THE SOUND OF THUNDER-M109G IN VIETNAM - FINISHED

11 hours ago, Rob 1 said:

I've just had another look at this and think it looks great, and is very well finished - is there a build log for this? Would you be able to advise what main paint colour reference you used for the main colour?

I'm particularly interested as I'm planning on building some U.S. army vehicles/armour from the Vietnam conflict in the new year, so am picking up various tips on the way.

Thank you for your kind words, yep, there is a log with its construction and painting, I usually include a link with the WIP in the RTI, and vice versa, but unfortunately, PHOTOBUCKET, I screwed up the issue ... and I was left without many photos posted ...

This was one of the affected models, I do not know if you have seen your WIP, but you will only see the kitten (I hope that saying "niceties" to Photobucket).

If you are really interested, I could re-upload the photos to Imgur (now I use this one), because I have the photos in my HD, although maybe not 100% correct when adjusting the photo packs with the successive updates in the topic.

The main color that I used is one of those that came in the pack of AK, 4010 (3 jars), specifically the AK 4011 Us Army Olive Drab.

You know, if you're interested, give me a touch, and as soon as I can, I'll start to re-upload photos to your WIP.

Cheers Rob :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
1 hour ago, witjas4 said:

Very nice, the tracks are just brilliant.

Regards

Many thanks for your kind words, i'm glad you like it, the tracks gave me additional problems, because they split in some places, but I could fix them, anyway, I have thought about later changing them for a type "link to link".

Cheers mate 👍

• 11 months later...
On 06/10/2019 at 16:41, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Oh yes! Excellent work, Francis! :like: Especially the weathering and these stunning rusty tracks!!

Many thanks for your kind comments, i'm glad you like it. 

One of these days I will have to change them for others, because I had problems with these, as I think I commented on the WIP, but I don't know if I will be able, because I have too many kits in the stash ...
Cheers Nikolay.👍

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Really like the track work and mud/dirt on lower portion of tank Francis, superbly done as usual!

Nice to see an SPG subject too.

All the best,

R.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2020 at 19:32, Ceithearn said:

Really like the track work and mud/dirt on lower portion of tank Francis, superbly done as usual!

Nice to see an SPG subject too.

All the best,

R.

Hi R.

many thanks for your like and kid words, i'm glad you like it.

I have to do more SPG, there are very nice models too.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• 8 months later...
On 02/03/2021 at 11:42, David Wallace said:

Thats a brilliant job Francis. I love the subtle weathering which is something i tried on the FV432 Mk1. Yeah great job 👏👏

Hi David.

Many thanks for your like and kind words, i'm glad you like it. 

This is another "guinea pig" that I had in my stash for more than 20 years, and it really helped me to catch up on my return to the hobby.
That is, one of the first that I finished and did not go to the bin or spare parts box, but with the passage of these years (2017 to 21) and within my new stage, I have been learning techniques, and probably would have done something different I guess better of course ... lol
Cheers and TC
Francis. 👍

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2021 at 20:23, Сергей Никитин said:

Hi, Francis!
Great job!
I really liked this weathering

Hi Sergey,

Many thanks for your like and kind comment, i'm glad you like it.

This model was still one of my first to return to the hobby after more than 20 years, now I imagine that I would have done something different (and I hope better ... lol)
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• 3 months later...
On 12/23/2016 at 11:48 AM, FrancisGL said:

Hi Pals,

I finish working with this model. I have seen that it is a fairly simple kit, without major problems for assembly, with acceptable instructions. As a bonus, you can make several versions, just before the Paladin appears.

Although this is an old kit, modestly I think that you could still get a good result, (I am reasonably happy with it), the only thing that gave me headaches were the main pieces of the turret and helmet, as they were crooked , I imagine that by the passage of time, and the worst, the tracks, which when they were already in place, split, where the hardest (in the curve), although I was able to rectify it quite well.

I have chosen to make a version in Vietnam, because although the kit does not bring that option, I saw some photos (which I include) about this, I liked it a lot.

Thanks to my box of spare parts, it was not a problem.

I thank as always all fellows of the forum who have accompanied me in the assembly process and encouraged me with their comments to improve / continue.

