Uncle Navy Bird's Complete Waste of Time 2016

Navy Bird

Hi mates,

Last year I only managed to complete four models, just dreadful. I did a little better this year mainly due to my chemo regimen getting a bit easier. I'm now in full maintenance mode and the specific batch of chemicals doesn't seem to knock me down so much. I think I would have done even more this past year if it wasn't for the arrival of grandchild number four (the first boy!) and the other grandchildren advancing to the point where you can have a sort of conversation with them. Plus it's so cute when my granddaughter comes over and the first thing she does is go to my Keurig machine and make me a cup of Joe. Sweet kid! 

So here are the 2016 completions - could 2017 bring even more? If wifey doesn't sell off the stash! 

1:72 Fairey Firefly TT.4 (completed in February 2016)

Special Hobby

Technically this one was started at the end of 2015 along with its sister FR.1. I had a momentary lapse of reason on this one, and decided it would be a good idea to fold the wings. Arghhh! Nobody in their right mind ever builds a model of Fairey aircraft with folded wings. I mean, whoever was in charge of wing-folding at Fairey was clearly in charge of the Spanish Inquisition ("Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"). 

The link above will take you to the RFI page where you can see more photos, a list of all the corrections and additions that were made, plus a link to the WIP.

100_6897

100_6903

100_6899

100_6934

1:72 Northrop F-89J Scorpion (completed in March 2016)

Revell

This one came out of left field - a mojo restorer that just kind of happened while I was working on the Sea Venom. I was stuck in my usual paralysis by analysis mode when I decided that I really needed to finish a kit. I was home alone for the weekend, so I pulled this off of the shelf of doom where it had languished for a couple of decades. The cockpit was already finished as was the main fuselage construction, so I just needed to clean things up, paint it and throw on some stickers. Three days later there it was! 

The link above will take you to the post in the middle of the Sea Venom WIP. The kit was built OOB, nothing was added to it or changed.

100_6984

100_6985

100_6991

100_6982

1:72 de Havilland Sea Venom FAW.53 (completed in June 2016)

CMR

Another fantastic, highly detailed resin kit from CMR. Armed with the expert technical assistance from NAVY870, one of our distinguished forum members, this one is finished in the markings of a RAN example that he restored. There is something about de Havilland twin booms - you just gotta love 'em! I think there's a Vampire and another (gulp) Sea Vixen in my near future.

The link above will take you to the RFI page where you can see more photos, a list of all the corrections and additions that were made, plus a link to the WIP.

IMG_0082

IMG_0076

IMG_0081

IMG_0089

1:72 Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.XIVe (completed in August 2016)

AZ Models

What year would be complete without another Spitfire to add to the brood? This year it was the AZ kit of the beautiful F.Mk.XIVe in the markings of Ginger Lacey. I love the AZ/KP Spitfire kits and have a ton of them in the stash. The ones I've built have gone together well and certainly look the part when they're done. I helped this one out with a resin prop, photoetch cockpit, and vacuform canopy. I think next year I should do an F.21 with a contraprop...what do you think?

IMG_0565

IMG_0560

IMG_0566

IMG_0563

1:72 Blackburn Buccaneer S.1 (completed in November 2016)

Scale Resin

This is the beautiful new resin kit of the Blackburn Buccaneer S.1 from Scale Resin. The detail on this is exquisite, and it is likely the most accurate Buccaneer model available today, thanks to the expert help Scale Resin received from subject matter expert Andy White. I really enjoyed building this kit (even though I hate painting white!) and it looks great next to my CMR Buccaneer S.2. Unfortunately, I relied on some bad information and made the jury struts too long - the wing tips should be much closer together than they are. As soon as I get some spare time, this will be fixed! Now that I know about it, it really bugs me...

IMG_0743

IMG_0751

IMG_0748

IMG_0770

1:72 Grumman F7F-3 Tigercat (completed in December 2016)

Monogram

Last up for this year is the sleek Grumman F7F-3 Tigercat. I started this almost four years ago, and it's been on and off the shelf of doom several times. I went a bit out of control on this one, but can honestly say that it was built "OOB." Only, there was a lot more than one box! After a complete rescribe, there is a ton of aftermarket in this bird. The Aires Super Detail Set fought me here and there, but in the end I think the result was worth it. You have to admit she is a beautiful aircraft - just a wee bit too late for WWII but in time for some combat in Korea.

