1/72 Jasmine Model Horten Ho 229

There's most certainly a science-fiction element to some of those cross-sections in terms of shape and form. Quite extraordinary when you see the actual structure of the aircraft stripped back  like that Nigel.

Beautifully precise work btw.

Tony

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That's not like you Nige.....Everything OK?  :shrug:

He's probably a bit fractious from being kept away the Nigey cave. I know I get pretty peed off when I am kept from the Martian bunker for any length of time. :frantic:

Martian

• Like 6

Yes all OK, it's just  that the combination of fragile, bendy parts and superglue can be a tiny bit frustrating at times. Well I have put in a good six or seven hours of construction today and progress  has been good. First I got the spine assembled into the rest of the fuselage:

P1140266_zpsn9mnhjg8.jpg

Next various bits on the tail area:

P1140267_zpsdx0ks17s.jpg

At this point I had my first blade breakage:

P1140268_zpsowjt01p3.jpg

The fuselage section of the instructions were completed by adding various bits in there:

P1140269_zpsokgagsnp.jpg

Now we move onto the cockpit, starting with the seat:

P1140270_zpsygz6hte2.jpg

The seat involved quite a bit of convoluted bending, partially done using my bending machine, finishing with pliers and finger pressure, the sides were then glued:

P1140271_zpsgwsbq93f.jpg

The rest of the cockpit was then completed and installed:

P1140272_zpse8gw6t8c.jpg

Then I moved onto the engine intake area. The rings on this part needed to be bent through 90 degrees, unfortunately despite care one of them snapped off: 

P1140273_zpsvfjlbwv5.jpg

So that had to be glued, hopefully it will be strong enough with the U shaped part added:

P1140274_zpswn2yvjjq.jpg

Today was finished off by adding that part to the front end along with a couple of stingers:

P1140275_zps5xnzatve.jpg

It looks like those will present a nasty snagging hazard, I need to be careful. The next stage is the front landing gear but as I'm away next weekend the next update won't be for another couple of weeks.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 13

Keep up the good work Nigel!!  Its always a struggle when away from the modelling it allows for a recharge of the mojo batteries sometimes.

I have started to organise a "pack" for when away for a few days/weeks so i can at least prep parts when away, it doesnt always work if you know what I mean...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally I have got round to progressing this a bit further. The next stage in the instructions is the front undercarriage, the first of the white metal parts. I have decided to leave the white metal parts in their natural finish as it seems more in keeping with the rest of the kit. Note that the leg has gaps in two of the struts, some flash and some mould lines to clean up. My thinking on the gaps is to bridge them across with some low melting point solder but unfortunately I don't have have my soldering irons with me so that will have to wait for a later date. The PE part will sit on top of the leg and presents a slightly tricky bending job:

P1140338_zpsysg0ngpq.jpg

Here it is bent up and ready for assembly:

P1140339_zpsnk3t1c70.jpg

Here it is glued in position. I have also cleaned up the flash and seams on the leg and front wheel as well as adding a flat spot to the wheel:

P1140340_zps4xdj5cml.jpg

To fit the wheel I had to use flat jawed pliers to squeeze the struts together. During this process a length of one of the struts snapped off leaving an even bigger gap:

P1140341_zpsknh4inf2.jpg

Hopefull I can still bridge across it with some solder.

The last job of the day was to clean up and fold over this 2D strut. You would think that would be straightforward enough but I managed to break off half of the ram part:

P1140343_zpst8zdpljx.jpg

Well that's glued back together now so no big deal. I should have more time tomorrow and hope to get quite a bit more done.

Last night I made myself a chilli con carne with home made guacamole, tomato salsa and topped it with sour cream and cheese:

P1140330_zpsguxjyu2d.jpg

It was excellent.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 11

Incredibly fine work Nigel. It's superb to watch; great photographs and description of the stages.

I find this kit quite beautiful, it's probably a deficiency in my brain (very likely), but for a few of the stages I haven't been able to picture how it goes together. I like that. It's like a complex oriental

puzzle.

That combined with the UFO like appearance of the aircraft gives a fascinating build thread.

That seat is a joy to behold :thumbsup2: .

The chilli looks absolutely yum. Home made Guacamole? I'm impressed :chef: .

TonyT

• Like 1

The chilli looks absolutely yum. Home made Guacamole? I'm impressed :chef: .

Thanks, it was not that difficult really. I do appreciate the comment. 

• Like 2

Today I have been cracking of with the rest of the landing gear. The repaired actuator became part of this assembly for the front wheel gear:

P1140345_zpsuar8lqm9.jpg

That was then added along with the rest of the front wheel as well as a strip right on the nose:

P1140347_zpswgid2ytz.jpg

The wheel is still free to rotate and will only be glued in place when the rear wheels have been added. The super delicate engine intake parts have broken off and will now be left off until much later in the build.

The rear gear parts were then started on, one of the wheels had a lot of flash which needed to be dealt with:

P1140348_zps0d5wbg7e.jpg

Here it is cleaned up and with a flat added. My hand vice was invaluable for holding it during clean up as there is a sharp pip on one side which made holding it painful with just fingers:

P1140350_zpsoospclqk.jpg

They were then quite a straightforward assembly job: 

P1140351_zpsyjclm5y9.jpg

They were then finished off by adding the anti-rotation struts:

P1140352_zpsotkl2anj.jpg

Then it was the turn of the guns which are the last of the white metal parts. They come with some odd bits of flash and need straightening:

P1140354_zpsuc6uy4di.jpg

Here they are cleaned up and added:

P1140355_zpsotx151lp.jpg

The final job of the day was to add the rear wheels and some associated retraction struts:

P1140356_zpsowwnfmjg.jpg

That was a good place to stop as they can harden up before adding the next stages which are the undercarriage doors.

Last night I made myself a dish of poached cod with a cheesy mustard sauce and new potatoes:

P1140344_zpsigouxuti.jpg

Tonight I am going to make a chicken and leek stroganoff.  :eat:

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 11