Tamiya Yamato vs Musashi (old tool)

BallsBuster

I have zero knowledge of these kits.  However with the 1/700 old tool Y and M kits, one version (M, I think) represents them as built, with beam 6" turrets (like the ones in B and X positions) and the other (Y, I believe) as modified, with the beam 6" turrets replaced by extra 5" AA mounts and innumerable 25mm AA guns.   So that's one significant difference to look out for.

I believe the old Tamiya 1/350 Musashi depicted her as she appeared at Leyte Gulf. Similar to Yamato but without the extra twin 5 inch mounts. In place of the extra 5 inch mounts there were triple 25mm guns. Try doing a google search, there's probably some info out there.

thanks

Mike

I'm positive that 35001WD1 is for the old tool Yamato, and Pontos make 35029WD1 (natural wood) and 35030WD1 (coal black) decks for the new tool Yamato.

I *think* but would check the kit's history on Scalemates that the Musashi has only been the old tool kit so far, and the Musashi wooden deck part no. from Pontos is 35005WD1 which dates it to roughly when they made the old tool Yamato deck which I *think* was before Tamiya released the new tool Yamato anyway.

It's worth looking at Musashi on Scalemates as I can't remember ever seeing a new tool Musashi on sale anywhere ...

• 5 weeks later...

The old tool Yamato and Musashi are different.

the ayamato is depicted how they thought she looked on the final voyage at Okinawa the Musashi likewise but at Leyte Gulf.

The Yamato had extra 25mm mounts added after the demise of the Musashi.

There are other differences but dont think the info was out when Tamiya tooled the kits.

Still quite respectable but neither hold a candle to the new Yamato from Tamiya on any front.

always remember these ships were ultra secret , and the building plans were kept by the Japanese Admiralty - and at the end of the war - a lot

of documentation was deliberately destroyed on purpose , to stop the American seeing them - so few original photos and plans survived to this day

Its the same with the sister ship Shinano ( converted to Carrier after Midway defeat ) - only 2 few photos were taken of her - she is probably the rarest ship in the world

for photos - one was taken in secret by a Japanese Tug Boat captain , the other from a B 29 recce plane

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/01/2017 at 10:43, DarrenH said:

The old tool Yamato and Musashi are different.

the ayamato is depicted how they thought she looked on the final voyage at Okinawa the Musashi likewise but at Leyte Gulf.

The Yamato had extra 25mm mounts added after the demise of the Musashi.

There are other differences but dont think the info was out when Tamiya tooled the kits.

Still quite respectable but neither hold a candle to the new Yamato from Tamiya on any front.

i've made both the old and new Tamiya Yamato, i prefer the old tool but with really good Photo Etch......... the new tool Yamato is deliberately complicated on purpose, i found it quite annoying to make !  

i'm going to start the original Musashi in summer, i have a huge Photo Etch set for her, but without PE she's not nearly detailed enough, so you really do need it.

but if you dont know, be careful what you take on, because she has 14 sheets of PE and all of it is really hard to do

yam4f.jpg

yamz2_1.jpg

Edited by MalX

• 2 months later...
On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:31 PM, SovereignHobbies said:

I *think* but would check the kit's history on Scalemates that the Musashi has only been the old tool kit so far, and the Musashi wooden deck part no. from Pontos is 35005WD1 which dates it to roughly when they made the old tool Yamato deck which I *think* was before Tamiya released the new tool Yamato anyway.

That's right, the new tool has only been released as the Yamato so far, however it's worth noting that there are several flashed-over holes marked "M" that are not used in the new tool kit. Clearly it's been tooled with the Musashi in mind for the future, although whether I'll be able to persuade my better half to let me have it when it arrives is a different matter...

• Like 2

• 3 months later...