IMG_0925

IMG_0927

IMG_0930

IMG_0935

Thanks for reading all the way to the end, I hope it was worth your time. See you here next year, and let's hope it's more than six builds. I'll never get through my stash at that rate!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Navy Bird
Photobucket Eradication
  • Like 33

A lovely collection Bill - they really show your superb modelling ability and it was a pleasure to watch them coming together and to learn so much from your WiPs. Thanks very much :)

I hope next year is a better year for your health, your modelling and my education!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

and the other grandchildren advancing to the point where you can have a sort of conversation with them.

So...thirty-five or so?

Joking aside, I'd love to see you tackle a Spitfire 21. What a treat that would be!

• Like 2

Absolutely stunning collection of builds and always a pleasure to see your WIP's.

I think your Firefly wing fold is now the official reference for any future conversions that I have planned.

I might also have to have a go at one of those Buccaneer kits. Your work on your Tigercat is exceptional!

Martin

• Like 1

Thanks mates!   :) 

23 hours ago, Beard said:

They're all splendid Bill, I can't decide which one I like the most. I hope you make more next year.

I hope I make more next year too! The stash is overflowing its boundaries. To be honest, I don't have any favourites out of all my models. Once they go in the display case (or a shoebox) I tend to forget about them and move on. 

21 hours ago, CedB said:

A lovely collection Bill - they really show your superb modelling ability and it was a pleasure to watch them coming together and to learn so much from your WiPs. Thanks very much :)

I hope next year is a better year for your health, your modelling and my education!

Well, the cancer is in remission so if I can keep it that way I should be able to increase the modelling. I don't know about educating you though...     :) 

20 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Oh My!!!  I need a little lie down after seeing those Buccaneers.  All great work, but I particularly like the Firefly

Have  a happy and safe Christmas

The Firefly was satisfying upon completion, probably because of all the work with the folded wings. But those Buccs do look nice, don't they? Why are there no modern tooling injected kits in 1:72? A baffling mystery indeed. Maybe Tanmodel will come out with something worthwhile. 

19 hours ago, Procopius said:

So...thirty-five or so?

Joking aside, I'd love to see you tackle a Spitfire 21. What a treat that would be!

Surprisingly, my eldest granddaughter seems to have a British accent. I think it's from the TV shows she watches. I've got the AZ contraprop F.21 as I think its shape is much better than Special Hobby's. Much better. With one of those Marabu photoetch cockpits, it should look the part.

14 hours ago, alex said:

Hey, I missed you did a scorpion! Nice work, I'm doing the same kit, a real pleasure to build. And the rest is splendid too, as usual! ;)

After I finished the F-89 Scorpion, I went out and bought another so I can do a proper job someday. This one was purely for mojo restoration. 

12 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Beautiful Bill B) - If I could waste my time that effectively, I wouldn't mind at all :) 

Trust me Stew, I am very good at wasting my time effectively!   :) 

8 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Absolutely stunning collection of builds and always a pleasure to see your WIP's.

I think your Firefly wing fold is now the official reference for any future conversions that I have planned.

I might also have to have a go at one of those Buccaneer kits. Your work on your Tigercat is exceptional!

Definitely go for one of the resin Buccaneer kits. Outstanding detail, and not that difficult to build. The S.2 was the first resin kit I ever made.

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Superb collection, Bill :worthy:  :clap::clap: I wouldn't really know which one to pick out, but the Sea Venom and the Buccaneer are probably standing out a bit more :winkgrin: 

You like those two, eh? I kinda like navy birds myself.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

Oh, come on, 1/72nd...really?! They are just FAB-U-LOUS.  All of them. I followed the Spit wip and thoroughly enjoyed it. But for me, the Buccaneer is a real stunner. You might hate painting white (I get that) but you do a damn fine job of it, sir. Superb building.

• Like 1