Trickyrich’s Flugzeugwerke

trickyrich

Well it’s had to say if it’s been a really productive year or not, tough as usual with GB’s make up most of the production as usual. While there were 2 DNF GB’s (plus the SM.79, which sort of doesn’t count) I did manage to do a couple double builds and almost a triple build! Plus for this year everything was 1/48th except for the Focke Wulf!

Side projects unfortunately remained side projects, with a couple more added!! But I’m happy to say in these last few days of this year I’ve managed      to start a couple stalled builds are almost completed, so maybe 2 more to add to this years tally!?!?

Well these first two will be very familiar to some, these were from 2015, but they picked up a couple of awards this year on another site, including “Top Gun Award” which is their model of the year award! My best modeling achievement….well forever!!!! I’m still pretty stunned at that!!

DSCF4243_zpsrp1m7i93.jpg

DSCF4244-a_zpsx2wnk6gd.jpg

Martin B-51G Panther Tropic Moon III wt Pave Gat

DSCF4247_zpsmphip8sh.jpg

DSCF4246-a_zpstktc0lxj.jpg

Arado Ar-234P5 Swept-winged Turboprop Nightfighter

Ok first of this years builds:

1/48th Brazilian P-47D-25 (completed 1st March)

I wanted something completely different for this build, so while I holidays I came up with a colour scheme, ordered all the bits before I’d done any real research! To which I got it completely wrong, so sort of as a last minute choice came up with this. And to be honest I’m so glad I did, the history behind these aircraft and their pilots is amazing. I do so happy with the results and I do hope I did them justice!

DSCF3053_zpsvcs6fg2g.jpg

DSCF3055_zps1syglnxs.jpg

1/48th FAA Corsair II (completed 9th April)

Originally planned as an OBB, but as so often the case for me this went a wee bit over board with AM bits!! It was an enjoyable build even if I did give myself some unwarranted grief with the paint job!

DSCF3150_zpsipushu5k.jpg

DSCF3161_zpsppzxidwd.jpg

Now the first of the double up builds, this was for the 80’s NATO vs Warsaw Pact GB. This was the first time I tried a double build, to make it easy on myself (yeah right!) I used the same model, a pair of old OEZ Su-7’s, still the most accurate around.

Ok I had two of these in my stash and thought why not! I had planned to build one as an OOB model and the other a full AM beast! But in the end it was a sort of mix!

1/48th Suhkoi Su-7BKL Fitter A's (completed 4th July & 2nd August)

The first build was a Czechoslovakian aircraft that was going to have the full AM kit plus whatever extras were required! These extras were a total rebuild of the main gear wheel wells, nose gear, and wing fences, plus all the AM stuff.

DSCF3469_zpst4hm3qd2.jpg

DSCF3473_zpsfimyzjga.jpg

The second build was to be a simpler build, but I ended up added a lot of the mods from the first build. This also had a pilot added plus some added extra bits. Overall both of these builds were really enjoyable and the end products…..I just was so happy with both!

DSCF3669%20-%20modified_zpshl1uiazj.jpg

DSCF3650%20-%20modified_zpsk3gra1b3.jpg

DSCF3663_zpse6n4xypi.jpg

1/32nd Focke Wulf Ta-152H-1 (completed 25th September)

This was almost a fantasy build for me, I had for so long wanted to build a Zoukei-Mura model. It had almost been my dream build! But unfortunately reality stepped in and it was quite a difficult build! Plus I went for the full AM kit which made things so much worse!! It was the second model they produced and sort of showed it! I was expecting a TamiGawa model, but this one required you to be EXACT in how you fitted and glued things….which with AM stuff that didn’t quiet fit cause issues! That said I’m happy with the results and do look forward to having a go with one of there later releases……the new Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu “Nick”!!!

DSCF3906_zpssoimmuwk.jpg

DSCF3918_zpsiasixvsr.jpg

Next was Mediterranean Theatre of Operations (MTO) WWII GB, this was the second double up build for the year and almost became a triple build! What started out as a single build quickly became a double then triple build (and nearly a Quad build!!!)!

1/32nd Macchi C.205 "Veltro” (completed 8th November)

I had had this model for a while and thought it’d be perfect for this build. Even though it was a resin model it should be a nice simple build! Well it wasn’t quite…….

DSCF4075_zpscahyfikt.jpg

DSCF4078_zpsiniac0ez.jpg

1/48th Macchi C.205 "Veltro" (completed 4th December)

I’d gotten so much into the groove with the first build I knew I had to build another, so instead of building a C.202 I had in the stash I got another C.205 and added lots of PE including the incredible Yahu Instrument Panel! 

