissioning dinner in March 2005...  (At that time the Airfix kit was the only game in town.)

Cheers

Nick

"Let's build an Airfix SHAR FA2... Suitable only for well-adjusted adults who are not prone to bouts of unrestrained rage, swearing or self-harm.  A full command of the builder's own language and vocabulary would be useful to alleviate the monotony of using the same choice expressions over and over again, especially when applying the decals.  It is recommended that the builder takes regular breaks to avoid stress build-up, as well as allowing occasional exposure to natural light as this model may take a while.  This model is not designed for flight and has not been stressed for sudden impact with walls or floor.  Caveat emptor...!       

Might we also take the opportunity to recommend some useful products which might come in handy when making this kit.

Humbrol Model Filler                  One large tube per kit should suffice - apply kit to filler, rather than vice versa

Humbrol Medium Sea Grey       Available in a variety of shades - including dark green in a tin labelled 165 it seems

Wet & Dry - various grades       As much as you can carry, maybe more

Book of Eastern Meditation       To bang your head on

Prozac - Extra Strong                 As much as you can 'score' locally

Telephone no. for Samaritans   Just in case it’s all  too much......!"  Frequent calls may be needed.

Remembering that we are model-makers and, having built 14 Airfix SHAR FRS.1s/FA.2s and 2 GR.3s, all I can say is - "Thank goodness for Kinetic!"  Cheers, Nick

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, NG899 said:

Keep up the good work Pappy, you're doing a fine job. :)

I've just put up what follows on another SHAR thread on this forum; apologies for repetition.

For those in doubt about the Kinetic kits I'd refer you to the following comments by a late friend of mine, Steve Hague, from when the Harrier SIG built thirty (yes, 30!) 1:48th scale Airfix FA.2s for 899 Naval Air Squadron's decommissioning dinner in March 2005...  (At that time the Airfix kit was the only game in town.)

Cheers

Nick

"Let's build an Airfix SHAR FA2... Suitable only for well-adjusted adults who are not prone to bouts of unrestrained rage, swearing or self-harm.  A full command of the builder's own language and vocabulary would be useful to alleviate the monotony of using the same choice expressions over and over again, especially when applying the decals.  It is recommended that the builder takes regular breaks to avoid stress build-up, as well as allowing occasional exposure to natural light as this model may take a while.  This model is not designed for flight and has not been stressed for sudden impact with walls or floor.  Caveat emptor...!       

Might we also take the opportunity to recommend some useful products which might come in handy when making this kit.

Humbrol Model Filler                  One large tube per kit should suffice - apply kit to filler, rather than vice versa

Humbrol Medium Sea Grey       Available in a variety of shades - including dark green in a tin labelled 165 it seems

Wet & Dry - various grades       As much as you can carry, maybe more

Book of Eastern Meditation       To bang your head on

Prozac - Extra Strong                 As much as you can 'score' locally

Telephone no. for Samaritans   Just in case it’s all  too much......!"  Frequent calls may be needed.

Remembering that we are model-makers and, having built 14 Airfix SHAR FRS.1s/FA.2s and 2 GR.3s, all I can say is - "Thank goodness for Kinetic!"  Cheers, Nick

What he said,

G'day people,

Following Jonners suggestion, the pitot assembly was revisited. The pitot assembly is installed into a slot in the upper fuselage. Unmodified, the assembly will sit a bit high. The real pitot assembly also fair smoothly into the fuselage. I deepened the slot but not enough as there was still a slight gap between the end of the pitot tube  and fuselage. The remedy was simple, I cut a wedge from some sprue that approximated the pitot diameter and sanded to shape.

c86cf09b-51ad-43f8-bb7f-d52551ff05c6_zps

DSCN4052_zps1tqgmncg.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

G'day people,

Here are some pics of the kit ejection seat going together,

First job was to tidy up the seam that passes through the headbox,

DSCN3672_zps0m94wifz.jpg

Next up the addition of some of the PE belts as well as some additional details that were missing

DSCN3673_zpsi3tz2j7x.jpg

DSCN3674_zpsjix2reqd.jpg

DSCN3675_zpsoj06cc1x.jpg

DSCN3698_zpsg79z9w5i.jpg

DSCN3699_zpsgsgfrija.jpg

Next up , a splash of paint to see what we are dealing with.

