AIRCRAFT DIORAMAS AND AIRFIELD BUILDINGS, VEHICLES AND EQUIPMENT

On 22/04/2018 at 11:33, Army_Air_Force said:

Hope you don't mind me joining in. Here's some scenes from an N scale model railway I did for a customer a few years ago.

airfield309.jpg

airfield310.jpg

airfield311.jpg

Hi Stephen, you are very welcome to join in. I have enjoyed looking at your airfield diorama, you have really captured the atmosphere of a wartime American Air Force base in East Anglia.

Your attention to detail such as the dispersals, buildings, hangars and background show that you have an interest in the subject.

You can definately cover more airfield in 1/144 than 1/72 scale and now there are more and more 1/144 aircraft subjects available.

I have always fancied a 1950s RAF Shackleton base apron and control tower area or a bit of the vast USAF Burtonwood airbase in 1/144, especially as many of the USAF transport types are now available in that scale.

Your fire truck foam effect is very realistic.

Thank you for sharing with us.

regards,  adey

• Like 1

D on a white square? Is that 100th Bomb Group?  Went to the museum at Thorpe Abbotts last summer.  Very nice place to visit & nice bunch of volunteers.

https://www.100bgmus.org.uk/

i am surrounded by the ex 8th Airforce bases over this part of the world - Bury St Edmunds/Rougham, Honnington, Rattlesden etc.  Nice to see that as a subject

• Like 1

The sound effects in the top glasshouse are spooky - kept looking over to see what was coming in!  Rougham tower is looking good too, and lots of original buildings there despite the new road through the site.  Nice big chunk of runway left at Rattlesden plus the tower.  Always think of the airfix b-17 kit ‘a bit o’ lace’ as she was a Rattlesden bird

The 493rd BG at Debach is another worth while visit. There's lots of original buildings still at Debach and a good collection of military vehicles belonging to the owner of the site, Richard Taylor. I've had both of my Jeeps there over the years, and you can't beat exploring an old airfield in a Jeep - although doing it in a Sherman tank was fun too!

deb_static1.jpg

debach11.jpg

deb_tech7.jpg

deb_tech14.jpg

debach6.jpg

• Like 2

Been past Debach but not on a day it’s been open.  Must have a look.  Mind you got to get to Wattisham museum (first Sunday of the month) and Bentwaters Cold War museum too.  They do guided walks over there which sound good.

Pic of the buildings at Rougham - parachute store, bomb sight store, etc still there

1288551_5236ef40.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Adey, I’ve only just found this thread but have looked through it from start to finish  three times so far and I know I’ll look again and again. I’m completely knocked out by it, everything  from the subjects, the modelling, the layouts, the construction and the photography is absolutely beautiful. The treatment of the different elements and the placement of the figures reminds me of architectural models; do you have a background with these?

Thanks for posting the thread, It’s a real joy to look at.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Timmas said:

Hi Adey, I’ve only just found this thread but have looked through it from start to finish  three times so far and I know I’ll look again and again. I’m completely knocked out by it, everything  from the subjects, the modelling, the layouts, the construction and the photography is absolutely beautiful. The treatment of the different elements and the placement of the figures reminds me of architectural models; do you have a background with these?

I couldn't agree more - 16 brilliant pages of top skill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 06/09/2018 at 21:34, Timmas said:

Thank you Timmas for your kind comments.

I don't have a background with architectural models but I do like to photograph my models from a scale eye level.

regards,  adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 4/23/2018 at 1:36 PM, Army_Air_Force said:

The 493rd BG at Debach is another worth while visit. There's lots of original buildings still at Debach and a good collection of military vehicles belonging to the owner of the site, Richard Taylor. I've had both of my Jeeps there over the years, and you can't beat exploring an old airfield in a Jeep - although doing it in a Sherman tank was fun too!

debach11.jpg

Anyone have pics from inside the caravan?  I am scratching one in 72nd and would love some ideas.

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2018 at 8:43 PM, bar side said:

Been past Debach but not on a day it’s been open.  Must have a look.  Mind you got to get to Wattisham museum (first Sunday of the month) and Bentwaters Cold War museum too.  They do guided walks over there which sound good.