DSCF4161%20-%20BampW_zpskletyggh.jpg

DSCF4167_zps3yknsxpe.jpg

Well that’s it, not the most productive year but I’m very happy with what I’ve built and learnt. Next year is looking to be a huge one with a very full calendar! Have a completely remodeled workspace on the dungeon, courtesy of an early Christmas present from my wife. I’m going to build a new spray booth and sort put the lighting for my photos. Plus just to throw a huge spanner in the build year a possible 12 week trip on a Gas Platform!!!! Plus to top it all off I’ll hopefully be launching my new website early next year as well!

• Like 15

1 hour ago, SimonT said:

All very nice indeed. That 234 is spectacular, is there a wip for it?

I have added the link for both of them, glad you liked it. There was quite a bit of work involved but it was an enjoyable build.

It's the C.205s for me. Scrolling slowly down, I came to the black and white shot of the second build and thought 'aha, that'll be the source picture for his next build then' only to find it WAS the build! Brilliant. Especially like the paintwork with the different colour wings and fuselage. Was that quite common or was it the unusual that drew you to that particular aircraft? AND is there a WIP for it??!

32 minutes ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

It's the C.205s for me. Scrolling slowly down, I came to the black and white shot of the second build and thought 'aha, that'll be the source picture for his next build then' only to find it WAS the build! Brilliant. Especially like the paintwork with the different colour wings and fuselage. Was that quite common or was it the unusual that drew you to that particular aircraft? AND is there a WIP for it??!

Thanks for the comments, I don't know what originally got me into building the Macchi's, I'd never built any Italian aircraft before even though I had a few in the stash. I just really liked the look of the Macchi so after I had build her big brother I knew I had to build another. I still have a C.202 in the stash for another time.

Oh and the wings are the same colour as the fuselage, it's just poor lighting, I really do need to fix that up!!

The WIP link is just above the first photo of her.

26 minutes ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

Erm, probably my eyes rather than your lighting! Going to check that WIP now. I have a couple of Yahoo panels for my 1/48 Spitfire and Hurricane...they do look gorgeous!

They are the best around....you just need to remember to remove the backing from them...I forgot (well actually didn't realise they had to be removed! :doh:), which caused me some fit issues. Plus the tiny pre-drilled holes for all the handles and levers...prefect!

7 hours ago, jrlx said:

Really impressive builds!  Congrats :clap2:

I especially liked the P-47s, the Mig 21 and the ta-152.

Cheers

Jaime

thanks for that, though I think you may have meant Su-7. Those Fitters (Su-7/17/20/22 family) have to be some of my favourite aircraft, I still have two more Su-17/22's to build, may be building one of them next year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

thanks for that, though I think you may have meant Su-7. Those Fitters (Su-7/17/20/22 family) have to be some of my favourite aircraft, I still have two more Su-17/22's to build, may be building one of them next year.

You're right regarding the Su-7, of course. I didn't notice the legend to the pictures and thought it was a Mig-21. It's an impressive aircraft on all accounts, and you made it justice with your superb build and finish!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

you need to build an Suhkoi, they've so much fun, and while the base model is quite old ( but accurate) it does lend itself  perfectly to adding bits and pieces and modifying. If it wasn't so much fun to build I don't think I'd get as carried away with them as I had. The next ones I hope to take even further in the modification area! Only because no ones bothered to do an updated or new model of what is a important aircraft type of its time!

• Like 1

On 23/12/2016 at 05:45, trickyrich said:

you need to build an Suhkoi, they've so much fun, and while the base model is quite old ( but accurate) it does lend itself  perfectly to adding bits and pieces and modifying. If it wasn't so much fun to build I don't think I'd get as carried away with them as I had. The next ones I hope to take even further in the modification area! Only because no ones bothered to do an updated or new model of what is a important aircraft type of its time!

I'd certainly like to build one or more but my scale is 1/72. It seems there are several Su-7...-22 family models by Modelsvit and Mistercraft in 1/72.  Do you know these kits?  Are they worth a try? 

Cheers

Jaime 

3 hours ago, jrlx said:

I'd certainly like to build one or more but my scale is 1/72. It seems there are several Su-7...-22 family models by Modelsvit and Mistercraft in 1/72.  Do you know these kits?  Are they worth a try? 

Cheers

Jaime 

I really don't know, I suspect they would be the same quality as as these larger 1/48th beasties. I wouldn't expect Tamygawa quality, they'd require a little bit of extra work, but for that you do get something a bit dfferent. Good old fashion Soviet era "heavy metal"!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I really don't know, I suspect they would be the same quality as as these larger 1/48th beasties. I wouldn't expect Tamygawa quality, they'd require a little bit of extra work, but for that you do get something a bit dfferent. Good old fashion Soviet era "heavy metal"!

I'll end up buying a few. I'm sure :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Beware the lure of Mistercraft! They look reasonable and cheap on the runners, but they are pigs to put together to produce a decent model. I've a Su-22 that I started, wrestled with and had to stop as I realised the canopy was totally the wrong size for the model...

• Like 1