MFH Gulf Porsche 917K 1/24th vs Fujimi Martini Porsche 917K

Borez

5 hours ago, RandyD said:

This is a great build thread sir !!!   I love the double build of these two cars.

Randy

Thank you kindly sir.

Is the model builders warehouse site yours?

If it is then can I point out that the HRM Porsche 917K Engine and Detail transkit you sell is 1/24th scale and not 1/12th. :)

Edited by Borez

So today was a continuation of yesterdays detailing.

Some polishing on the brake discs with the Dremel. (Before and after pic.)

IMG_9490.jpg

With the centres. These will be given a wash to bring out the detail.

IMG_9492.jpg

MFH Fuel filters

IMG_9498.jpg

MFH pedals. I will probably finish detailing these tonight.

IMG_9504.jpg

Polished MFH fuel tank filler inlet

IMG_9516.jpg

Detailed with filler cap

IMG_9520.jpg

Tank view ( needs a wash still )

IMG_9529.jpg

MFH seating frame. I'm respraying the seats themselves, the standard red was way too shiny so I've ordered some flat red to redo.

IMG_9503.jpg

And last but not least detailed the two fire extinguishers.

Fujimi ( I made my own decal for this. Still a little wet here )

IMG_9514.jpg

And the lovely little MFH extinguisher ( I added metal banding to finish )

IMG_9489.jpg

IMG_9488.jpg

Nice pleasant afternoon of modelling, listening to new music and drinking tea ;)

Thanks ( again ) for looking in.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

A very nice lot of small bits there Borez.

The size of the fuel filters and pedals look minute.

Looking forward to more.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, yes they are minute. I have a pair of 4x clip-on magnifying glasses that make it all a lot easier though.

• Like 1

Another update before I turn in for the night.

MFH pedals complete

IMG_9534.jpg

The brake fluid reservoirs.

I wanted to give the impression of these being full of fluid and thought about drilling into them and syringing in some colour but thought that was too easy  to go wrong. So instead I decided - as it only needs to appear like there's fluid in them - to use a gold marker on the unseen rear of the bottles and let the light catch it.

The rear

IMG_9539.jpg

And from the front ( worked out quite nicely really )

IMG_9541.jpg

And attached to the front frame.

IMG_9544.jpg

At this point I started to build up the detailing on the front frame.  No time like the present and all that.

In went the lower frame, peddles, extinguisher, floor pan and master cylinders.

IMG_9557.jpg

IMG_9559.jpg

IMG_9561.jpg

And then a test fit of the upper frame. I'll add the steering column and various other bits an pieces before this goes in proper.

IMG_9564.jpg

IMG_9554.jpg

Also a test fit of the side walls. ( everything fitting lovely here, no major problems.  )

IMG_9566.jpg

IMG_9568_1.jpg

All in all a good days progress.

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, injidup said:

Excellent work on the fluid reservoirs!

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Great tip for the master cylinder reservoirs, they really look like they have fluid in them!

Roger 

Thanks guys, yes it worked out quite nicely that one.  :)

I can't say more than what's already been said already just some great work. The reservoirs look great and the little fire extinguishers look amazing especially the mfh one. 

Shaun 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shood23 said:

I can't say more than what's already been said already just some great work. The reservoirs look great and the little fire extinguishers look amazing especially the mfh one. 

Shaun 

Thanks Shaun. The MFH extinguisher is my fave bit at the moment too. I must admit the detail in the MFH kit is superb, even if it is damn frustrating at times.

Unfortunately I'm developing a bloomin' stye in my eye today ( probably from all the spraying and glue fumes over the last few days ) so annoyingly I'm having to take a break from the model. :(

The stye on my eye has cleared up so some work on the cockpit of the Fujimi today.

The renaissance PE pedals are built and installed.

IMG_9587_1.jpg

IMG_9589.jpg

With a test fit of the upper dash and front frame

IMG_9594_1.jpg

The renaissance PE kit also comes with master cylinder replacements but, to be honest, I thought the scale looked wrong compared to the MFH so I haven't used them.

A comparison next to the MFH front end. I still need to scratch some brake fluid reservoirs and a front radiator for the Fujimi. 

IMG_9596.jpg

IMG_9597.jpg

I bought one of theose Molotow chrome paint pens, really nice results on a quick test piece

IMG_9618.jpg

Used it on the fire extinguisher end piece

IMG_9601.jpg

Back to the Fujimi and fitting the seats. The paint on the smaller false seat has crazed a little after I resprayed it flat red. I'm probably going to strip it all back and respray but I also kinda like the effect so I might keep it this way.

