I was looking for a 'figures chat' and couldn't find such a thing so if this is really in the wrong place then mods please move.

I've been laid up for the past 6 weeks  and have lost interest in the production line in the workshop however 'Mrs Plastix' planted the seed with her builds and 'Spaddad' dug the hole by sending me a T-rex kit.

So starting in the New Year (deliberately vague!) I plan to build her according to new research which says she had feathers.

Has anybody got references to this research as readily available stuff is a bit lacking in detail /

Richard

• Like 2

8 hours ago, spaddad said:

Hi Rich,

at what point did she become she?

Complete role reversal Dave!

Usually the male has the most colour (esp in birds) so I decided that Miss T-Rex was going to be quite different .The males were a bit thin on the ground so the females did all the prancing around stuff.

Never have been able to do something straight out of box so why change ?

Richard

• Like 1

On 20/12/2016 at 6:00 PM, Scimitar said:

Christian, Britmodeller's tame(ish) Palaeontologist has probably turned to drink after looking at this!

I think he already has after all the questions that I have posed !! Great that you've got the Dino bug... Which kit is it? I'm going to eventually get around to building my T-Rex diorama, once I finish my little Japanese bulldozer  ... 

Hope you are back to fully fit now and I look forward to nicking all your ideas in the New Year ☺

• Like 1

On 27/12/2016 at 9:39 AM, Mrs PlaStix said:

Which kit is it?

Happy New Year Mrs P (and Mr P of course)

Spaddad sent me a partially started kit so I don't know which one.

I don't know about you nicking my ideas though..a total beginner as far as dinosaurs go.

I think that I would be lynched if I was to paint her extra dark sea grey on top and white underneath..mind you she could wear a yellow and black checked scarf :whistle:

Richard

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Happy New Year Mrs P (and Mr P of course)

Spaddad sent me a partially started kit so I don't know which one.

I don't know about you nicking my ideas though..a total beginner as far as dinosaurs go.

I think that I would be lynched if I was to paint her extra dark sea grey on top and white underneath..mind you she could wear a yellow and black checked scarf :whistle:

Richard

Many thanks, and the same to you and yours! I'd pay good money to see a T Rex like that! - I know what you mean about being a total beginner in something... my first AFV has meant attempting to learn a whole new skill set totally different to Dinos! I'm even trying a small human driver, terrifying stuff!. :unsure:

• Like 1

As all of my guests have gone and my good lady is having an early night I decided to potter about with some T-Rex planning.

I will start a proper WIP soon as I fix the photobucket issues I'm having      ( See Fruitbat thread in Chat)

The kit is Tamiya's and I propose to make some changes (never could do SOOB)

I don't like the skin detail and as she is going to be feathered should I fill it or get out a grinder and sand it all off?

I may lengthen her neck and tail and as for those silly arms..have no idea about them

On 01/01/2017 at 3:04 PM, Mrs PlaStix said:

I'd pay good money to see a T Rex like that!

Since your cheque is in the post..watch this space  :devil:    

Richard

• Like 1

Hi Scimitar

You say you have Tamiyas Rex - but which one. The Educational Prehistoric Diorama Set are very good (I've got a pair being built on this part of the forum) but if you have their original model then you have a serious challenge on your hands. The old kit looks more like a 1970's Dr Who / BBC costumes department puffer suited job on a seriously bad day in black and white. There are some good links on the forum logged by the brave modellers who have built the old kit and made some life saving changes to it but it does need a lot of hard work.

If you want to build a decent Rex at relatively low cost, run a search for "Jurassic Park Dinosaur T-REX Tyrannosaurus 11inch Vinyl Plastic Model Kit" on that big 4 lettered online auction site and you can pick up some really decent vinyl remoulds of the old Horizon kits that were based on the Stan Winston Film models which are quite splendid and take about 2 weeks to reach the UK without any import duty

Highly recommended and a great sized kit - or you could invest big money on the old 1/20 Kaiyodo Dinoland models which are stunning.

