MFH Gulf Porsche 917K 1/24th vs Fujimi Martini Porsche 917K

Borez

OK, so for my next build I've decided to build the MFH 917K 1/24th Ver B in the JW Automotive Gulf colours ( yes I'm doing the Gulf Colours! )

This is my first MFH kit too so I'm kinda excited and a little nervy as I have no idea what's ahead. Another learning curve I guess.

Also haven't decided whether to build the No.19, 71 Sarth 24 hours or the No.1 Monza 1000Km version yet.

I'm leaning towards the Monza car at the moment.

But anyway, the kit arrived this afternoon. And very nice it is too. Santa came early in my house.

IMG_3233.jpg

So basically I now have to start sorting though this lot.

IMG_3240_1.jpg

IMG_3239.jpg

Unfortunately, and annoyingly, it's all gone back in the box as the kit is completely missing the PE parts and the bulkhead section. Not a good start really.

I've contacted the supplier and I'm waiting for an answer on that.

Anyway....

To mix it up a bit.

I also have the Fujimi 22 Martini 1971 Le Mans winning 917K.

IMG_3241.jpg

Which I intend to build in tandem with the MFH kit using the MFH as reference to see what kind of standard I can detail the Fujimi.

Whether I can get it anywhere near the MFH kit only time will tell I guess.

On order for the Fujimi are PE parts, upgraded brakes and the Historic Racing Miniatures HRM-303 engine and bulkhead transkit. I'll be scratch-building everything else; including the frame.

I'm also thinking about moderately weathering both kits for a bit of race authenticity.

So there you have it really, bit off way more than I can chew again.

IMG_3242.jpg

What could possibly go wrong?

:blink:

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 8

18 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

I think that I shall sit in for the ride Borez. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Simon.

Thanks Simon.

The MFH looks pretty great, I've been reading though the instructions. There's a lot to do on this for sure.

Shame I don't have the PE parts though, kinda annoying considering the cost of these things.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

Wow, this is going to be interesting. I am especially following what you think about the Fujimi kit in direct comparison to the MFH. Did I say this is going to be interesting?

Well to be honest on first impressions the MFH is understandably in a different league to the Fujimi kit, there's no engine in the Fujimi kit for starters ( thus the extra transkit ) and there's no rear frame as such, just some cosmetic bare bones. I'm hoping some scratch building will change all of that though.

The bodywork will be an interesting comparison though. I'll do an A - B of the two over the next couple of days.

I'd also love to take all of the parts out and have a proper look, but they're staying in the box until I can confirm what's happening about the PE parts. I really hope I don't have to send the MFH back, that would be a PITA. Annoying really as I wanted to get on with cleaning everything up over the weekend as I have time off at the moment.

Edited by Borez

Also try contacting MFH directly for replacement parts. Their customer service is excellent. I had a broken resin part in one of my kits that they replaced free of charge. 

Rich

Edited by rjfk2002
Typo
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, rjfk2002 said:

Also try contacting MFH directly for replacement parts. Their customer service is excellent. I had a broken resin part in one on my kits that they replaced free of charge. 

Rich

Well considering I'm getting no response from the supplier from multiple emails yet I may just have to do this. I'll be furious if I have to go down that route though. I mean, it's not really a replacement, it's parts that should have been in the box.

No naming and shaming quite yet though as it's the silly season. I do however know they're working because they dispatched a separate order to me this morning.

Edited by Borez

OK, so before I start sorting, ordering and cleaning all of the MFH parts I thought I'd do a quick comparison between the MFH and Fujimi body shells.

As you can see from the pics ( hopefully ) The Fujimi body is quite a bit wider than the MFH shell.

IMG_3252_1.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3253.jpg

IMG_3255.jpg

The cockpit on the MFH is smaller in comparison and tapers in more. Just an overall narrower, sleeker design. I really didn't think there would be as much difference to be honest. Which one is more historically accurate I have no idea, I presume the MFH. 

Looks like I'll be cutting holes in the Fujimi for the fuel filler cap and strengthening the pretty weak looking bodywork hinges.

I also intend to separate the drivers door on the fujimi, not sure if I'll be doing the same on the MFH though ( the thought actually scares me )

Also this great lump of a book arrived in the post. Managed to pick one up cheap (ish ) on ebay. 

IMG_3248.jpg

Some great pics though, especially of the engine. Nice pics of the factory too. What I didn't know is that there was also a 6.6 litre 16 cylinder version of the engine ( I presume for Can-Am.  ) Must have been a beast to drive.

