1/72 Haunebu II - Squadron Models - Major Discount Sale Now Running

Madoc

Wow!

This just in from Squadron - and it's also the first kit they're producing themselves.

It's a Haunebu II German Flying Saucer.  It's a pretty massive looking thing even in its 1/72nd scale.  It also looks exceptionally well detailed.  For fans of the off beat, of Luft '46 subjects, science fiction, and those who just want to have some outlandish fun - this should be just the ticket.

They're taking pre-orders now and are looking at an end of January, 2017, availability.

http://www.squadron.com/Squadron-Models-1-72-Haunebu-II-German-Flying-Sa-p/sqm0001.htm

• Like 2

Sgt.Squarehead,

Apparently this is entirely new tooling and an original kit for Squadron.  It seems an odd and somewhat risky first choice.  It's also not an inexpensive thing.  But it will build up into a pretty impressive looking subject.

1 hour ago, Madoc said:

This just in from Squadron - and it's also the first kit they're producing themselves.

This is NOT the first kit Squadron has produced, in spite of their claim to the contrary; all those Czech Models kits were Squadron productions. They were molded by Special Hobby, but Squadron did everything else. How do I know? I was editor for Squadron/Signal Publications from 2005 to 2007 and assisted with several, as well as the Czech Models "Bamboo Bomber" which was produced and released after I left their employ.

• Like 3

Youtube in box review that I saw via Starship Modeler.

Paul Harrison

Edited by GreenDragon
  • Like 1

I've had one on pre order from Hannants for a while now...I can see a lot of LED/scratch-building wiffery ahead. This one like Anigrand's 1/144th offering is a lot closer to the Dornier Stratospheren Haunebu II (formerly Vril RFZ-6) design than the Hand 'n' Head one which in turn is more based on the standard Adamski style of UFO...I also have the the Anigrand one which along with the included bonus Haunebu I (Vril RFZ-5) and BMW Flugelrad 1 and 2 is a good size even in 1/144th, this one should be most impressive in 1/72nd, can't wait.

• Like 1

Unfortunately by definition most of the sites and articles are pure speculation loaded with firmly tongue in cheek 'factual histories' of the Vril/Black Sun/Tachyon Drive/Klystron cannon, etc, some good CGI and some badly Photo-shopped models. This would normally be a problem in researching such a project but in this case almost anything goes really.

The only dedicated books I know of are the ones written by Holger Erutan and Armin Spree unfortunately both written in German, not sure if there's an English translated copy anywhere, but to be honest I imagine you could read pretty much the same material on any of the web sites........

I'll be basing mine on this image as I like the scheme and weathering. looks like I'm going to have to restock on my MIG pastels and weathering sets....

haunebu36.jpg

Now if they could stretch to a 1/72nd Haunebu III or even a IV :analintruder:

Edited by general melchett

GM,

Thanks!

Looking around, I've found this site:

http://discaircraft.greyfalcon.us/HAUNEBU.htm

It comes really close to being one of those whacked out conspiracy sites.  But it doesn't quite attain that "full turnip" level (which is a level beyond "full potato" when comes to absurdity) and thus has some use.  I'm somewhat tempted to depict mine in captured US livery.  That is, with the swastikas and crosses obviously painted over as if the craft had but recently fallen into American hands.  Arguing against that however, is the singular expense and size of the model.  So, I'll probably do mine as if it were an operational machine.  And park it next to my C-57D!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Mine arrived this afternoon, I've been really looking forward to this release ever since it was announced, managed to get it at a huge discount thanks to Hannants...what a kit, it's huge ! Detail is extremely crisp and well moulded. First task was actually getting into the box, it has to be the tightest fit I've ever come across and difficult not to damage the lid when trying to prise it off. The whole presentation is superb with everything packaged off so as to minimise the possibility of any damage. Decals appear first rate. Lots of super-detailing ahead....looking forward to getting stuck in. 

GM,

Agreed on all counts!  Ain't it great!  The model itself is exceptionally well engineered and moulded.  The concept?  It's awesomely absurd!  And that's awesome!

