MFH Gulf Porsche 917K 1/24th vs Fujimi Martini Porsche 917K

Borez

4 hours ago, PC2012 said:

Nice work there Borez 😁. Rather you than me though. Looks complicated!

Thanks, it is complicated no doubt. I've just given up on it for the night trying to install a cross brace, it was, for want of a better phrase: doing my head in. Therefore I was becoming impatient and ( I find ) as soon as that starts to happen it's better to walk away and regroup the next day.    :blink:

Edited by Borez

9 hours ago, Borez said:

Therefore I was becoming impatient and ( I find ) as soon as that starts to happen it's better to walk away and regroup the next day. 

Wise words. Especially when working on such expensive stuff. Fist of fury doesn't really matter with an off the shelf Revell kit or the likes. Here... well, better not even imagine.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Borez said:

Thanks, it is complicated no doubt. I've just given up on it for the night trying to install a cross brace, it was, for want of a better phrase: doing my head in. Therefore I was becoming impatient and ( I find ) as soon as that starts to happen it's better to walk away and regroup the next day.    :blink:

Totally agree. After all, it's supposed to be relaxing.. and free from the constraints of a deadline :).  Keep up the good work. Excellent job Borez!

• Like 1

Oh my giddy aunt, what a headache this frame has been.

Basically as per my last test fit I thought I could just slot in the front brace and the steering rod and off we'd go. Not a chance. It just wouldn't fit. Something was clearly wrong with the alignment.

So, apart came the frame, I got rid of the epoxy, re-drilled the holes and had to have a good think about how it would fit and align properly.

So new strategy, I installed the two cross-sections first ( the front brace and the steering rod ) and ended up with this. Complete with blue tack jigs to hold it together overnight whilst the epoxy dried hard. Otherwise it'd just fall apart again.

IMG_4081.jpg

All nicely aligned and cross-braced.

IMG_4090.jpg

Then once dried and with a lot of jigging around I fitted the top frame and you get this. So far so good.

IMG_4104.jpg

But that then has to align perfectly over the already built floor frame

IMG_4103.jpg

And with another round of jigging and frame bending ( in minute increments ) making sure I didn't separate any joints It all finally came together and you get this, which now all fits.

Front legs still need bending in at this point.

IMG_4100.jpg

Top view

IMG_4101.jpg

This all now fits nicely into the lower chassis plate. ( minus the side walls here )

IMG_4109.jpg

This, of course, now breaks down into 3 separate parts for priming and painting. But at least I know they now fit. There's stuff like the pedals, floor pan, brake cylinders, steering column etc etc to go inside this assembly before it'll be finished.

So yeah, when Vinegaroon3 said that the frame fights you all the way ( and that was on the 1/12th version )  I totally know where he's coming from now. If I'd painted this and then tried to assemble the parts it would have been a nightmare.

Anyway, the side arms are now on the rear cage too. There's a lot more to go on this here but I'll be doing that after it's primed and sprayed or I won't be able to get the screws in to join the whole lot up.

IMG_4097_1.jpg

Some of the detail up close. You can see the 1.4mm screw lugs here that will eventually join the back to the front.

Up close you can also see some of the little warps in the frame that make this such a headache to align properly. You'd need to be a surgeon to fully straighten them. And I'm not. ;)

IMG_4088.jpg

And that's it for now really.

Needless to say though this is an incredibly detailed model. I'm really enjoying it ( when I'm not tearing my hair out )

I'm away for the weekend now, the girl is taking me to a posh hotel for my birthday.

Next week I think I'll start having a look at the Fujimi frame.

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

You doing grand Borez.

A lot of people would of given up on this but perseverance has payed off.

Simon. 

Oh believe me Simon, I've had to walk away from this on more than one occasion, that frame was a lesson in frustration. Worth the effort though.

I just did a test fit with the front bodywork too, it all fits nicely.

IMG_4111.jpg

Edited by Borez
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Borez said:

Oh believe me Simon, I've have had to walk away from this on more than one occasion, that frame was a lesson in frustration. Worth the effort though.

I just did a test fit with the front bodywork too, it all fits nicely.

IMG_4111.jpg

After all that jigging around with the frame work I am glad that the body fits OK.

Simon.

• Like 1

Challenging little bleeders these mfh kits aren't they !  I've got a game on with a mclaren at the moment and if I had a pound for every time I've had a little hissy fit and let it be for a bit I'd be able to buy a stash full of their 1/12 kits. 

