1/48 Eduard (Accurate Miniatures) - Douglas Dauntless No 25 Sqn RNZAF

Calum

I finished this a while ago and have fianlly got arround to doing the pictures.

I'd heard many good things about the Accurate Miniatures Dauntless, alas my experience wasn't that positive. Some issues, but not all, were definitely of my own making but others weren't. Vague instructions , lots of flash, lots of pointless PE coupled with the odd Anders Error (AE) resulted in a build that I was glad to see the back off.

The RNZAF only operated the Dauntless in combat for a short time (less than 6 months IIRC). This aircraft was flown by the Commanding Officer of 25 (Dive Bomber) Squadron,  Squadron Leader T. J. McLean de Lange.

The Kit

• Eduard boxing of the Accurate Miniatures SBD-5 Dauntless including PE sets, resin gun sets and resin wheels
  •  

Aftermarket

• Model Master barrels

Decals

• Aeromaster RNZAF in the Pacific
  • Kit Stencils
  •  

Painted With

• Mr Color Lacquers
  • Tamiya Acrylics 
  • Testors Glosscoate
  • Testors Dullcoate
  • Vallejo Acrylics for details

Weathered with

• Oil paint wash
  • AK Enamel products
  • Pencils

Build Thread Here

The Pictures

dauntless-37.jpg

dauntless-27.jpg

dauntless-31.jpg

dauntless-34.jpg

dauntless-38.jpg

dauntless-39.jpg

dauntless-41.jpg

dauntless-48.jpg

dauntless-52.jpg

dauntless-49.jpg

More photos at my blog

• Like 31

13 minutes ago, pacificmustang said:

vague instructions indeed!!!!

More like vague builder

Came out looking nice mate.  Tomcat next?

Bruce

you would say that :D I'll finish (oh that right you don't know that feeling)  the Sea harrier first then Tomcat time 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Calum said:

lots of flash, lots of pointless PE coupled with the odd Anders Error (AE) resulted in a build that I was glad to see the back off.

OK, I'll bite.  What is an Anders Error? 

Oh, and when you finish one of those builds that you're glad to see the back of and it turns out as well as this one did, doesn't it make you feel really satisfied, more than when you finish a straightforward uncomplicated build?  "Chuffed," is that the word?  Something this Yank has picked up from all the Brit contributors on this site.  I've got to run "chuffed" by one of my English friends and see if there's a reaction.

On 21/12/2016 at 10:02 AM, Niles said:

Oh, and when you finish one of those builds that you're glad to see the back of and it turns out as well as this one did, doesn't it make you feel really satisfied, more than when you finish a straightforward uncomplicated build?  "Chuffed," is that the word?  Something this Yank has picked up from all the Brit contributors on this site.  I've got to run "chuffed" by one of my English friends and see if there's a reaction.

Its a unforced error that Calum has made because he failed to properly read, or in fact, read the instructions at all Niles.  More properly called a GIBSON GOOF :D

Bruce

Calum, are those AM barrels?  they came out looking rather spiffy

Edited by pacificmustang

HI Niles Bruce below has provided an accurate definition of an AE, which is not surprising considering it is named after him.. Ignore the feeble attempt to rename it however. :D

As for satisfaction , well I'm always satisfied when I've finished something but I tend to get more satisfaction when I don't make so many silly mistakes (AE;'s ) n the way . I really should know better buy now : )

On 12/22/2016 at 6:25 PM, pacificmustang said:

Its a unforced error that Calum has made because he failed to properly read, or in fact, read the instructions at all Niles.  More properly called a GIBSON GOOF :D

Bruce

Calum, are those AM barrels?  they came out looking rather spiffy

Bruce,, you know the correct term is Anders Error... no prizes for second :D   

The barrels are metal ones , Eduard give you resin ones which are alsp nice, but the metal ones are so cheap and look even better than resin ones I think they are M1919 0.3 in barrels I bought for a 1/48 armour project . Not sure if they are exactly right but they looked close enough for me  (I know you're all about the accuracy so this won't do for you :D )  

Edited by Calum