It certainly is...very simple construction but cleverly thought out, in fact it only took me less than an hour to put it all together. Only thing I'll change are the oversized rivets, they'll just have to go. The fun with this one will be the detailing, lighting and paint/weathering job. Ammo and AK products at the ready !

I'm sure I have one on order with Uncle Frank but will have to remind him when I see him next.  Although mine will be losing the guns, which should defininitely not be underneath - those "turrets" are supposedly the field propulsion units, the large central on is the reactor.

What's with the wheels, they seem to support the weight but appear to be 90 degrees to each other on a triple wheel two leg set up so you don't appear able to  align them in the same direction to move it on the ground ?.

Noticed that Geoff, maybe it just levitated itself all over the place, (though in and out of hangars may have proved interesting). The Anigrand 1/144th version has them as single wheeled units that all turn in the same direction, (same goes for the included Haunebu I) and it seems the new Pegasus 1/144th version follows the same logic as the Squadron kit though Unicraft's 'resin' offering has a more logical three unit arrangement. I'll probably end up turning two through 90 degrees so they all align,

Lee's quite right about the gun turrets, though I may well keep as is.......

Should be fun to see how people build and display these models, captured as Lee will probably do his, in wartime service or testing in Germany, in winter camo at a secret base in the Arctic or Antarctic, Jungle scheme for Argentinian base or even using the Airfix Lunar Module kit or Astronauts to do a Nazis moon base Iron Sky style :D.

Think your right about modifying the wheels to turn for ground movement, if its just for landing the a sprung skid system would make more sense than wheels that cant roll anywhere.

Yeap I have to agree with Lee and Andy, about the belly domes as got assume there is some pretty weird unnatural forces being emitted to keep it flying which would have some effect on weapons located there, plus targeting those as unmanned turrets from the main cabin without an extensive sensor suite would be tricky.

Edited by Geoff_B

Yeah, I think a jungle camo pattern might be just the thing.  I mean everyone already knows about the whole "secret Antarctic base" thing so they'd be expecting some whitewashed camo job. So, jungle greens would definitely be different.

And when you think about it, they'd be a lot more likely.  Setting up anything all the way down in Antarctica - even so much as a tiny three man weather reporting station, let alone a massive secret base with bunches of Haunebus and Type XXI u-boats - would be too enormous a logistical undertaking for it to have remained secret at all.

However, setting up shop in the wilds of the Amazon basin would've been a lot more do-able.  It'd have been closer to the Reich and thus easier and quicker to get the supplies and materials to.  And a lot of those construction materials and equipment could've come from countries nearby instead of having to be carted all the way from the Reich down to the Antarctic.

So, I think the whole "secret Antarctic base" thing was just a cover story to throw the Allies off and that the real secret Nazi flying saucer base was in the Amazon!

Plus, being in the Amazon would've put it a lot closer to that secret entrance to the hollow Earth...

• Like 1

Might need some major surgery on the landing gear. Each unit consists of two parallel angled legs, with a wheel between them and wheels on the outside.  Each leg has a downlock in the same plane as the leg.   That is a rigid rectangular structure where the axle cannot twist through 90 degrees, and could not therefore be steerable unless the entire mounting rotated through 90 degrees.

However, the combined width of the three wheels will not retract through the available slot unless there is a 90 degree rotation......

On 01/03/2017 at 0:54 PM, general melchett said:

Mine arrived this afternoon, I've been really looking forward to this release ever since it was announced, managed to get it at a huge discount thanks to Hannants...what a kit, it's huge ! Detail is extremely crisp and well moulded. First task was actually getting into the box, it has to be the tightest fit I've ever come across and difficult not to damage the lid when trying to prise it off. The whole presentation is superb with everything packaged off so as to minimise the possibility of any damage. Decals appear first rate. Lots of super-detailing ahead....looking forward to getting stuck in. 

Does it have the crew members Martian had for his build?

Vril madchen?