• Like 1

OK, so for the last couple of days I've been rear frame building on the Fujimi. All scratchbuilt with 1.1 mm Plastruct styrene rod.

Referencing the MFH frame really helped here, but it was basically a lot of precision measuring and cutting. 

First off was the rear truss basic framework. The sides are slightly tapered in to fit into the rear of the car.

IMG_4323.jpg

Then slowing building in the lower end and cross pieces

IMG_4325.jpg

And a quick test fit over the firewall. The resin lug that holds the engine and is part of the firewall was not actually square which is a shame as the bottom of the frame had to bend around it slightly to fit. Not really a problem though.

IMG_4330.jpg

And then adding in the side frames. I used the 1ml 24G syringe pictured to basically drip tiny drops of plastic weld onto the joints once they were taped ( or blu tacked ) down.

Really had to make sure that both the tape and the blu tack didn't dissolve with the plastikweld beforehand or that would have resulted in a real mess.

FTR it doesn't.

IMG_4334.jpg

Then another test fit to make sure the side arms were clearing the decks of the side pods.

IMG_4336.jpg

Then a look at the two tanks on the left hand side pod. One was originally supposed to attach to the firewall but the fixing has now been cut off to accommodate the frame and it'll be free standing. The other tank was flush with the deck and needed an angle cutting under it again to accommodate a cross brace part of the frame. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-23%20at%2018.38.

And then a start on the two frame sides, slowly building them up piece by piece leaving overhangs that can be cut back on the final fitting. Long night here getting this correct.

IMG_4338.jpg

Then a test fit of it all together within the rear of the car with the top ( black ) Fujimi frame

IMG_4341.jpg

All fitting nicely here,

IMG_4340.jpg

And here you can see a test piece of cross brace running under the tank

IMG_4345.jpg

And side view of the opposite frame. Once glued the rear, sides and Fujimi frame will be one piece for priming and painting. minus the very left hand side ( of the picture ) black transkit uprights which will come off to get the engine seated before clamping it in place over the gearbox.

IMG_4348.jpg

All that needs doing now is some cleaning up of plastic weld residue, some extra detailing on the cross braces, the actual gluing of the side frames to the rear frame and Fujimi top frame then priming and painting and we have a completed rear engine cage and frame.

So yeah, some long old scratch building sessions to get this done, but really pleased with how this is coming along. 

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Some fine scratch building there Borez.

Getting it all lined up must of been the hardest bit, square in each azimuth .

Well done mate, a lot better than I could do.

Simon.

It wasn't that bad to be honest Simon, just needed patience. A lot easier than the lining up the MFH frame that's for sure.

• Like 1

I was slowly washing the plastic parts on the MFH at the back end of last week to get it away from the plastic look and more towards a dirtier fiberglass look. Same colour as the Fujimi fiberglass, but just a wash to leave the translucency of the MFH parts.

IMG_4753.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

I'll add some another couple of dark washes over this to bring out the detail. Once I get this to where I want it I can start building up the engine proper.

I did do a test assembly of the rear joined and screwed to the front though the firewall with the engine block in place and then took some test pics but I deleted the the pics by mistake and now it's all dissembled. 

Needless to say it all fits nicely.

And then today has been priming of MFH parts.

IMG_4762.jpg

Lots..

.IMG_4764.jpg

And lots...

IMG_4767.jpg

And lots...

IMG_4758.jpg

IMG_4757.jpg

And lots

IMG_4759.jpg

Of priming

IMG_4770.jpg

Some of these parts I have to turn over to prime the other sides, but a good start on this. Especially for the frame.

Still a load more parts to prime on this kit though. And then there's the bodywork itself.

I'll prime the other sides tomorrow and then I want to make a start on painting the frame which hopefully I'll have done by Wednesday before I go away again on Thurdays for a few days. Once the frame is done I can get it into the chassis then think about joining the front to the back proper before I drop the engine in and start detailing up the model.

So yeah, basically a painting week.

Thanks for looking in :)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

There always seems a lot of parts to prime at first Borez.

But, once done it does show up any faults/blemishes to be sorted before continuing with painting.

Take it safe.

Simon. 

Very true, hopefully ( as these are all white metal parts ) I've already got rid of most of the faults. Be interesting to see though.

So many parts in the MFH kit though, superb detailing on them too.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 1