Kitty Hawk Jaguar GR1... Take two...

RMP2

This one almost beat me, really annoyed me at times and it was put away while I relaxed a bit and failed to finish something else. :D

But its back. And it had better behave itself this time, although the majority of the faffing and grief is over with, so in theory it should be pretty straight forward... he says...

Previous (long winded) build thread is here:

And here is where I am right now.

P1110364%20Large.jpg

P1110365%20Large.jpg

P1110366%20Large.jpg

P1110367%20Large.jpg

How hard can it be?

Edited by RMP2
I forgot the link...
  • Like 1

A small update.

Slats, main U/C doors and a few other bits went on today. What Im finding with whats left to stick on it is that although every part needs a fettle/good grind to make fit, it means that a very good fit can be got unlike if the parts were too small, any issue with fit is therefore my fault. Thats my logic anyway.

I must say the main gear door have the best fit of any doors i have ever come across, requiring a tiny swipe with a sanding stick and dropping into place. Most unusual for gear doors to fit in the closed position and a nice relief.

The slats looked too big to me and Ive cut about 1.5mm off the inboard edge, feathered out to nothing at the outboard ends as thats a bit better I reckon.

Anyway. Pics.

Off cut from the other slat shown above the uncut version.

P1110369%20Large.jpg

It didnt seem very nose heavy, cant remember if I weighted the nose or not, so snuck some bits of lead into the nose U/C bay as the doors below will be closed and hide it. Brakes are blutacked in place and I think theres work required there, need to check photos of the brake recess.

P1110370%20Large.jpg

What a lovely fit! :)
P1110371%20Large.jpg

Now, avionics bays open or closed...? Hmm. I have two more KH Jags to build, so could leave that to the other/s? Dunno yet.

P1110372%20Large.jpg

Overall Im getting a better vibe from this kit now. I know the score with it and Im getting use of my files, sand paper and sanding sticks. As I say, parts are fitting well so far with a bit of work, to the point they click into place and Tamiya thin can do the rest.

Something of a relieved post this one!

As hugely popular as this resurrection appears to be, I have to stop now.

Everything is done that can sensibly be done, but I dont have the masks that I thought I did for the canopy. Doh. So they are on order and the build is on pause, carefully put away in the cabinet and patiently waiting.

P1110374%20Large.jpg

Which means... time to drag another off the Doom shelf and see if that can be done before the masks arrive.... Yknow, I think it was on the radio that I heard "An optimist is merely a pessimist who doesnt yet have all the facts..." :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Masks arrived.
If Id paid attention and realised theyre not the 2 stage jobbies that make the thin screen to frame seals then I wouldnt have bothered and saved almost a tenner. Live n learn.

More alcohol and new year to deal with then back at it. I think Im actually bored of drinking now, almost immune in fact, cant be a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dont you just love a bit of "inverse camo" masking.... DOH!! So thats both stabilisers need repainting... Im blaming the dog, just because...

P1110450%20Large.jpg

A quick look had me worried the colours were too dark, but a quick and gentle micro-mesh on the recce pod showed it will lighten a bit with a polish so all good I think. Just need it to harden up properly before I can move on really.

P1110452%20Large.jpg

Omani is 99% painted, sensory bits left only I think.

• Like 2