I do not like the pre-painted PE belts. Apart from not getting the colours right, the paint tends to flake off if you bend the belts too much. I prefer to brush paint them instead.

DSCN3705_zpssojzf4bc.jpg

DSCN3706_zpsnfjflfj2.jpg

DSCN4112_zpsfb17chui.jpg

DSCN4113_zpsnptn4lsq.jpg

And finally a quick test fit,

DSCN4114_zpsuzrml5qz.jpg

DSCN4115_zps7d4x3wxt.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 16

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You have done a really nice job on that seat, I may have to rethink my preference for painted belts. :hmmm:

Martian

G'day Martian, I think that the panted belts looked very pretty, but the stitching is just too prominent and the colours were just wrong. I think that the process of colour matching needs more work too as the greys tend to look blue and the greens are not very dense.

4 hours ago, Gary West said:

Love seeing someone put some thought and effort into something rather than pay out for just another extra - the seat looks great!

G'day Gary, I agree.

We buy kits and then some of use feel the need to correct errors. This can involve aftermarket stuff, so we buy more stuff. It is unfortunate when the aftermarket that you buy also needs correcting! I think some people think of aftermarket stuff as a magic bullet, because the detail presented exceeds their ability and therefore it must be accurate and due to the expense do not wish to fiddle with it. If I was to build this jet in flight, I doubt I would bother with any cockpit PE and the kit seat would be used.

3 hours ago, Kirk said:

Agree - fantastic work on the seat!

Thanks very much Kirk.

G'day people,

The kit seat is pretty good as presented, I just added the belt stowage devices on the head box as well as beefing up some of the main beam details like the drogue gun and BRU unit plus some trip rods. I still need to add the 'bowyangs' (leg restraint lines) but these will be added at the end once the seat is installed into the cockpit.

The PE set included some pre-painted placards for the head box which look nice. Calum (A4'sfor eva) has pointed that the kit decal sheet includes stencils for the head box which are not mentioned in the instructions. This is annoying as I would have preferred to use these instead of the PE placards as they look flatter. it may not be too late though,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

G'day people,

A little more progress with this one. I have spent today adding the various aerials. The kinetic instructions are a little vague with the precise location of some of these antennas as not all of them are located centrally.

DSCN4153_zps2b91oqcy.jpg

DSCN4154_zpst2goujpi.jpg

I also noticed that there is an extra grille on the tail fairing that was obliterated during the sanding process. Luckily, I had a spare circular PE mesh part so that was pressed into service

DSCN4155_zpsmtw0kp8h.jpg

cheers

Pappy

• Like 6

Looking pretty damned good Pappy.

Are you going to have the main gear bay doors closed? ( the usual position for a parked up harrier i believe). If you are - do yourself a favour and fit them now- because on mine the fit is Megaton Range rubbish. I've just joined my 2 doors together, having tried to fit them individually closed - which almost resulted in my model going for a one way test flight against the wall.  I will now make good and drop them in using a couple of bits of sprue as stout pillars for them to sit on.

Good luck, and bravo!

Jonners

3 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Looking pretty damned good Pappy.

Are you going to have the main gear bay doors closed? ( the usual position for a parked up harrier i believe). If you are - do yourself a favour and fit them now- because on mine the fit is Megaton Range rubbish. I've just joined my 2 doors together, having tried to fit them individually closed - which almost resulted in my model going for a one way test flight against the wall.  I will now make good and drop them in using a couple of bits of sprue as stout pillars for them to sit on.

Good luck, and bravo!

Jonners

Jonners,

The harrier main gear doors when "closed" on the ground sagged down a couple of inches and very rarely level with each other. You pushed them up a little bit to release the catch to open them so you could complete checks  in the U/C bay and then pushed them up again to lock them into position.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

49 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Jonners,

The harrier main gear doors when "closed" on the ground sagged down a couple of inches and very rarely level with each other. You pushed them up a little bit to release the catch to open them so you could complete checks  in the U/C bay and then pushed them up again to lock them into position.

Selwyn

well they don't on mine now!!! :)  But thanks for the making me aware of that.

Jonners