Fairey Barracuda

I got this a couple of weeks ago and although I've lots of things on the stocks, a few KUTAs, a Wessex, a Fulmar to photograph and my 'Find the Bismark' Maryland. I couldn't resist starting it. I've also got another but a double start is probably too much.

IMG_1514_zpsl1awdsxi.jpg

There are a lot of well moulded parts, no resin or etch, and markings for two Operation Tungsten birds, one form 829 squadron and one from 830. More later on but I do like the box top illustration with Furious and Victorious in the background. Mind you torpedoes weren't used against the Tripitz.

Edited by 825
  • Like 7

By the time the Barra came along torpedo attacks were pretty much a thing of the past, so though it wa a theoretical load, I don't think anyone ever used it in anger.  The Barra made a pretty nifty dive bimber, though - at least, it did once they'd sorted out the issue with the wings falling off.

• Like 3

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:29 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

By the time the Barra came along torpedo attacks were pretty much a thing of the past, so though it wa a theoretical load, I don't think anyone ever used it in anger.  The Barra made a pretty nifty dive bimber, though - at least, it did once they'd sorted out the issue with the wings falling off.

Luckily, this release of the Barracuda comes with the 1600lb. AP bomb.

Chris

I got quite interested in the history of the Swordfish, and therefore developed a bit of an interest in the Albacore & Barracuda as its intended and actual replacements. I'll be following along, quite fancy one of these.

On 20/12/2016 at 1:29 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That's with the benefit of hindsight.  When it entered service there were still several German capital ships around not to mention the Japanese.  Also, as the Swordfish proved, not all torpedo attacks were against major warships.  Although eventually lacking opportunities in the role, I believe that the Barracuda did carry out at least one successful anti-shipping strike against German traffic along the Norwegian coast.

50 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I believe that the Barracuda did carry out at least one successful anti-shipping strike against German traffic along the Norwegian coast.

The Warpaint volume on the Barracuda, page 30, mentions 16 strikes along the Norwegian coast in 1944. A  couple of aircraft were apparently loaded with torpedoes on each raid, the remainder with bomb load-outs.

The Profile publication on the Barracuda rather contradicts this by saying, in passing, that 16 torpedo armed aircraft only took part in two strikes at this time on the Norwegian coast.

Given the more detailed accounts (and dates) in the Warpaint volume, I'm more inclined to believe it.

Tony

• Like 2

I'll be putting the 1600 lb bomb on. Mind you the torpedo is a nice little representation considering it's injection moulded. Anyhow here are the sprues

IMG_1508_zpstfyfsvpw.jpg

IMG_1510_zpsbvi4uxzv.jpg

IMG_1507_zpsxzpcv8gg.jpg

You can see my lack of patience. Or is it a good start?

Nicely printed instructions.

IMG_1512_zps7ybuuilr.jpg

And markings for two aircraft along with a bundle of stencils. Also the transparencies are crisp and clear.

IMG_1511_zpszhrdzvbe.jpg

• Like 6

Stop it man, I narrowly got away with sneaking a Chinook past SWMBO this week. If any more boxes turn up I may be at the receiving end of a dive-bombing of my own.

In all seriousness, looks like a great little kit. What is the other aircraft option if I can ask?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ragtag said:

Stop it man, I narrowly got away with sneaking a Chinook past SWMBO this week. If any more boxes turn up I may be at the receiving end of a dive-bombing of my own.

In all seriousness, looks like a great little kit. What is the other aircraft option if I can ask?

So far it's only two Operation Tungsten options, one an 829 ship from Victorious and the other an 830 ship from Furious. Both pretty much the same. I have a later Griffon engined Mark IV (I think) build tucked away somewhere that I think is also Special Hobby (though if I recall it had a fair amount of resin in it). It is probably 10 years old or more. I suspect that SH will probably do a few more variations as they are wont to do. A Pacific Fleet option would be nice as would an EDSG over Skyi post war livery, if the Mk I lasted to that.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Apologies for the delay on this one. It's been sitting waits for work to be done. A lot of paint has gone on, as I want to minimise masking, and here is what it looks like now.  

IMG_1669_zpsbuducyjb.jpg

I have Started on the cockpit and boxing in the undercarriage wells but no photos yet.

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 19:18, dogsbody said:

Luckily, this release of the Barracuda comes with the 1600lb. AP bomb.

Chris

Hello Dears,

Oh really, that's fine because that bomb is not in the 1/48 issue.

I bought it from Accaurate miniature.

Corsaircorp

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of work on the interior done a little time ago. And took photos, but forgot to stick them up. 

IMG_1687_zpsufthuaks.jpg

IMG_1689_zpsnaxjcwif.jpg

Hopefully get some time this weekend

• Like 5

Mind how you go with that headrest on the pilot's seat 825 - mine was off and on again more times than a Kardashian on Twitter. If you're going for the bomb option, the kit cradle for it is considerably  unlike the real thing - the IWM have some excellent reference photos of bombing-up for the Tirpitz raids in their photographic collections here that might help?

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=barracuda

Tony

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Mind how you go with that headrest on the pilot's seat 825 - mine was off and on again more times than a Kardashian on Twitter. If you're going for the bomb option, the kit cradle for it is considerably  unlike the real thing - the IWM have some excellent reference photos of bombing-up for the Tirpitz raids in their photographic collections here that might help?

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=barracuda

Tony

Thanks Tony, great photographs in here.

• 3 months later...

This build has been sitting at the side for a few months as I finished the DH and Made in the GB group builds (and a few other things). However, I finished the GB group build Chippy and did some more work on this. I did add the fuselage glazing last weekend when I was on a glazing run but I've pretty much finished the interior. I brush painted as per the instructions but gave everything a dry brush with Revell Aluminium which ha she brought the detail out well. I do think that the pilot's seat could do with some seat belts so tomorrow I'll dive into the stash.

resized_48b51ef9-a9ca-4040-a849-7aad5d63

resized_a36ce6d7-3a52-44c9-b00d-abfe4161

resized_8d3f52cb-ac4e-4ceb-b95c-993bcb6a

resized_8199c8fd-b26c-4e4b-bc4b-fb7430be

• Like 7

On 08/08/2017 at 8:08 AM, CedB said:

Nice work on the internals :) 

Thanks Ced. 

Fuselage closed set up but some filler needed. Not much but a little. 

resized_0bb2f1c6-a832-4670-8c10-fdcfe370

resized_85db5872-9258-4651-9d5c-04dfecb0

resized_6454ed16-79fa-4078-a112-968b54ce

resized_732e2589-a466-4610-8b88-8ef6cd30

Cleaned up not too bad and arrestor hook fitting added

resized_dc0ba984-7668-49cc-95b1-5666730c

• Like 4

The front end is not a good fit. A lot of fettling needed to get here, still a bit to go. 

resized_11299174-ff7f-4562-b9e4-ad88b202

Wings assembled too, one needed some trimming of the undercarriage bay but otherwise fine. 

resized_7c4854b8-0b4e-435d-9ddd-787913e8

• Like 6