Eurocopter AS350 Squirrel HT1 - DHFS

Ragtag

Hi all,

started this one a few days ago intending to make it a quick holiday build. The kit is the Australian Navy boxing of Mach 2's Squirrel. Parts require a lot of flash cleanup, no great problem in itself, I was still expecting a relatively quick build. I'd heard rumours of Mach 2 kits so perhaps I was naive - this one is fighting me all the way.

The rear of the engine housing looks all wrong to my eye:

30948852184_b68f58c6f2_k.jpg

And the exhaust is less than convincing:

30948839514_a75f072c92_k.jpg

As a result I ordered some styrene tubing and will have a go at fashioning the exhaust myself. The rear of the engine housing has been hacked away and will hopefully be rebuilt into something a little more likelike. Whilst waiting for the styrene delivery I cracked on cleaning up the skids. As you can see, the fit is perfect :wall:. Cue another order for some brass rod to replace the 'legs' - which are completely the wrong shape anyway judging by the photos I've seen.

31673154121_9d5fc8ac7e_z.jpg

And to top it all off, I still can't find anyone with the decals willing to sell :). In the end I've started a Merlin build to run alongside to keep me sane.

Edited by Ragtag
  • Like 2

Some progress made with the skids today. Whilst not exactly an elegant solution, the new brass parts are (in my opinion, at least) a better representation of the real thing.

31663813902_cb9a6ea881_z.jpg

31811204095_d0cf3dcf14_h.jpg

Edited by Ragtag
  • Like 3

I'm not normally one to slam kits, I'm just grateful they exist in the first place - especially of the less popular subjects like this. Let's just say the fit is...interesting. It's actually not just the fit, I've found that pairs of parts are actually completely different shapes (such as the legs) - but especially around the fronts of the fuselage halves. Will take some work to get the transparent front on I think :)

Small update - both sets of legs now done and looking better. Attention will turn back to the exhaust next.

Edited by Ragtag
  • Like 2