Academy 1/48 MH-53 Sea Dragon

Red Dot

Firstly, let's get it over with....Happy New Year! :)

Hope you all had a great Christmas and holiday period. I've just had another session with the MH-53 main rotor and managed to finish it as per the photos below. The paint looks a bit blotchy in them but in reality it is nicely faded black. Anyway, i am more than happy with the way it has turned out as it is the first time i have added this much detail to a model using real modelling skills. The stripey Academy decals went on okay but silvered even though they were on gloss, so i have been warned for the main airframe if i need to use any of theirs again (remember that i have the Wolfpack set which covers most areas).

IMG_6092.jpg

Next up was the tail rotor, the components of which can be seen here. It will build up into a very accurate representation of the real thing, but i first had to fill the mold push out marks on the centre section before any clean up and assembly could start.

IMG_6081.jpg

IMG_6079.jpg

Did i mention mold push out marks? This kit has an unbelieveable number of them as shown below. I am not sure how many will be seen on the finished interior walls but i have filled them all anyway along with some in the cockpit area. Also needing filling is the centre cabin window on each side of the fuselage as these aren't present on the MH-53E because of the big sponsons. The kit instructions sort of mention this but don't really cater for it in the parts themselves.

IMG_6083.jpg

IMG_6084.jpg

IMG_6085.jpg

IMG_6087.jpg

That will do for now as i need to let the putty dry out

cheers

Andy

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Nice work on the rotor Andy, looks great.

That's a serious amount of mould ejection marks, looks like the MH-53 has a bad case of green measles! 

As the build is going so well you can get cracking on that F-2 as well!

don't be cheeky!

• Like 1

On 02/01/2017 at 5:10 PM, modelling minion said:

As the build is going so well you can get cracking on that F-2 as well!

I'm with Craig....as you've broken your rules on the number of kits in your stash....F-2 time😜😜

Lovin the rotor head, looks fab.

Si

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Covjets13 said:

I'm with Craig....as you've broken your rules on the number of kits in your stash....F-2 time😜😜

Lovin the rotor head, looks fab.

Si

Thanks for your concern about my stash size Simon, however by building the MH-53 the volume is greatly reduced, thus allowing other purchases to potentially be made. I'm not going to break the one at a time rule though as i might end up with wings on helicopters etc

Andy

10 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

Thanks for your concern about my stash size Simon, however by building the MH-53 the volume is greatly reduced

Its not not concern Andy, it's encouragement.....in numbers....and volume👍👍👍

Si

• Like 1

Hi simon,

patience, one at a time 😋 And then savour the moment of a new purchase...........

I have been been doing some more work on the interior but had to upload the walk around photos to Dropbox over night. Now that I can see them on the "iPlod", progress will be a bit quicker. Photos to follow hopefully.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Red Dot said:

I'm not going to break the one at a time rule though as i might end up with wings on helicopters etc

I believe the correct phrase is "chicken".

Mind you if you pull your finger out and finish the MH-53 soon you can still build the F-2 for the STGB, after all it is only 2 colours.

hi Craig,

Goading won't help. You seem to have the phrase "pull your finger out" and "finish the MH-53 soon" in the same sentence. Not a hope with Academy instructions!

Andy

• Like 1

Apology first, I visited the MH-53Es out here, but couldn't get the pictures I promised.

Just back from visiting the USS MAKIN ISLAND LHA-8, loads of phots (+ interiors & openengine panels) - here are a couple attached of the CH-53Es. I will work on uploading a walk around for the various types photographed today in Sunny Bahrain. I'll put a hyperlink in this post later to allow others to find the phots in the other threads if ok? (It will take me several hours to get ALL the pictures uploaded

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

Similar to the MH-53Es down the road, although these beasts receive regular fresh water wash downs, as any WAFU maintainer will tell you, they get filthy, I'll upload a pic showing the tops of the blades up close (as that is where you are in your build), so you can see the faded & stained look of the real thing. Hope you can zoom in on the rotor head, I think your efforts have captured the look pretty well.

Link below to where I have currently published phots in Britmodeller - loads of other CH-53Es and some of engine bays etc

• Like 2

hi Fights On,

Thanks for the photos and the promises of more. Just what i need especially any cockpit shots.

Time for another update. I sanded down the mold marks but ran into trouble at the rear of the fuselage as by the time you have sanded the filler, you have also removed the faint ribs that are also correctly on the kit side walls. So this meant some dreaded scratch building!