The Main seat has not really suffered in the same way. Also a little braided wire on the extinguisher and the battery sprayed white.

IMG_9615.jpg

IMG_9605_1.jpg

And a top down view of the progress on the MFH. The seat is still wet here after a wash.

IMG_9613.jpg

And that's it for this afternoon.

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 5

Looks stunning Borez. 

Glad the stye cleared up on your eye, allows us to see more of your stunning work.

The crazing on the seat looks kinda cool, gives it the look of old, cracked leather.

Gotta get me one of those chrome pens to try, looks really convincing. 

Matt

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, S5 modeller said:

Looks stunning Borez. 

Glad the stye cleared up on your eye, allows us to see more of your stunning work.

The crazing on the seat looks kinda cool, gives it the look of old, cracked leather.

Gotta get me one of those chrome pens to try, looks really convincing. 

Matt

Yeah, I think the crazing makes it look old and worn too, very much on the fence with this right now. I'll give it a couple more days.

And thanks ;)

Edited by Borez

Stunning work mate....absolutely first class in all respects :)

If I may suggest....keep the 'crazing' on the seat....but lessen the depth of the cracks by lightly sanding.

Respect

Ron

• Like 1

1 minute ago, silver911 said:

Stunning work mate....absolutely first class in all respects :)

If I may suggest....keep the 'crazing' on the seat....but lessen the depth of the cracks by lightly sanding.

Respect

Ron

Yes, maybe I'll give that a go Ron. Thanks.

Looking great borez that last shot of the mfh kit from above looks the business, properly grimey in the right places. 

I also have to agree with everyone else the crazed look on the seat does give it a vintage look, similar to what the 917 seats look like at the beaulieu motor museum. 

As well I am sure you are already aware of this but this lower front suspension arms on the fujimi kit are a bugger to get in to place without a few dings to the paint, but as you've modified the floor section you may not run into that problem. 

Shaun 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, shood23 said:

As well I am sure you are already aware of this but this lower front suspension arms on the fujimi kit are a bugger to get in to place without a few dings to the paint, but as you've modified the floor section you may not run into that problem. 

Shaun 

Thanks Shaun, I've test fitted these already, they should slip right in with the split. That was actually one of the reasons for spitting it, so the whole of the front section can be dropped in assembled.

I'll test fit again though just to make sure.

Another small update as I've been busy.

Added the pipe joints to the MFH oil tank.

IMG_9621.jpg

And the same to the Fujimi

IMG_9620.jpg

Same with this tank ( not actually sure what this tank is, I should really look it up )

IMG_9626.jpg

Chromed the filler cap with the Molotow chrome pen. ( love this thing, so handy. I have 6 empty Molotow pens coming my way which I'll fill with paint for minor touch ups. Probably fill a couple with different Mr Metal paints too so I have them on tap for smaller details. )

IMG_9625.jpg

And a test fit with the tanks and cap on the Fujimi.

IMG_9629.jpg

IMG_9632.jpg

And then some additional pipe connectors on the main tank of the MFH

IMG_9635.jpg

IMG_9639.jpg

Same thing on the Fujimi ( still drying here )

IMG_9637.jpg

Connected up the battery.  Again, dabs from the Molotow marker making the connectors.

IMG_9628.jpg

And that's it really, just little details making up the bigger picture.

I'm waiting for some 3mm styrene rod to arrive so I can scratch the fuel filters, some 4 mm for the Fujimi fuel tank inlet and I need to put the racing harnesses into the seats but after that I can think about starting to put all of these pieces together with the rear frame and then drop the engine into the back of the Fujimi proper.

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 4

All looking very nice Borez.

I hope you checked the polarity of the battery leads before fixing them on LOL

Excuse me for asking, but where do you get those  Molotow Pens from?

Simon.

11 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

All looking very nice Borez.

I hope you checked the polarity of the battery leads before fixing them on LOL

Excuse me for asking, but where do you get those  Molotow Pens from?

Simon.

I haven't checked the polarity no. Maybe it'll run in reverse, who knows ;)

Molotow markers are on ebay. They vary wildly in price though so beware. I wouldn't pay more than £7 for the 2mm liquid chrome.

• Like 1