I include a link to the WIP section, in case someone is interested in seeing the post.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas! (If possible ... lol) :santa:

mcbrMUd.jpg

sAO3W46.jpg

l3japOc.jpg

PXsXG5h.jpg

DQKcytk.jpg

sJm2CCr.jpg

uWeURYu.jpg

yoEgv6p.jpg

plHkhRq.jpg

mjvT0l1.jpg

M5HjLgV.jpg

SuYiQrB.jpg

VPhYkCs.jpg

1C1NPPB.jpg

Some shots in detail....

ti58eP7.jpg

rl09Xjp.jpg

KxS3I87.jpg

Gqjl9Li.jpg

And some pictures of real model in Vietman (ALL PHOTOS ARE ONLY FOR INFORMATIVE PURPOSES, AND ALL LEGAL RIGHTS BELONG TO YOUR LEGITIMATE OWNERS)

vLxcxzo.jpg

SlwyPUO.jpg

5eqA8yh.jpg

WN0JZjn.jpg

CNrhnwW.jpg

YITrNzI.jpg

FrancisGL, you have done an excellent job on your M109. One of the things I notice is the 'track sag' because it's hard to reproduce the way they looked. In the pictures you found of different 109's notice how the top run of track sags but does not actually contact the road wheels. I found the Friulmodel in Hungary No. ATL-139 metal tracks have the correct amount of sag and because they are heavy the tracks look natural. The ATL-139 is a T-136 type track and that is what the Vietnam era M109 were using in the 1960's. I served in the US Army as a Battalion radio sergeant with an M109 Field Artillery unit during the war.

I have an online friend Gino Quintilian who served as company commander of M109A6 during the Gulf War https://app.photobucket.com/u/HeavyArty he is the person I go to for advice because he knows 109's inside and out and he is also an active model builder.

AFV Club Vietnam era M109 with Friulmodel metal tracks ready for primer and paint.

spacer.png

Consider chemical blackening metal tracks instead of paint.

Edited by Sergeant
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Sergeant said:

FrancisGL, you have done an excellent job on your M109. One of the things I notice is the 'track sag' because it's hard to reproduce the way they looked. In the pictures you found of different 109's notice how the top run of track sags but does not actually contact the road wheels. I found the Friulmodel in Hungary No. ATL-139 metal tracks have the correct amount of sag and because they are heavy the tracks look natural. The ATL-139 is a T-136 type track and that is what the Vietnam era M109 were using in the 1960's. I served in the US Army as a Battalion radio sergeant with an M109 Field Artillery unit during the war.

I have an online friend Gino Quintilian who served as company commander of M109A6 during the Gulf War https://app.photobucket.com/u/HeavyArty he is the person I go to for advice because he knows 109's inside and out and he is also an active model builder.

AFV Club Vietnam era M109 with Friulmodel metal tracks ready for primer and paint.

Hi Sergeant,

Many thanks for your like and kind words, i'm glad you like it.

I realize that you have first-hand information and reputable sources, congratulations! It is highly recommended to make our kits a little better if possible, although not all of us have that luck ... lol.

This model has its own WIP thread, I don't know if it is of any use to you, but it does explain (I think) why it finally looks.

Your kit, I bet it is much better as a base than the one I made, an oldie that I had stored for about 15 years in a closet, and which was one of the first I made upon my return to the hobby for a period of about 22 years. ..
When I approached it, it had crooked turret / superstructure parts, and the tracks ... are vinyl ... the only thing there was at that time, and also ... they were in bad shape ... very brittle ...

The right option was the one you target exactly, but "Friuls" would easily double or triple the value of the model ... lol, so I tried to do the best possible with what I had on hand, few materials, and catching up. quickly of new techniques, so today, I would probably do better (I hope ... lol).
Even so, I later bought an ITALERI set, for M109, rigid plastic link to link, with the idea of changing them, but when I started buying new kits, I have been putting it off ... lol

A little later I made a new M48A3 Patton, from Tamiya, although, with the same problem, vinyl tracks, although in good condition and from Tamiya, which is always quality ... with those I had no union / paint problem. They are not the most correct either, but once again, an oldie / cheap kit, ideal for the learning process ...

On the other hand, without a doubt, a good product for the oxidation of metal tracks is the best method, fast and effective, although, if the tracks actually have rubber parts, they will have to be painted.

I write down the reference you make of the correct color that you used for the Ontos.
Cheers, TC and MC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

Francis, the work you did on weathering your 109 is excellent, I wish I could do as well. Thank you for your kind words regarding my Ontos.

Harold

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 1

One other thought Francis, I found the color of primer makes a difference in the finished color of the USMC vehicle green. The primer I finally settled on was Vallejo Olive Drab surface primer.

Harold

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Sergeant said:

One other thought Francis, I found the color of primer makes a difference in the finished color of the USMC vehicle green. The primer I finally settled on was Vallejo Olive Drab surface primer.

Harold

Hi Harold, 

You are very right, the color of the primer that we use will be decisive with the tone (at least at the beginning) of the color that we choose ... it will vary a lot, especially if the spray is done in thin layers, not completely covering at the first spray, in this way very interesting color modulations are achieved ...
Your Ontos is a great job (those PEs look perfect), so it is worth commenting.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1