Airfix HP Victor B.mk2 (BS) .. a first impression and comparison

meindert

victor-box-airfix.jpg 

airf-nose.jpg

An extensive review of the new Airfix HP Victior B.2(BS) has been published on the IPMS Nederland website.

Check out our English language report at:

http://www.ipms.nl/artikelen/recensies/vliegtuigen-militair/2474-airfix-hp-victor-engels.html

We have also made a comparison with that good old Matchbox kit.

Merry Christmas from IPMS Nederland!

Meindert de Vreeze

Edited by meindert
added pics
  • Like 16

On 12/20/2016 at 10:55 AM, meindert said:

victor-box-airfix.jpg 

airf-nose.jpg

An extensive review of the new Airfix HP Victior B.2(BS) has been published on the IPMS Nederland website.

Check out our English language report at:

http://www.ipms.nl/artikelen/recensies/vliegtuigen-militair/2474-airfix-hp-victor-engels.html

We have also made a comparison with that good old Matchbox kit.

Merry Christmas from IPMS Nederland!

Meindert de Vreeze

IMO, this is how a review SHOULD be done! Straight to the point, very clear photos, no hyperbole and a detailed parts description with reference drawings used but not slavishly relied on (measured with their eyes and measuring tools). Great job IMPS Nederlands!

Edited by Don McIntyre
Typo issues
  • Like 8

I too agree, a great review with a refreshing outlook that is open, honest and to the point. 

Looks to be a very impressive kit which will hopefully sell well and pave the way for a new tooled Vulcan in the near future. 

Cheers.. Dave

1 hour ago, Greenshirt said:

I'm curious...does the kit provide for in-flight display and if so, is a crew included?

No and no.  The instructions also don't provide a gear up option either, but the gear bays do fit the holes.

I'm building one wheels up, and will design a stand for it for 3d printing.

Thanks. My question is due to space. None on the shelf so I could hang it or put it on a stick and set it out on a table if the missus allows. I suspect I can fudge the crew facing aft, but the two facing forward...I need to source modern pilots who can sit in an ejection seat. 

Unless there just just isn't enough to see?

Edited by Greenshirt

2 hours ago, RichardPrice said:

I'm building one wheels up, and will design a stand for it for 3d printing.

It does give an option for a stand (with ref number), mounts in the Blue Steel missile underside.

Could always do it in take off or landing configuration, nice flap and air brake options there.

I always keep a stash of Matchbox pilots as they look the best to me, will have a look out for some spares.

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

It does give an option for a stand (with ref number), mounts in the Blue Steel missile underside.

Could always do it in take off or landing configuration, nice flap and air brake options there.

I always keep a stash of Matchbox pilots as they look the best to me, will have a look out for some spares.

Airfix stands are flipping terrible though, I have a few in the attic, should bin them.  

Main issue is lack of height - by 3d printing, I can "stack" aircraft vertically in a cabinet without the bother of a shelf...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichardPrice said:

Main issue is lack of height - by 3d printing, I can "stack" aircraft vertically in a cabinet without the bother of a shelf...

Do you have an example I could see online (one of the 3D printing repositories)?  Great idea, by the way.

I think I may have stumbled on something and 'hopefully' I am the one in the wrong!! 

Q. Is the all white Victor XL512 as provided in the Airfix decal sheet actually correct? 

I've just been looking at my various photos of these early B.2's  and have noticed something different with the outer wing leading edges. From what I can tell the kit has some rather extended leading edges from about the mid span level to the wing tip, where photos of XL512 show this to be a straight edge from wing root to tip? 

I think Dennis (sloegin57) may have eluded to this in an earlier post however having now studied the photos I think I now know what he means. 

I dont wish to disappoint anyone however building this scheme OOB 'may' not be 100% correct. 

Once again I truly hope that I'm the one in the wrong.. 

Cheers.. Dave

Edited by Rabbit Leader
member name correction

• 3 weeks later...

Hi for all that want to know more about this question.....

the discussion is seen in this thread..

See posts dated around December 29, 2016

Thanks for all info supplied, and indeed the Airfix kit scheme looks correct as the XL512 was also modified to B2.R standard and even later on into a K2 tanker!

• Like 1

A very well-written article, and answers many questions that i had. Also confirms that for its time (1983) The Matchbox Victor was reasonably accurate, shape wise. Just a lot more detail work needed to bring it up to contemporary standards, that's all.

-d-

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all fellow modellers!

Thank You for all your responses. Share (uncensorsed) information for a better World, and ...

Happy modelling!

Meindert

from Amsterdam

Oh Yeah...... also please visit my personal (> 17th year anniversary) website with over 275 modelling projects at: 

https://designer.home.xs4all.nl/models/models.htm

Edited by meindert
  • Like 2