Sea Harreir driver flight gear info

Pappy

G'day people,

I want to paint up a SHAR driver circa 1982 (Falklands). I have had a trawl through the internets and most of the imagery is black and white, so a bit hard to determine correct colours. I am hoping for some nice colour pics of the flight gear.

My questions are specifically:

Helmet: Dark green with black liner? I assume they all had the taped "+" on the outside? What colour were the various helmet fittings (chin strap, visor stops etc) on the outside?

Oxy mask/hose/PEC: It looks like a black face mask and hose but this could also be a dark green?

Life Vest: A variation on green?

Gloves: Light grey or white?

Boots: Black?

cheers,

Pappy

Hi, Pappy.  I've no pics of SHAR pilots, but this is typical of a GR3 pilot in the same timescale.  SHAR would have added an immersion suit (typically dark green with black taped seams/zip).  Note the taped over high-vis marks on the helmet.  Gloves could be white or green - at least initially.  White ones did not stay that way long.

crop0083_zpsn5opt1ep.jpg

Regards

Tim

G'day fellas,

Thanks very much for the reply.  reference black cloth visor covers,was this always fixed to the helmet or was this removed completely when not required?

cheers,

Pappy

The velveteen cover remained attached. You scrunched it down to cover the gap between the visors and the helmet to give you some degree of protection from 'MDC Splatter' should you have to eject. Later (mid/late 1980s) a plastic bar was added to fill the gap

WRT flying gloves, the cape leather type were white (the green ones used in RAFG were gradually removed from service because the Groundcrew had difficulty seeing the pilot's hand signals), however the Immersion Gloves remained dark green.

The photo of the GR3 pilot is post Falklands because that's a later helmet. In 1982 the issue helmet was the Mk3B as in Dave's photo's.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ascoteer said:

The velveteen cover remained attached. You scrunched it down to cover the gap between the visors and the helmet to give you some degree of protection from 'MDC Splatter' should you have to eject. Later (mid/late 1980s) a plastic bar was added to fill the gap

WRT flying gloves, the cape leather type were white (the green ones used in RAFG were gradually removed from service because the Groundcrew had difficulty seeing the pilot's hand signals), however the Immersion Gloves remained dark green.

The photo of the GR3 pilot is post Falklands because that's a later helmet. In 1982 the issue helmet was the Mk3B as in Dave's photo's.

Thanks very much Ascoteer, that was a very useful and concise post,

cheers,

Pappy

On 12/21/2016 at 4:07 AM, Pappy said:

Pictures or I don't believe you!

cheers,

Pappy

Have a look in Sharkey Ward's book.

Made aboard ship on the voyage south. There are a few photos in the book which show the pilots wearing them.

10 hours ago, hairystick said:

Have a look in Sharkey Ward's book.

Made aboard ship on the voyage south. There are a few photos in the book which show the pilots wearing them.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ZOqSvcs1Tg1l6kBIB6cvS0x5tOIM6gss3z0VwzIRpsTLYDf6JXjFrXITW-LKJdKv8ZqLDUXzsYWhnA=w1800-h1125-no

Edited by Dave Fleming

On 12/22/2016 at 3:10 AM, Dave Fleming said:

That is a superb photo!

I'm even appreciating the roundel paintwork where the white has been covered over (but remains faintly evident).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

G'day Dave,

That is a very good quality version of the photo in the book I think? Would I be correct in assuming that the pistol holster was worn over the flight suit but under the immersion suit?

cheers,

Pappy

6 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

The pic is from Sharkey ward's Google + page. I think it was worn under the immersion suit

I agree,

Thank you everyone that replied,

cheers,

Pappy

Hi everyone,

For the record, the pilot in the upper of Dave's two photos is Lt Clive Morrell (aka Spag... as in spaghetti morelli!) while Flt Lt Dave Morgan is in the lower image.  (Ranks given as in 1982.)

Pappy, I'll be in direct contact in reply to your question via messenger soon...

Cheers

Nick