I shall be digesting the contents over the Christmas period.

Still trying to work out which chassis number the Gulf car actually is if anyone has any ideas?

And that's it for now really, sorting time.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

A nice bit of reference you got there Borez.

It should answer any queries you have.

Simon.

You say that, I'm still trying to work out the chassis number though.

I'm sure I'll get there. ;)

Edited by Borez

I think the Gulf car may be chassis 917-016, according to the Haynes manual for the 917...

917-016

Perhaps one of the most celebrated 917s, this is the JW Automotive car with which Pedro Rodriquez dominated at Brands Hatch in 1970. He and Leo Kunnen also drove it to win at Monza and Watkins Glen that year. During 1971 it was mainly used for practice. Gerry Sutherfield owned it for many years before selling it to Indianapolis based Chris McAllister in the 1990s

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MetroRacing said:

Damn it, late to the party like usual.

Well at least it's not really begun yet 😉

That is quite a difference in width. Is it the same for the length? It looks like comparing 1/24 to 1/25 is the reason I ask.

Ashley

I thought that,  it actually looks like a different scale to me too. The length is pretty much the same though.

41 minutes ago, injidup said:

I think the Gulf car may be chassis 917-016, according to the Haynes manual for the 917...

Thanks, I'll look into this a bit more, I also have the Haynes manual.

Edited by Borez

14 hours ago, injidup said:

I found out the info on these cars from the large book of knowledge:

OK, the three Gulf Cars for the MFH ver B kit are as follows:

No. 1    Monza 1000km  Stiffert/Bell              chassis no   917-014/029   car placed  2nd
No. 2    Monza 1000km  Rodriguez/Oliver     chassis no   917-013/043   car placed  1st
No. 19  Le Mans 24hr     Attwood/muller       chassis no   917-026/031   car placed  2nd

What’s interesting to note is that the 917 013/043 car is also one of the cars used in the Steve McQueen film of Le mans, the car that David Piper crashed and lost his leg. The car was then completely rebuilt for the 1971 season.

I also found out that this particular car survives here in the UK in the National Motor Museum in Beaulieu. I may just have to take a trip up there to photograph it.

The Martini No. 22  Le Mans winning car for the Fujimi kit is chassis no. 917/053 and now lives in the Porsche Museum.

• Like 1

OK, so whilst soaking the white metal parts prior to cleaning I decided to do do a few bits on the Fujimi today.

First I took the door off, damn fiddly this one was though, up near the hinge there is zero room for error ( and also around the windscreen section. ) It involved using a jewelers saw blade without the frame as I couldn't get the angle with the frame attached, very slow work but finally got it off. The surround just needs sanding and cleaning up

I'll be scratch building the tubular frame that goes behind the door and reinforcing the surround with plasticard and tube.

Did a little test fit to get a feel of the overall model too

IMG_3270_1.jpg

Not much going on in the engine bay at all until I get the transkit.

IMG_3269.jpg

The rear cowling hinges were not really hinges at all so I've added plasticard and a 0.4mm brass rod to make my own hinge. It's not trimmed in this pic yet.

IMG_3275.jpg

So now it has a proper working cowl hinge

IMG_3279.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3272.jpg

Which now closes flush to the bodywork. 

IMG_3274.jpg

I also did a test fit of the white metal engine last night and I must admit it was a PITA, the main engine block and gearbox snapped together fine but the cam covers and various other parts just didn't want to fit at all, took ages to re-drill the holes and file the pins to get them to eventually fit flush.

I mean, I knew working with white metal would be a different experience and I knew I'd have to remove the flash which was not a difficult job , but I didn't realise it was going to be as tedious and frustrating getting the parts to actually join together. The round and square pins were definitively not fitting in the round and square holes without work here.

I'm sure I'll get there though, just a different way of working.

Anyway, that's it for now.

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 6

Nice work on the Fujimi car. I plan to make mine pretty much oob but may do another with more detail later. Hope you get your transkit soon.

Also, it's great to hear of your experiences with the multimedia kit, as I'm sure that like me, there are many of us who have never touched one before. Thanks for guiding us through the build.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, injidup said:

Nice work on the Fujimi car. I plan to make mine pretty much oob but may do another with more detail later. Hope you get your transkit soon.

Also, it's great to hear of your experiences with the multimedia kit, as I'm sure that like me, there are many of us who have never touched one before. Thanks for guiding us through the build.

I've never built a MFH multimedia kit either, so I'm basically in the same boat too. ;)