1/48 Airfix Jaguar OS

RMP2

Right. As I have to pause with the GR1A Jag, Ill turn my attention to the OS that got put away with it.

State of affairs:

P1110375%20Large.jpg

It had been built with wheels up, but Ive "changed" that, could have turned out both better and worse, so see how it goes.

AIM-9Js are a little extravagent but are there to represent the P version that was used for export to countries that werent popular enough to get the Gs, Ls or Ms I believe.

So, I have all the bits ready to coble together, even the decals wooo. I would still like the option of having this one airborne, which will mean a pilot is required... yea, no foolin me, and canopy closed. Thinking of being brave with this one and doing the canopy masking myself which will be a first for me, but it appears pretty straightforward does the glazing, so wheres the harm...?

Edited by RMP2

• 2 weeks later...

I hate masking wrap-arounds!!

P1110421%20Large.jpg

P1110422%20Large.jpg

P1110423%20Large.jpg

Not at all convinced by the recommended colours, especially the Light Stone. Its not as light as the photo shows, nor is the Dark Earth so dark, but still.... Maybe a very thin coat of the two colours mixed over the whol aircraft will pull them in as well as reducing the contrast....? Im gonna have a cuppa and a think I reckon.

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

Cheers, Martin but the Light Stone should be darker/more browny yellow I think. Hard to judge from desert photos with the exposure turned down a bit, but its not right. Doh.

Looking for a way to escape remasking the whole thing, a small bomb might be an idea? :)

Bit bummed out re the Light Stone, took me all afternoon to mask up n paint thanks in part to Model Alliances camo destructions being drawn by Mr Escher....

Ive searched for images to make the colour match, but alas, no. Heres a couple of shots with what I believe show more true colours -

jaguar_07.jpg

A_Royal_Air_Force_of_Oman_Jaguar_taxies_

Yes, a bit of wing has "fallen off" the first one, hazards of Thumrait I believe :)

Its a bit annoying to find colours so often incorrect in call outs. Yes, its well known thats how it is, but... if we can/have to do the research, shouldnt the buggers who we pay for the kits and info do it too? I mean... I hate masking wrap-arounds and my time on this planet is limited!

More Blu-Tack purchased along with some "thinking juice".

Suggestions to correct the colour are very much welcome, the more pain free the better!!! But the Blu-Tack is waiting....

• Like 2

Bit happier this morning. I decided to be brave/stupid and I think its paid off for a change. :)

A quick look at the available paints and I went with a rather diluted Humbrol  225 Mid Stone, freehand over the Light Stone. Sure, its a bit scruffy but thats good in this case I think.

Still want to try a sort of white filter over it all as a coat of clear is bound to darken things off a bit.

P1110424%20Large.jpg

P1110425%20Large.jpg

The camera still doesnt get the colour quite as it is, see the first photo for a better comparison. :)

• Like 2

Aha! A quick look in the camera settings showed the "Light" option set to Normal, flicking it to Natural helps a bit re proper colours...

Here we are now after that mesh rub -

P1110429%20Large.jpg

P1110430%20Large.jpg

P1110432%20Large.jpg

Maybe you can just pick out the patchiness/wear kind of look to the paint? No? Aaah, well its there and Im really rather happy/bloody surprised how its turned out. :)

Now, the GR1 needs to catch up a bit me thinks!

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Its not that good a job, but this kit was destined for the bin shortly after I opened the box due to pretty bad warping and broken parts, was used for a while as a paint and decal test mule, but thought... I wonder if it could be made good?

Fingers crossed!!

• Like 2