Good luck with the build - John

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gimme Shelter said:

The old kit looks more like a 1970's Dr Who / BBC costumes department puffer suited job on a seriously bad day in black and white.

That's a very good description.....Here's mine OOTB in it's full Godzilla goodness: 

I'd definitely recommend looking for their diorama series kit rather than this thing.  ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

Good luck with the build - John

Thanks John..I'll need it as this is all uncharted  dino territory for me and also a first WIP.

I am not being too serious here as you will see later!

This all started because I was admiring Mrs P's work and Spaddad stoked the fires by sending me the model in an attempt to get me out of the doldrums after a period of illness.

Richard

• Like 1

OK. Here is what I have to start with:

DSCN0184_zpsylxohg6g.jpg

Especially for Mrs Plastix (who has written that she'd pay money to see it :D) this is how she might have looked en-route to the 803 Naval Air Squadron happy hour.(She was the Squadron mascot) You will note that I didn't waste any EDSG paint.

DSCN0190_zps3g7qrxbh.jpg

• Like 7

Fantastic!!!  :D Cheque in post - well, I'll donate a fiver to our local Air Ambulance..

I'm afraid I couldn't face trying to sort out the early Tamiya T Rex so I ordered the T Rex diorama from Japan, it's definitely better as John's wonderful build demonstrates. I'd just create a bit of a retro Sci Fi  diorama and pop him (or her) in with whatever modifications you fancy - keep the scarf though! or have yellow and black feathers? :hmmm:

• Like 1

So,whilst the Airfix Victor looks longingly at me,I resist and continue with this 'fun' thing (don't dare to call it a build yet and no way will she compete with the real builds on here)

I am open to ideas as to what to do with the skin..Fill it or run an electric sander over it?

She will have skin showing on the legs but of a smoother texture and the feathered body will need a smooth starting point

Richard

• Like 1

Hi Scimitar and Mrs P

We really do need a Prehistoric section just for us on the forum don't we!

I'm updating my Brachio posting today - here's the pond wader I made last night (you can't believe how much mess my dremel made cutting off Brachio number 7's legs and lower belly

DSCF6502_zpsvhapapr8.jpg

Keep up the stirling prehistoric work on old Rexy Mr Scimitar

John

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Gimme Shelter said:

its highly recommended for your build.

Thanks John

I had planned this as a quick fun build to get me out of a rut and back into the workshop and already you lot have got me into TBMDDOOB mode! (Typical Britmodeller Doesn't Do Out Of Box)

As she will be displaying all her finery I too will be modding the head and probably the tail.

Unfortunately not too well today so not able to climb ladder to workshop but hope to start the serious (really!) work tomorrow.

Richard

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Thanks John

I had planned this as a quick fun build to get me out of a rut and back into the workshop and already you lot have got me into TBMDDOOB mode! (Typical Britmodeller Doesn't Do Out Of Box)

As she will be displaying all her finery I too will be modding the head and probably the tail.

Unfortunately not too well today so not able to climb ladder to workshop but hope to start the serious (really!) work tomorrow.

Richard

Hi Richard, hope you feel better soon - glad we just use the kitchen for kit building, warm, cosy and easily tidied! I would be a menace on a ladder!!  BTW "serious work" - what's that? :rofl:

Do you think we could get enough bodies together for a 'Dinosaur STGB' (or perhaps Cretaceous/Jurassic etc. STGBs)?  :hmmm:

I know it would be pushing the definitions to the max, but I think we might get away with it.....I think it's probably safe to say that there has been some discreet official encouragement for 'GBs Of A Different Colour':coolio:

42 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Do you think we could get enough bodies together for a 'Dinosaur STGB

My Airfix Victor and 544 others tell me that I've not even to think about this!

Have to admit I'd be tempted to do a pterosaur of some sort.

Richard