I firstly drilled out some of the lightening holes in the main ribs as per walkaround photos and then added 0.005 card in-fills over the mess. This was followed by adding the welded stringers between the main ribs (about 80 each side!). All-in -all, i am very pleased with the outcome and it needs some paint now before adding yet more detail, as seen below.

IMG_6100.jpg

IMG_6099.jpg

IMG_6098.jpg

IMG_6097.jpg

IMG_6095.jpg

Note that the Japanese look after their air crew as most of the cabin is covered with sound-proofing material. The US Marines have none of this but it does make life a lot easier for us modellers.

Lastly, here's the assembled tail rotor with nothing to add apart from paint.

IMG_6093.jpg

Hope you like it so far and as ever, all comments or help offers are welcome

Andy

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

hi all,

Sorry about taking so long to do another post here, but i have been suffering with MFNS (man flu, no sympathy) so didn't get round to doing any modelling.

As you can see from the pictures below, i have painted the interior and added some pipework and wiring. It's all very fiddly but straight forward enough to do with a good magnifier and lighting. Having wires of the correct colours really helps too. The black wire going out of the top will lead to the cable channeling in the roof when it is all together.

The quilting on the walls is highlighted with Flory Models grey wash which is really great stuff and very easy to use.

IMG_6111.jpg

IMG_6112.jpg

Some Eduard pre-painted etch is shown attached here and just needs a little dulling down with mat varnish. Some weathering will also be needed too.

IMG_6113.jpg

IMG_6113.jpg

Next up are some scratch build safety belts and bits hanging from the roof plus the minesweeping winches. Keep watching!

Andy

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 6

hi everyone,

I've now completed the walls of the fuselage interior as shown on the photos below. This included the scratchbuild safety harnesses on the roof and the red thing (no idea what it is!) by the ramp. The yellow bar is a manual ramp operating handle. Amazing what you learn by reading stencils! All of this was weathered with some Mig washes and pastel dust liberally applied with a big brush taking care not to break the small pieces.

IMG_6115.jpg

IMG_6116.jpg

IMG_6118.jpg

One thing i nearly forgot was to paint yellow around the windows as they are emergency exits

IMG_6124.jpg

The last picture shows the yellow effect

IMG_6126.jpg

As ever, any comments are welcome and let me know if i have missed anything before i close it all up. I still have to add the minesweeping winches onto the cargo deck and balancing gear in the ceiling but the MH-53 i am making doesn't have the side seats luckily.

All the best for now

Andy

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 6

Hi Andy, this is a seriously good helo kit and one I have in th e stash. Sadly too far down th epile at present. Love th ework on the MRN that loks spot on. The cabin and cockpit too are coming along great. I do like the way you painted around the kick-out (jetisonable) windows before you added the quilting/soundproofing. Are you building the Japanes version, if so a wise choice. I think it looks more interesting in the gray and white scheme...

I have the popcorn at hand...

Colin

Hi Heloman,

i am indeed doing the JMSDF version using some excellent walk around pictures I was given by a friend. Thanks for the nice comments and welcome aboard. Feel free to chip in with any support you can offer,

andy

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, exdraken said:

Great work!  

thanks very much Exdraken. Glad you like it.

Hopefully there will be some more pictures shortly

Andy

Evening everyone,

I've done some work tonight on the minesweeping winches on the cargo deck and the cable balancing arm in the roof of the cabin as shown on the pictures below.

All i have done to the arm is add the cables from bits of painted wire, but the winches needed a few more extras to help to add some interest bearing in mind that they will be fairly visible from the rear of the helicopter. Again, it is bits of wire and scrap plastic all painted up then weathered using grey and brown pastel chalk applied with a big soft brush. It's not strictly accurate but more than good enough for interest's sake.

That's it for the inside of the cabin apart from some cables on the rear of the cockpit bulkhead. After that's done, it's cockpit time!

Looking forward to any comments,

Andy

IMG_6143.jpg

IMG_6142.jpg

IMG_6140.jpg

IMG_6139.jpg

IMG_6137.jpg

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work Andy, looks perfectly convincing.

I look forward to seeing what you do with the cockpit.

Thanks Craig. I'll bring it along to the club on Friday so you can see what has happened so far in real life

Andy