Pic of the buildings at Rougham - parachute store, bomb sight store, etc still there

1288551_5236ef40.jpg

I visited Rougham Air Base as one of MY friend's(USA)

Father was based there during WWII. and he wanted lots of photos which I took and sent over.

its been a few years  since I did that...

took photos of the Plaque outside on the wall which used to be a Tower but now  have gotten museum stuff upstairs..

I had a tour around the flight path area etc... 

I still have gotten the photos on MY laptop.. 

I am sure that there is a huge tree or something  that  marks its position on the grassy area where a B-17 came down...  I might be wrong ... and another air base where the USAAF and pilots were based but unless I look up the photos I can't remember  where it was; but not far from  Rougham. That has  gotten a museum of uniforms etc....

Quite nostalgic  visit...

Thank you.

:heart:

4 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

I visited Rougham Air Base as one of MY friend's(USA)

Father was based there during WWII. and he wanted lots of photos which I took and sent over.

its been a few years  since I did that...

took photos of the Plaque outside on the wall which used to be a Tower but now  have gotten museum stuff upstairs..

I had a tour around the flight path area etc... 

I still have gotten the photos on MY laptop.. 

I am sure that there is a huge tree or something  that  marks its position on the grassy area where a B-17 came down...  I might be wrong ... and another air base where the USAAF and pilots were based but unless I look up the photos I can't remember  where it was; but not far from  Rougham. That has  gotten a museum of uniforms etc....

Quite nostalgic  visit...

Thank you.

:heart:

Rougham is being built over quite quickly - huge new warehouses have gone up.  The tower & buildings seem to be ok so far.  The 100th bomb group at Thorpe Abbotts is another museum tower well worth a visit

photo-2-1556515470.jpg

photo-3-1556515470.jpg

photo-5-1556515470.jpg

photo-7-1556515470.jpg

And this is my fantasy of what RAF Leuchars might have looked like in 1940. Of course, I've never been there(

Scale 1/72. Hudson - Revell, crane - Airfix, figures - Airfix, Zvezda
Tractor, bomb trolleys, barn and dog - home backed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Here's one from 2010, built on a board on my knee while watching over my baby daughter. Perhaps an airfield boundary or an off field landing. One feathered prop tells a story of an aircraft struggling to stay in the air and failing. The other prop, with just the tips bent backwards and marks in the ground, points to the left gear collapsing during roll out, with the forward motion arrested by the hedge, fence and tree. A USAAF crew are dismantling the aircraft while the RAF has provided the Bedfords, Queen Marys and a Thorneycroft crane. Perhaps the aircraft came down close to an RAF base? We may never know. It does look to be a survivable forced landing.

Airfix - 1/72 GMC CCKW 353 ( with scratch built No. 7 Set crane )
Airfix - 1/72 Douglas A-26B Invader ( chopped up based on photos I found )
Airfix - 1/72 Willys Jeep & Trailer
Airfix - 1/76 Queen Mary Trailer ( x 2 ) ( corrected to 3 ton and 5 ton versions )
Airfix - 1/76 Thorneycroft/Coles Crane ( corrected jib and additional detailing )

crash1.jpg

crash3.jpg

crash2.jpg

crash5.jpg

crash4.jpg

crash6.jpg

crash7.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Matchbox Handley Page Halifax Mk 1

One of my 2020 Lockdown builds, an original 1/72 Matchbox three-colour plastic kit of the Handley Page Halifax Mk 1.

resized_92e5af6a-ceac-46c9-adfa-79e6337a

A reworked model painted in one of the schemes included in the kit, an aircraft of 10 Squadron, RAF Leeming in Yorkshire in 1942.

resized_bc17555d-546b-4e07-8d5d-900a817d

Airfix bombs and trollies and RAF refuelling set personnel.

resized_d76dfd58-51d0-48b1-a2e4-6b13a7f9

resized_7dc7ff8a-4f21-4f28-9ed2-b849a103

Being bombed up for the night mission.

resized_77cdc9e4-21ac-4752-a904-eecd6c83

Parked on its frying pan dispersal with Airfix AEC Matador converted into a runway controller's van.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 4