As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

adey m

AIRCRAFT DIORAMAS AND AIRFIELD BUILDINGS, VEHICLES AND EQUIPMENT

For myself, I did a small piece of an airfield in 1/48th with a B-26 hangar queen being stripped for spares.

b26_140.jpg

b26_142.jpg

b26_143.jpg

b26_145.jpg

b26_149.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

On 22/04/2018 at 11:33, Army_Air_Force said:

Hope you don't mind me joining in. Here's some scenes from an N scale model railway I did for a customer a few years ago.

airfield309.jpg

airfield310.jpg

airfield311.jpg

Hi Stephen, you are very welcome to join in. I have enjoyed looking at your airfield diorama, you have really captured the atmosphere of a wartime American Air Force base in East Anglia.

Your attention to detail such as the dispersals, buildings, hangars and background show that you have an interest in the subject.

You can definately cover more airfield in 1/144 than 1/72 scale and now there are more and more 1/144 aircraft subjects available.

I have always fancied a 1950s RAF Shackleton base apron and control tower area or a bit of the vast USAF Burtonwood airbase in 1/144, especially as many of the USAF transport types are now available in that scale.

Your fire truck foam effect is very realistic.

Thank you for sharing with us.

regards,  adey

D on a white square? Is that 100th Bomb Group?  Went to the museum at Thorpe Abbotts last summer.  Very nice place to visit & nice bunch of volunteers.

https://www.100bgmus.org.uk/

i am surrounded by the ex 8th Airforce bases over this part of the world - Bury St Edmunds/Rougham, Honnington, Rattlesden etc.  Nice to see that as a subject

I've spent a lot of time exploring Thorpe Abbotts and many other airfields. I love the architecture and the atmosphere of old airfields.

ta17.jpg

The sound effects in the top glasshouse are spooky - kept looking over to see what was coming in!  Rougham tower is looking good too, and lots of original buildings there despite the new road through the site.  Nice big chunk of runway left at Rattlesden plus the tower.  Always think of the airfix b-17 kit ‘a bit o’ lace’ as she was a Rattlesden bird

The 493rd BG at Debach is another worth while visit. There's lots of original buildings still at Debach and a good collection of military vehicles belonging to the owner of the site, Richard Taylor. I've had both of my Jeeps there over the years, and you can't beat exploring an old airfield in a Jeep - although doing it in a Sherman tank was fun too!

deb_static1.jpg

debach11.jpg

deb_tech7.jpg

deb_tech14.jpg

debach6.jpg

Been past Debach but not on a day it’s been open.  Must have a look.  Mind you got to get to Wattisham museum (first Sunday of the month) and Bentwaters Cold War museum too.  They do guided walks over there which sound good.

Pic of the buildings at Rougham - parachute store, bomb sight store, etc still there

1288551_5236ef40.jpg

Hi Adey, I’ve only just found this thread but have looked through it from start to finish  three times so far and I know I’ll look again and again. I’m completely knocked out by it, everything  from the subjects, the modelling, the layouts, the construction and the photography is absolutely beautiful. The treatment of the different elements and the placement of the figures reminds me of architectural models; do you have a background with these?

Thanks for posting the thread, It’s a real joy to look at.

17 hours ago, Timmas said:

Hi Adey, I’ve only just found this thread but have looked through it from start to finish  three times so far and I know I’ll look again and again. I’m completely knocked out by it, everything  from the subjects, the modelling, the layouts, the construction and the photography is absolutely beautiful. The treatment of the different elements and the placement of the figures reminds me of architectural models; do you have a background with these?

I couldn't agree more - 16 brilliant pages of top skill.

On 06/09/2018 at 21:34, Timmas said:

Thank you Timmas for your kind comments.

I don't have a background with architectural models but I do like to photograph my models from a scale eye level.

regards,  adey

Edited by adey m