Work on the fuselage and details.

restoring lost rivets from seam clean up

image.jpg

image.jpg

I normally use a woodscrew on 48th builds. To big for this so a skewer instead. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Packed in with foam allows this for decals later on. 

image.jpg

Bomb/fuel rack etch. 

image.jpg

Canopy masks are perfect fit 👍🏿

image.jpg

Rads and wells masked off. These have been done in a medium sea grey-ish color. 

image.jpg

Canopy glazing done in tamiya, good match for the mig color to match interior. Will be covered in black next. 

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pic spacing
  • Like 4

More progress: 

black stynylrez

image.jpg

Mig silver

image.jpg

image.jpg

In daylight.

image.jpg

Masking for aluminium on fabric surfaces and steel for fuel tank armour. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A more contrasting background. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pic spacing
  • Like 6

Next phase. This was fridays work. The engine cowls and some larger panels on the body had a 50/50 mix of steel and silver freehand to add a bit of 'interestingness'. Some details were picked out on the airframe, various squares and circles brushed with the steel colour. Then onto the other parts, like the brushed aluminium inner hubs and the legs detailed. The whole inside of door & leg was sprayed aluminium, for the leg colour. Then the inner door brushed grey to match wells. Lastly some mig 'polished metal' on oleo.

Tail wheel sprayed grey them the tire brushed with rubber colour. Then Aqua gloss over plane and all bits, Ready for decals etc. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pic spacing
  • Like 4

Decals on.

I love eduard's own decals. Settled like this on their own,  with a touch of microset on surface and hot water on the first soaking. 

Sometimes eduard kits come with cartograph decals, which are printed perfectly and very vibrant, but ornate ones can be a bit thick with all their layers of colour and dont settle into rivets etc as well as these eduard printed ones. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
  • Like 9

I have a thing about Spitfires so I'm not sure how I missed this.

Great progress on what appears to be a very complicated kit, I had a look in my one and put it straight in the stash to be done when I'm a better modeller.

The NMF is splendid and the decals look painted on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beard said:

I have a thing about Spitfires so I'm not sure how I missed this.

Great progress on what appears to be a very complicated kit, I had a look in my one and put it straight in the stash to be done when I'm a better modeller.

The NMF is splendid and the decals look painted on.

Cheers dude!

Superb work. As per the others, not sure how I missed this, it aint exactly in a stealth paint scheme is it! I have this kit in my stash (as do quite a few other folk I suspect) and intend to do it in this scheme so watching with interest, and of course tips. Really impressive finish.

• Like 1

Cheers for the love guys, was worried something was terribly wrong with it but no one wanted to say as there'd been no replies so far up till this evening... Guess its just cause the thread originated around the period regarding the 'celebration of a birth from immaculate conception' or whatever... 

Lovely job so far Tony. Really like your treatment of the fuel tank cover - I would tend to disagree with the theory that it was left painted greeen & grey, and instead was a slightly darker shade of metal. Like some others here I have this in the stash, and when I get round to starting it I'll certinly use your build as a reference.

Justin

• Like 1

So next the etch rad grills were removed from sheet and edges cleaned up then sprayed straight with ak interactive extreme metal (not a mig product - gasp!) 

this went really well onto the metal being an enamel type product. 

The bottoms of the rads were them removed (only tacked on during the painting stage) and the grills installed with some pva. 

The bottoms were then glued on for good. 

image.jpg

• Like 2

Next is some weathering. 

I used mig panel line washes,  'deep grey' all over. A nice neutral colour. 

I tried not to get it into the tiny rivets on the wingtops, but all over the undersides (dirtier) 

The nose area had the heaviest application. 

Wheel wells and other grey bits yet to be added had the 'blue grey' wash. Roundels had a black wash in them. 

Once dry overnight it had some satin varnish to seal this in from the future stages of weathering and give it its final sheen. 

The next stage in a few days will be adding some filters and staining over the engine area and cowl to match the real pics. These will be added up in several layers. I may varnish inbetween eash one to make them easier to remove if it goes wrong/too far. 

Anyways here it is as of the last day of the year! 

Wash on and cleaned up but still glossy - 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

outside in daylight before satin. Looks a bit washed out. (Ha ha)

image.jpg

And as it stands now in its satin coat... Sehr gut! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sorry for all the pictures! 

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pic order
  • Like 8

Don't apologise Tony - those pictures are great! She's looking amazing.

Great tip on using the stand too - is it one of those 'desk clamp/magnifiers'? I think I'll take mine apart too :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Don't apologise Tony - those pictures are great! She's looking amazing.

Great tip on using the stand too - is it one of those 'desk clamp/magnifiers'? I think I'll take mine apart too :) 

Yes mate, just took the magnifying glass off. Been using these for a bout a year now. 👍🏿

Works on most things, for jets (see my 72nd tomcat WIP) its the other way around, skewer up the zorst and then the toothpick in the nose gear hole.  Fits 1/48 props ok same way this one is, and had up to 1/48 mig 21's mounted on these stands too. Anything bigger and may struggle. 

Makes decal application so much easier.  Also for fine camo work when airbrushing. As well as letting coats of paint dry in the cabinet without it touching anywhere. The uses are (almost) endless! 

• Like 1